a Les Paul blind test on the trainwreck

• Which part is played on the real stuff ( 1970 Gibson Custom Les Paul VS Wilkinson V100 copy) 16

1. 1 (0) 0%
    2. 2 (10) 63%
    3. 3 (4) 25%
    4. 4 (2) 13%

Hi !

I've set up a little blind test for you , trained ears should recognize the real stuff easily !

Here is the challenge : there are 4 parts in this clip (after the small intro ) , only one is played on a real 1970 Gisbon custom les Paul.

The 3 other parts are played on the great but inexpensive copy by Wilkinson, the V100 ( the Gibson is worth 20 times the price !!!) Both guitars were recorded at similar gain and without any post EQ & FX .

The amp is the trainwreck ( Liverpool ) by Joptunes , tweaked for les paul ( I can make it available on Rig ex ) . I must say this rig is clearly in my personal top 10 , really impressive on both instruments.

https://soundcloud.com/sound-music-sonic-lab/wreckpaul

Tell me wich part is the 70's Gibby 1 / 2 / 3 or 4 ??

1988 Branko Radulovic Hand Made Strat in Macedonia (SFRJ)

2006 Steve Vai vwh moded with SS frets and Sustainac 2006 (Japan)

2008 Fender YJM , moded (USA)

2010 Tom Andersons Drop Top 2010 (made in California)

2017 Charvel GG sig Caramelised Ash (USA)

2022 Gibson ES 335 2011 Custom Shop Cherry of course ( Memphis)

• Part 2 sounds different from the other three parts. It's a bit boomy in the bass and lacks some of the nasal, honky midrange that I personally love so much about Les Pauls. Based on my experience and the fact that I really hate Norlin Gibsons I'd say that one is the real Les Paul ;)

The comparison isn't fair though, since a 1970 Les Paul from the Norlin era is constructed differently (pancake body and volute) and thus sounds different from their highly regarded 50s predecessors and also from modern clones since today the builders go back to the 50s originals and not the Norlin era boatanchors....

A comparison with a '59 Standard or a modern Custom Shop Historic Reissue would be a bit more interesting.

Both guitars lack a bit of top end though but that could also be down to the profile used. I would really like to check out the profile you used with my R8.

• Bravo good answer is 2 !

Swedish kids are probably playing with LesPauls at the nursery school to develop such a good ear , impressive !

Garrincha , you're knowledge and ear training is awesome, you're absolutely right about the Custom, I didn't know this one had a layered body ! It's tone is less massive than the V100 but I love it's attack and fantastic sustain , play a chord an let it sing for 12 seconds without any problem. The custom also has some wonderful tonal variations if you set the vol and tone pot in unusual combinations, some of them will sound like a single coil, great for rhythm parts.

The V100 has fooled some of you, it's tone is really good with the Duncan Pearly gates on it , I had to lower the vol pot to 8 to match the PAF on the custom. I love this guitar , it's featured on almost all my heavy and rock tracks.

The rig is available in rig Ex as ' Trainwreck clone LP' - remove the lead boost for rhythm - The egnater CAB I use on this rig is a bit dark, but matches the trainwreck amp section so well ...

here is the V100
    [Blocked Image: http://medias.audiofanzine.com/images/normal/vintage-v100-743776.jpg]

here is the 1970 custom
    [Blocked Image: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-FldqROTzxhg/U2tnmOoI0nI/AAAAAAAAAKo/xjIONIvbvck/s1600/IMG_20140418_191451.jpg]