Do I swap my Kemper for powered version

• Hi,

I have spent a good while browsing lots of past threads on this so not being lazy.

I've had my non-powered version for less than a week. Here in the uk, the Matrix class D poweramp GT800FX is about the same price as the uplift for a Kemper with the poweramp.

I can get a Rocktron Velocity 100 for less than half the price though.

On the upside, the self contained version with poweramp would be a smaller footprint, fewer cables, less to go wrong?

On the downside, the Kemper built in amp isn't stereo, although to date, I've never really worked with stereo effects. So, I imagine that unless I want to have a delay bounce from left to right of the stage, the stereo setup would make no difference to me? How else would you use it?

If I wanted to have left and right speakers, just with the same sounds I could still do that....

Currently I have a Framus 2 x 12 guitar cab. I'm using the FX return on my Carvin Legacy 3.

In the future, when funds allow, I might get some passive PA speakers but I'd have to find a practical way to try them out first to be sure I was happy with the sound they give in a band context.....and probably couldn't afford them new...

I did briefly try plugging into a PA at rehearsal today and it sounded really bad....but the keyboard player literally just tried it for a few seconds and then we got on with the rehearsal, so there could be many reasons why that wasn't representative....

Anyhow, I'd appreciate any opinions on what you guys would do / think of the options open to me....I should probably make my decision tomorrow, or Tuesday at the latest....

Cheers,
    Andy

• Swap it if you are able to. When the Kemper first came out, I had the lunchbox non-powered version. I tried a few different setups...running through amp heads, a couple of different power amps, etc....

I waited a year and a bit and finally got a powered rack version back in Jan. and it has been superb! Like you pointed out, less cables to run and its all in one box.

• I have a non-powered rack version. I bought it because I already owned a powered FRFR QSC K10 speaker specifically for use with systems like the Line 6 HD 500 and the Kemper. I get a pure uncolored playback of exactly the sound that is in the Kemper. With speaker cabs the sound will most likely be colored by them.

• I get the impression you're not quite convinced yet if you can make the transition to FRFR in the future.
    In this regard I would swap like PB Gas said and have all the options later.
    The Camplifier tipp is also a very good one but second best because you can return your old unit ATM.

• If I get the poweramp version, will all of my settings come through from my backup....or are the things like output volume pedal position, cab sim monitor off etc that I will have to re-enter.

It's not the biggest problem but I am short of time.....big gig on Saturday, so if I make the swap, I need to be know what might change so that I can take notes of how it is configured today...

Thanks,
    Andy

• Yes, if stereo is nothing more than a bonus for you, and the original powered Kemper is not too expensive for you, you might consider it.
    Also consider the overall power: using a cab which maximum power acceptance is much lower than the power amp's output requires caution. The Kemper power amp is 700 W/8 ohm (and can't work with cabs with a lower impedance btw), Camplifiers go from 90 to 180 IIRC.

A very good passive cab is the Atomic Amplifiers' CLR, which (like most goods you buy online) you can try and return. They send from Ireland.

• Kemper Powerhead + Guitar Cab is simply amazing. I do not know how they do it, but it works extremely well. I would recommend the upgrade from normal to powerhead to everyone that want to play with guitar cab. I like the "toaster" version, because very light and easy to carry (with green Kemper bag).

• Kemper Powerhead + Guitar Cab is simply amazing. I do not know how they do it, but it works extremely well. I would recommend the upgrade from normal to powerhead to everyone that want to play with guitar cab. I like the "toaster" version, because very light and easy to carry (with green Kemper bag).

I read on a post here somewhere that it's made by Bang & Olufsen?