OKKO Diablo Gain+ … is it worth?

• IMHO Fender and Gibson guitars were/are created very "fast" - if I try 10 of the same kind - I found one or two great ones - some bad and some average.

When I check e.g. Ibanez or PRS I find that guitars of the same kind sound much closer.

Maybe the bad old ones are burned or destroyed in the meantime and only the good ones are still there.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• till I like your Strat! 8o

EDITED FOR TYPOS!

No vintage vs. modern discussion.... ;) For sure there are excellent and bad guitars existing, no matter if they're old or new.

I just bought an outrageous '58 strat, it's a very beautiful guitar with a great tone, that's my favourite guitar now. Of course this is very subjective like everything in life ;)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    first name: Guenter / family name: Haas / www.guenterhaas.de

Edited once, last by guenterhaas ().

• From a philosophical perspective: what is anything really worth? One man's junk is another man's treasure. Therefore, to ask anyone whether a piece of guitar gear will suit you and whether it's worth the investment, is asking for useless opinions that you can choose to supersede or not supersede your own personal experience, or your own opinion for that matter.

• From a philosophical perspective: what is anything really worth? One man's junk is another man's treasure. Therefore, to ask anyone whether a piece of guitar gear will suit you and whether it's worth the investment, is asking for useless opinions that you can choose to supersede or not supersede your own personal experience, or your own opinion for that matter.

You're right, if you're owning several really good, old guitars (like my 2 strats from '58 and '66 or my tele from '66) it's just A LOT OF FUN to play them. For me this is much more important than making investments or reading tests about Stradivaris and new violins. ;)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited once, last by guenterhaas ().

• I really like Gregors playing but I always found his tone boring as hell when he used the "clean Fender plus Okko pedal" in his videos (and sometimes on stage). He is utterly exciting when he plays straight into a cranked amp - what he does on his records. Then he shines and there's tone in spades. But that "clean plus Okko" never did it for me. It always sounds like generic blues lift music then and every guitar sounds the same. I always wondered why he uses that approach when he showcases the guitars he wants to sell. IMHO you can't tell a chinese Strat from a '59 Burst with that approach :P

I don't think this is too off topic actually. At least considering getting a particular tone and the wisdom of buying a particular pedal is the question.

Based on my experience I am of the OPINION: < This is to let readers know I am telling them what I have found to be the case for me and not to be a universal guide for all mankind

Tone is a combination of the tools used and the player using them. If the tools, in part or as a whole, are not to the player's taste, the absolute best performance is NOT likely to happen. For instance : If I am handed a maple neck Fender Strat with "vintage" style singles in all three positions? My playing will be conformed to the guitar and I will feel limited in doing some things the way I prefer to hear them. I couldn't care less what age the Strat is, part of my being most at ease is not going to happen. Performance for me is best when it's all what I hear in my head is happening in reality. Same sort of situation can happen if the amp doesn't do it for me.

What drew me to the Kemper was the ability to capture individual amps rather than generalizations. Yes tweaks are possible with other methods. I have been to tweak-ville with actual amps with varying levels of success. Generally it got damned expensive and not close enough for my ear in some instances.

Thankfully, one can call their own shots when it comes to gear. In a sense, be the center of your own little kingdom and be limited by nothing but budget. I had lots and lots of vintage Les Pauls years ago. Some were just right and some not all that great. Had friends with similar tastes in guitars as well and they could be had at a great prices or a bit of a stretch moneywise.

The making of pickups has come so very far from once upon a time. It's far easier to dial a guitar in with string choice, saddles, or pickups. Having the ability to describe what you are looking for and consulting someone with the skill and the interest to prove they are talented is key.

There are guitars that just are not going to work out, but they are pretty easy to spot the longer you are in the music business. It's a guitar by guitar, amp by amp deal for me. There's some very good features in the KPA which, with very little digging and thought, can get an amp profile where I want, or convince me to move on the next profile candidate. :thumbup:

Edited 2 times, last by 1fastdog ().

• Tone is a combination of the tools used and the player using them. If the tools, in part or as a whole, are not to the player's taste, the absolute best performance is NOT likely to happen. For instance : If I am handed a maple neck Fender Strat with "vintage" style singles in all three positions? My playing will be conformed to the guitar and I will feel limited in doing some things the way I prefer to hear them. I couldn't care less what age the Strat is, part of my being most at ease is not going to happen. Performance for me is best when it's all what I hear in my head is happening in reality. Same sort of situation can happen if the amp doesn't do it for me.

