Tweaking sounds to be suitable for live band use

• Hello,

I just wonder - did any of you tried to record either dry signal from each member of your band or some ambient sound of whole band from the rehearsal/live concert and then tried to tweak the sound of your live presets (in any way Kemper offers) at home/home studio on your DAW using monitors/headphones/your guitar cab and the recording with some degree of success at later live gigs? What exactly did you do?

I mean of course - the live situations can be very different from each other acoustic-wise etc. but I'm not sure - maybe there are some proven techniques that I can use to tweak the sounds so there is a chance they will sound good in the live mix and don't have to rush things like when I'm on the gig - you know it - there is no time. And as many of you know - the beautiful sounds you create at home with only the guitar being the source of the sound tend NOT to work that well (there may be exceptions) in live band mix. At least to me it almost never happened that I tweaked some sound and then it would work live. And by the way I know I can send this beautiful sound to FOH and it would be sound engineer's job to tweak it so it sounds good outiside. I'm talking rather about the stage mix, so that the sound I put out that my band hears is great and the sound blends in nicely.

Thank you all for suggestions

• I found (I do not tweak really, only gain and effects) my sounds this way: listen to the band recording (studio monitors, headphones).
    Of course I know that the sounds need to be (I like them to be) on the treble side – no fat bassy sounds that sounds great at home with backing tracks and than disappear live. They translated very well live (FOH and through the guitar cab).

My main sounds are:
    - rhythm1: Tills 2 JVM 2 (factory)
    - rhythm2: LL Juicy (factory)
    - solo: LL Lead (soldano, factory)

Tweaking live is only monitor EQ when guitar cab (provided by venue) is to treble or something like that ...

• Agree with the other posters. I've been using this live for a number of weeks now and both my sound engineer and I are happy. It takes a bit of tweaking and you really need to understand how guitar fits into a mix eq-wise. I use IEM's which is probably a little different than using a cab live. In my case, I rolled off some low end and gauged what the engineer compensated for out front. It only took a couple of gigs to get to the point of having pretty much no EQ needed for FOH. My tone is easier to hear in my monitors, competes less with other stuff and is pretty much in the ball park for all gig types (indoor, outdoor, large, small). I also now have a benchmark eq-wise for looking at other profiles so if I want some additional variety or my ears wander, the transition is pretty easy.

It's the closest thing to an easy button you'll find once you're dialed in.

• Agree with the other posters. I've been using this live for a number of weeks now and both my sound engineer and I are happy. It takes a bit of tweaking and you really need to understand how guitar fits into a mix eq-wise. I use IEM's which is probably a little different than using a cab live. In my case, I rolled off some low end and gauged what the engineer compensated for out front. It only took a couple of gigs to get to the point of having pretty much no EQ needed for FOH. My tone is easier to hear in my monitors, competes less with other stuff and is pretty much in the ball park for all gig types (indoor, outdoor, large, small). I also now have a benchmark eq-wise for looking at other profiles so if I want some additional variety or my ears wander, the transition is pretty easy.

It's the closest thing to an easy button you'll find once you're dialed in.

Thank you all,

and Douzable, could you describe the EQ curve you and your soundman are using - of course if it's not a secret ;) And does it differ much from open-air to small club gigs or not that much?

Thanks

Edited once, last by cool21 ().