advice on KPA selection

• howdy gang,
    I'm new here. my name is Charlie.
    I am going to buy a KPA. I am writing to ask please for any thoughts, advice, and comments on which one to get.
    I'm thinking definitely without built in 600 watt B & O amplifier.
    thats because I have 2 Atomic CLR active wedges.

the purpose of the KPA will be to use in my amateur home studio.
    I have a '62 re-issue strat.
    I have been primarily an acoustic guitar player for decades.
    but last year I was in a show and had to play some electric. it was amazing. (99.9 % of the time I play home alone.)
    since then I got a Brian Moore synth guitar and a Roland GR 55.
    my guitar amp is an old Mosvalve Tubeworks RT 2100 with 2 x 12 speakers.
    I bought the Atomics to play synth and sing through.
    but I read that they are an excellent fit to go with a KPA.
    I am looking for help to decide:
    1) am I right? get a KPA with no 600 watt built in amp
    2) toaster or rackmount.
    the toaster would be good because it won't take up space in my rack (leaving room for other cool rack gear...........my rack is not large).
    but the rackmount is good, because space in general is kinda at a premium around here. my studio is not very large.
    I have read a bunch about the KPA now.
    I am sooo looking forward to getting one. I think I'm gonna love it.
    thank you for any thoughts at all.
    peace,
    Charlie

Acoust-tech Nerdicous Roxus

Edited once, last by chasman ().

• Hello Charlie,

welcome here :)

About toaster Vs. rack I'd not know what to say, I believe it comes to personal preferences. You already know the differences since you've read a lot. I went for the toaster, I like the form factor while... dislike racks LOL

As for the powered version: it'd allow you to use a guitar cab should you feel inclined, but the extra bucks would probably be over-measured. You'd not use the power amp with the CLRs anyway. HTH

:)

• thank you very much for replying gianfranco. (just read about you in your profile. you're an amazing guy man.)
    at first I thought I'd get the toaster.
    but I really don't have to rush.
    the first thing that caught my attention about the rackmount is, that I read that the EQ values show on the LCD screen all the time (which it said is not true on the toaster..........which I wonder: has that been changed in a firmware update???).
    sincerely thank you very much for welcoming me and replying.

• hey thanks alot Ingolf.
    that is excellent news and very encouraging.
    enjoyed some video review that you did.
    great video!!
    if you have time, would you please tell me why you recommend the toaster over the rackmount?
    thank you again. at least now for sure I have it narrowed down to getting the unpowered KPA.

• if I get you correctly you'll use it at your home studio only. The rack version has the advantage that the usb input is on the frontside, easier to add rigs and do backups that way. Also If you already have a rackstand you can integrate it into your system.
    But since there are technically no differences it depends on what is more handy to you. Either way you wont make a bad choice buying the kpa ;)

• Don't forget that with the rack version you don't get the leather strap, which is great when you take your toaster for a nice sunday walk. (not to mention other potential use cases) :D

joking aside:
    I really love the LED collars on the front panel of the toaster. The front USB on the rack version is nice, although it has lost a bit of importance since we can use the Rig Manager. Not a big deal to use the back side USB on the toaster for occasional OS updates or backups, imho. Also I really like the portability of the lunchbox. I frequently take it somewhere and it would be VERY annoying if I had the rack version mounted in a rack with other gear I never need to take with me.

• you guys just all rock. I appreciate your sense's of humor too. :)
    thank all of you so much.
    I am getting the toaster.
    really super excited.
    peace out,
    Chas

edit:
    toaster ordered.
    will be a member of the private forum next week.

Edited 4 times, last by chasman ().

• I have a toaster which I like because I can place it on an adapted amp stand and that way I can see it and adjust it easily even while standing up, easy to carry too.

You're damned if you do and damned if you don't