YES! ;)

• Guenter! Nothing at all wrong with liking to make music with your tools of choice. I did the vintage chase thing for many years.

The "newest guitar I have is 23 years old, the oldest I still own is 27 years old.

I was sent this picture a few days back by a friend who has a nice collection of amps. We both follow this stuff still....

Here's a nice one that came up for sale in Nashville. Nice period correct case "candy" which is likely original.:

[Blocked Image: http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/1fastdog/1956Strat.jpg]

• got one and it is a great piece of gear. Got a really great sound with my jcm 800. But also try the Koch Pedaltone (secondhand about the same price). The koch is more versatile but also has a small learning curve before it really shines.

• tried it in the send/return loop of the kemper and it sounds very nice by the way. I think you can get very close with what is in the kemper, but I have to say that the diablo sounds very musically. Got one billion options and now one billion and one (euh two, I have the gain+:-)

• Guenter! Nothing at all wrong with liking to make music with your tools of choice. I did the vintage chase thing for many years.

I don't really chase for vintage guitars, I was informed about the '58 strat from the picture above (the first ones with 3-tone-sunburst) by a good friend. I went to the store, played the guitar and was really "shocked" about the tone and the quality of the guitar, the prize was pretty fair, too. Of course the guitar is from a serious background and everything was checked in detail.

Because I'm a professional player for a long time (not a "collector"...) I own a lot of great guitars, but this strat is just the best strat I ever played. I also play new guitars and several ones from the 70s, 80s and 90s, but this beauty is really a "killer". ;)

BTT: The Okko Diablo is one of the best overdrive-pedals around, I personally prefer the Fulltone OCD, the Diablo is "sweeter", but that's all a matter of taste. Anyway I'll keep it and I use it from time to time.

Edited 2 times, last by guenterhaas ().

I don't really chase for vintage guitars, I was informed about the '58 strat from the picture above (the first ones with 3-tone-sunburst) by a good friend. I went to the store, played the guitar and was really "shocked" about the tone and the quality of the guitar, the prize was pretty fair, too. Of course the guitar is from a serious background and everything was checked in detail.

Because I'm a professional player for a long time (not a "collector"...) I own a lot of great guitars, but this strat is just the best strat I ever played. I also play new guitars and several ones from the 70s, 80s and 90s, but this beauty is really a "killer". ;)

BTT: The Okko Diablo is one of the best overdrive-pedals around, I personally prefer the Fulltone OCD, the Diablo is "sweeter", but that's all a matter of taste. Anyway I'll keep it and I use it from time to time.

Thanks for the clarification. I have never been a collector either. I was really into playing late '50's Les Pauls from 1967- 1984 and was really fortunate to have quite a few and I played a similar circuit of other fellows who also had really nice '57-'60 LP. They were all different and some much better than others. I have sold a good deal of gear to collectors as I was around when the stuff was more reasonably priced or hiding und someone's be for years. I buy what I can use professionally.

One plus is selling to collectors who are also friends which leave the door open for renting something back for recording, but my bases are covered with the KPA as far as amps go. I still watch the Exchange and buy a profile or two when someone does a commercial offer of something a really like.. I suppose when one gets their guitar choice sorted, they look more at what's out there in amps. At least, it was that way for me.
    :thumbup:

• Quoted from "Ingolf" Ahem... I don't mean to sound like bad mouthing anyone or anything but there are people that think that G.H. always sounds the same no matter what pedal he features in his videos.

I really like Gregors playing but I always found his tone boring as hell when he used the "clean Fender plus Okko pedal" in his videos (and sometimes on stage). He is utterly exciting when he plays straight into a cranked amp - what he does on his records. Then he shines and there's tone in spades. But that "clean plus Okko" never did it for me. It always sounds like generic blues lift music then and every guitar sounds the same. I always wondered why he uses that approach when he showcases the guitars he wants to sell. IMHO you can't tell a chinese Strat from a '59 Burst with that approach

tried it in the send/return loop of the kemper and it sounds very nice by the way. I think you can get very close with what is in the kemper, but I have to say that the diablo sounds very musically. Got one billion options and now one billion and one (euh two, I have the gain+:-)

+1

The Okko+ isn't that versatile, though sounding very nice and musically. I profiled my Okko+ together with a Two Rock Studion Pro Plus 35 and got rather close. For me (in the end) just another good sounding Rig in my Profiler. I think -with a little tweaking- this sound could be reproduced with the KPA's huge capabilities also in a different manner !!!