Tutorials?

• Okay that makes sense. Thanks.

I'm working nights this week, and It's been tiring so I won't be able to check it all out until Friday/Saturday. But any extra information is appreciated.

:)

• That's interesting. I'll definitely have a look when I get home. So I still go XLR but it's different inputs for different things?

It still sounds the same when I listen through the Tascam when recording or when just playing through headphones or monitors.

Yeah, Ideally use 2 balanced TRS cables.

You can set the level from the kemper in the "master" section (press the master button). Refer to the manual (possibly the reference manual).

You can also buy a couple of S/PDIF cables, I can see your interface has digital in and outs. This is what I use. This requires that you can set the interface to sync to an external clock source (the Kemper). Also, if you go this route, get digital coax cables, not any kind of RCA or "phono" connector cables work. Refer to the Tascam manual for details.

• I did have a quick look at spdif but I was only getting a dry signal and couldn't for the life of me work it out, but I did get a guide to doing it so I'll have another look at the weekend.

• I didn't recommend S/PDIF because you seem to be having trouble with your analog interfacing, so thought it was best to deal with that first as it's the simplest. But yes, I use the S/PDIF's all the time though it usually takes you a bit more effort when you first start using them; just clarification for confusion. There's lots of help available for configuring them.

Note you can also set the level from the gain controls on your Tascam. Make sure you're not sending any (red lights) hot signals to the interface and make sure you're setting your interface to either +4 or -10 based on your config... either way you'll not have the same negative impact you were having using mic preamps of the Tascam.

Gettin' funky up in here..

• Per the Kemper Manual, pg 91:
    Analog Outputs
    Master L and R Outputs: XLR balanced,
    1/4 inch TS unbalanced with ground lift, max output level: XLR +22dBu, TS +16dBu

so for 1/4" cables (TS, Tip Sleeve) I'm thinking -10 is your setting for the Tascam

US1800 manual page 13 shows a LEV switch on the back of the unit, one for each pair, 11-12 or 13-14; (-10 +4 are your options) select -10.
    Here's a link to your manual...
    http://tascam.com/content/down…s/535/e_us-1800_om_va.pdf

so you don't need TRS 1/4" cables (that's tip, ring, sleeve), any decent quality 1/4" cable will do.

one last note: IF you want a +4 signal then you would have to use the XLR connections from the back of the Kemper. You would beed cables that had XLR on one side and 1/4" TRS plugs on the other side to make the scenario work. THEN you would select +4 on the 1800's line input switch. Of course you can purchase adaptors that will plug into standard XLR cables to do the trick also. But for now, just keep it simple and use the 1/4" TS Master outputs from the Kemper.

Edited once, last by DukeOURL ().

• just matching inputs and outputs.. be sure to set your Master volume, i.e. you can control it by holding the Master button on the Kemper.. note Main Volume under output volumes.

• Thanks. I've tried the settings mentioned. I don't think it's working for me, adding negative low high shift made it sound more Lo Fi and so did adding character. I've had it six months now and I just don't get something that I find usable.

I think I'm going to put it up for sale, I'm spending too much time messing around and not playing, and listening for those inconsistencies that I hear. I want to love it but I don't. Thanks for all your help.

• Thanks. I've tried the settings mentioned. I don't think it's working for me, adding negative low high shift made it sound more Lo Fi and so did adding character. I've had it six months now and I just don't get something that I find usable.

I think I'm going to put it up for sale, I'm spending too much time messing around and not playing, and listening for those inconsistencies that I hear. I want to love it but I don't. Thanks for all your help.

If it's not for you, then it's not for you.

I can't help but think that the main problem is the setup with the tascam, though.

Have you tried listening on headphones plugged directly into the kemper's headphone out?

• Thanks. I've tried the settings mentioned. I don't think it's working for me, adding negative low high shift made it sound more Lo Fi and so did adding character.

I don't understand what you are referring to, adding negative low high shift??

• Cabinet settings in the tone stack, high and low shift, cab character, etc. My guess is Phil is sensitive to upper mids and high freq, particularly in distortion.

Edited 2 times, last by MLScola ().

• I didn't try that as I spent the day tone tweaking. It's not just a recording problem, it's mainly the overall tone.

I'm open to also not having the skills required to use a unit that's this advanced. It's not just plug and play for me.

I think I am sensitive to certain frequencies. I am thinking about a Bassman Reissue and when looking at videos I can hear that uncompressed, fizzy overtone which might be the micced sound or it might be the amp, which would make me an idiot.

So tomorrow I'm going to my local shop to try out a bassman and then make a more informed decision about it, and then go from there.

• Hey Phil,
    It'll be sad to see you go but everybody has to do what works for them. A lot guys still prefer amps. But I wish you had profiled your Rockerverb, maybe that could've made a difference to you. Then again, if none of the factory or TAF rigs were to your liking, perhaps the whole KPA/profiler/modeler isn't your cup of tea.

I'm sorry I wasn't able to dial in one of your favorite rigs. But every time I pulled one up, honestly ... they sounded okay to me. I play humbuckers but I also love twang and single coils so high frequency overtones in my distortion doesn't bother me. Of course I could be deaf from too many years on stage ;-). Still, I wish I could have been more helpful. Maybe someone on the Forum who has experience taming "fizz" could chime in?

However it turns out for you I wish you the best of luck on your tone quest.

• I listened out on my Rockerverb and could hear stuff similar to what I'm hearing on the Kemper, but it's maybe so pronounced due to the low volume.

I also play single coils, I have 3 Teles!

I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet, perhaps I should preserver for a while longer. A Bassman isn't going to do me any good because they need to be fucking cranked to get them sounding good and I live in a small apartment!

I might need to just get used to it more.

/sigh