An inexpensive back line solution

• For nearly 2 years I have been trying different combinations of FRFR, combo amps (in the loop return, cab off) tube power amps, solid state combos, power amps and lots of different speakers. A usable rig is going the stereo line inputs on a Roland Jazz Chorus 120- the ones from the 70's had speakers that mimic a coaxial, and the amps are stereo. Sounds pretty good live, but does take some tweaking here and there to get each profile right. I was just about to finally shell out some coin for a pair of CLR's after all the months/years of trying stuff out. Then bingo, I found a used Yamaha dg 80 combo with 2 10's in it for 250 bucks at a pawn shop. It was in perfect condition. I enjoy the amp by itself ( it was rated as the best modeling amp back in the day, and still might be- Allan Holdsworth loves these amps. Anyway, I plugged into the return on the back and WHOa! This sounds as good as my headphones (sony mdr) only very amp like in the room either with or without cab emulation. Very surprised and happy. Plenty of gigging volume, easy transport, and VERY LITTLE coloration- the best I have come across so far, and I have tried dozens of different combinations. for 1/4 the price of a CLR, and it functions as a great programable amp by itself too. If you can find one, it will more than suffice. Maybe not quite CLR, but very very close and satisfying. you can have 2 for 1/2 the price of 1 CLR, And they translate to stage volumes wonderfully. They look like amps too, because they are, but they never sounded like this! Full range speakers as well.[Blocked Image: http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/guitars-basses/amps/dg80-210/?mode=model]
    :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:8o:D

• Considering your opinion of the JC-120, a better used option, that is FRFR, stereo, usually sells $400.00 or less, and completely overlooked, is the Roland VGA 7. This was a modeling amp that also offered limited guitar modeling when using a guitar with 13 pin output. It offered different cabinet and amp modeling on par with the VG product line.

I bypass all of that, ( such a waste) and run my Kpa into the stereo auxiliary inputs, and get full use of the KPA cabinet sims.
    These were high dollar when released, ( featuring 2 x 12 " and 2 x 1" with crossover), but are very inexpensive and dismissed because of the 13 pin capabilities. I wouldn't say its light weight, but you will be hard pressed to find a better FRFR stereo combo for the price.
    Roland amps are known for being very durable/roadworthy and dependable too.