Powerhead output

• Hi all,

This may well be a stupid question, but am still learning lots and trying to get advice on the Kemper Powerhead output. Now, it's 600w into 8 ohm speakers, which I have in a passive Atomic Reactor. The drivers in the Reactor are only 200w, so what I am worried about is the volume on the Kemper somehow getting turned right up by a band mate, my kids etc and blowing the speakers as the power rating for the Powerhead is obviously a lot higher than the drivers.

Is there anyway to control this so the maximum power cannot accidentally be sent through to the speakers? Maybe the monitor output settings? Or am I worrying needlessly here?

As I said, possibly a silly question, but I'm really not up on digital amps as am most used to tubes, but I'd never combine a guitar cab with a tube head with 3x the recommended power-rating :S

• Your concern is fully justified, and there's currently no way AFAIK to predetermine the maximum output.
    Anyway, check how much maximum power the cab can manage, 200 W could be average; if this were true you'd havea larger safety margin :)

The only solution coming to my mind would be the use of an in-line attenuator.

• I have a 100 watt Marshall 4x12 that is 16ohms. I tend to keep the power amp booster at only 2 and then that gives me enough room on the volume to keep it safe.

• There have been a few who blew their cab speakers, and yes, that WILL happen if turned up.

The key, as you know is to get the Distortion sound in the Kemper, and use the Cab for Volume only. When the CAB speakers start distorting, you're in dangerous territory for your speakers.

My suggestion: Get a Dr. Z Brake Lite attenuator and when you aren't using the Kemper, turn the Attenuator's knob over 4 clicks. This will severely reduce the load on the Speakers, and you can just screw that into the back of the Cab.

It's a really good attenuator, cheaper than the Hotplate. Look for it used on Craigslist or eBay or something. You only need the open backed cheaper version unless you have 2 speakers.

Of course, you could do a "Volume" project box from Radioshack. You know, 2 1/4" jacks, 1 Potentiometer and a project box, and just turn the volume down on that, have it somewhere your kids don't know about.

Or, come to think of it, just take a pedal you rarely use, put IT out-of-sight but in-line and turn it's volume down when you are not playing. Hopefully the kids don't find any of these devices!