How to get the ITS MY LIFE talkbox sound?

• Hi all,

I'll have to Play some BonJovi tunes, incl. Its my life und Living on a prayer and i'm desperately trying to get an authentic talkbox Sound with the vowelwah and not getting close enough. It misses all the bright crunch and throatiness the original has.

I'm useing TAFs Marshall 1987x as my basicsound and put the vowelwah in the Mod slot.

If you have any ideas, i'd be really gradeful!
    Cheers and up the kempers

• Unfortunately the best/only way to simulate the talk box is with an actual talkbox. Rocktron, Dunlop and MXR all have comparably priced units on the market. The KPA does and amazing amount of things extremely well but I've not come across anything that captures the tube-in-mouth/back into microphone effect well enough to bypass an actual talkbox. Although, with the appropriate amount of tweaking you may comes close enough for cover rock n roll. Let us know how it turns out. :thumbup:

• I've tried various wahs and modulations on the Kemper but no sound came that close

This sounds odd but when my band does livin on a prayer I do backing vocals and you can get away with just playing the guitar part and singing the woo-ahh woo-ahh bits with your voice. This may appear strange but give it a go.

• I use a Rocktron Banshee, because I can do words with it, in addition to vowel sounds.

But, in case you have not tried them, I made two different "backup" profiles, in case of a Rocktron issue at a gig. They are both on the Rig Exchange. The gain level could be increased, if you need more. With my guitars, they are in the "Rocky Mountain Way" to "Living On A Prayer" gain range.

Expression Pedal controlled - soundclip

Talk Box Pedal

Playing Dynamics controlled (no pedal needed) - soundclip

Talk Box Living

• He guys,

thanks for your input.

I was thinking about how a talkbox works, and please correct me,if I´m wrong: Guitar in, a little driver for dist/overdrive, a modifier (mouth), out via Mic/P.A. - and NO amp signal. Having a TC G-Force in my old Rack, i had the idea to use it as my talkbox. I had it setup like this:

Guitar - Kemper (Marshall 1987x Rig) - FRFR (Yamaha HM80)
    Kemper Direct Out - TC in ( driver block - Formant Filter) TC out - FRFR (Yamaha HM80)

This resulted in two independent sounds fed with one guitar. I think this is key when you are the only guitar player in a band. Somehow similar to David5150s idea (btw. I´ll have to try that!!! :thumbup: ).

Only Problem now is the sound quality of the TC when abused like this. The sound is pretty dull, when the drive is set medium and produces ugly spikes when the drive is set to more distortion...

Maybe it´s getting better, when feeding the TC sound into a mixing desk and trying to EQ in some more treble/presence. I couldn´t test that, because the TCs EQ is in the same FX block as the formant filter and you can use only effect of a certain block...

mhguitarist: I´m pretty sure the sound kempers vowelwah produces is sufficiant for the most of the audiance...but i really wish it would be closer. Maybe a simple drive and color algorhythm in the vowel wah would bring us closer. Maybe we could take advantage of the parallel path feature and feed that singal to the vowel filter an chose the output soucre... :thumbup:

• Hi paults,

that´s funny. I downloaded your rigs 20 min. ago. I will try them tomorrow (it´s 2 a.m. in Germany). Wait, no, i will try them now! :D

• Just get a rocktron banshee and be done with it. It'll sound much better than what the kemper can do at this point. Been using one for over 10 years now.

A Banshee will go over really well with the crowd, too. People like to see that tube when you play those songs.

May I ask how you integrate the talkbox into your Setup? I have a wireless system and the receiver sits nicely on top of my Kemper. I would need two long instruments cable if I slave the banshee in, right? One from the the receiver (mostly sitting on a drumriser) to the banshee and on back to the kemper... :wacko:

If I would like to have the talkbox sound AND the amp sound at the same time, to get closer to the recording of IT´S MY LIFE and having a dedicated channel on the PA mixer, , could I use the direct out of the Kemper into the Banshee, (save a return cable to go back to the Kemper), tube in my mouth and go?

I guess the banshee sends a bypassed dry signal out when not engaged? Is there an option you see to mute the banshee out, when not in use? Am I thinking to weird? Will the audience every appreciate??? ;(

• I have a Banshee talkbox in my Kemper FX loop, had to add a Joemeek Floor-Q as a mic preamp but it works perfectly.

Guitar -> KPA Input -> KPA Direct out -> Banshee Input | SM57 -> Joemeek FloorQ -> KPA FX Return

Note: there's a bug in the KPA firmware since 3 or 4 versions ago that turns the direct out ON (and LEAVES it on) after you select a performance that has the FX Loop engaged. With the Banshee in the FX Loop and at low volumes that is pretty annoying, I always have to go to the master section and turn the direct input to "Off" again after using a rig that has the FX Loop on.

• Do you use a MIDI controller to change sounds on the Kemper? Mount your wireless on a board with it, and the Banshee. The output of your wireless is probably low impedance - long cable runs will not degrade the sound.

My live rig is:

Guitars (wired or wireless, depending on the venue) -> ABC (In) box with XY (out)

X out of the box -> TC G-System and Kemper -> Bose L1

Y out of the box -> Banshee

(I use my switch box, instead of the footswitch on the Banshee, because I have it mounted under a shelf on my pedalboard.)

• May I ask how you integrate the talkbox into your Setup? I have a wireless system and the receiver sits nicely on top of my Kemper. I would need two long instruments cable if I slave the banshee in, right? One from the the receiver (mostly sitting on a drumriser) to the banshee and on back to the kemper... :wacko:

If I would like to have the talkbox sound AND the amp sound at the same time, to get closer to the recording of IT´S MY LIFE and having a dedicated channel on the PA mixer, , could I use the direct out of the Kemper into the Banshee, (save a return cable to go back to the Kemper), tube in my mouth and go?

I guess the banshee sends a bypassed dry signal out when not engaged? Is there an option you see to mute the banshee out, when not in use? Am I thinking to weird? Will the audience every appreciate??? ;(

It's very simple. If you get the Banshee 2, it has the option to run the talkbox and amp at the same time. I have version 1 and I use a whirlwind ABY pedal that allows me the same choice. Setup is simple...you just run a cable from the kemper input to the banshee and then you plug your guitar into the banshee...like any other pedal. When the banshee is off completely, you'll get the kemper....when engaged, depending on what selection you use on the banshee, you will either have the kemper and banshee at once or just the banshee and the kemper will be bypassed. Remember that the banshee's sound does not pass through the kemper at all...it goes up the tube and out through a dedicated mic to amplify it's sound to the PA.

Here is my band and I'm using the banshee ( with an actual amp but setup is the same). This was about 5 years ago. It's My Life live video