Another newbie question on guitar sounds this time

• Hi,

I've set up 3 performances with the 5 slots moving incrementally from clean to crunch to lead sounds.

Generally the volumes match well.

I've set the volume pedal as a boost - so normal in heel position, boost of a few dB toe down... Too much and even though the volume is set pre-effects, the patches distort too much - I suspect this is an issue with using my Carvin tube amp fx in for my power amp?.... The effects aren't drives and they behave perfectly with a reasonable amount of boost I just can't put lots on.

My lead sound is a tweak on Lasse Lammert's Soldano Hot Rod 100+ profiled with an OD808......

That patch doesn't seem to respond much to the volume increase. I would suspect the distortion sense but all the other distorted and clean patches seem to match well, as this does too, it's just how it reacts to the master volume boost......any ideas?

Cheers,
    Andy

• Are you overdriving the output? You can see this by the OUTPUT light going red.

Thanks, I will check.....just back from practice where the Kemper performed really well. I moved the volume to post effects and it was more effective.....there are no drives or compressors in the rig though so not too sure why that would've made a difference - I will study it.

Later in practice I wondered if the sound was getting a bit bassy / boomy.....although that could have been for two reasons - my ears had lost their ability to sense the higher frequencies as our keyboard player assures me they do playing at band volume with a loud drummer.....and also using the Carvin Legacy 3 power amp it could've been some tube action going on....

Thanks,
    Andy

• If you don't want the volume pedal to drive distortion, be sure to place it after the Amp.

HTH

:)

I think I had it pre-effects as the manual says "Right before STOMP X. At this position you control the overall volume of the sound, but delay and reverb tails will still decay naturally, when you swell down the pedal." But I think I got the desired result my changing to post-effects "Right after the reverb. At this position you control the overall volume of the sound,
    including reverb and delay tails, that can instantly be attenuated."

Both should've worked, so I can only imagine that something from Stomp X on was reacting to the volume pedal, producing more gain, on my lead patch. But I'll check later when I set things back up again.

Cheers,
    Andy

• Both should've worked, so I can only imagine that something from Stomp X on was reacting to the volume pedal, producing more gain, on my lead patch. But I'll check later when I set things back up again.

Cheers,
    Andy

I cannot imagine what that should be because anything post amp would not produce more gain but more loudness instead. (Except for a distortion post amp...) :)

• This. And since the fx models use floating point maths, it's impossible to overdrive them.
    The only two things you can overload in the Profiler are the D/A / A/D converters (i.e., input and output).