Output Question

• Hi all,
    I'm brand new to the Kemper world... 4 hrs to be exact. I have the KPA head and am running it out to an active EV ELX12.. I am getting a very fizzy sound on OD rigs and it other rigs just don't sound quite right. Am I missing something in terms of set up? I am running from monitor out to the EV.. I'm sure this question has been asked before but i can't really find anything clear as to why this is happening?
    Thanks for the help.

• Hi Till, welcome here :)

The causes might be diverse, but I'd start by checking whether you're using the cab in the right way: no mic input, no mic sensitivity... Then:
    Is it set for a line-level signal?
    Do music programs sound good through the same input set the same way?
    Isn't the input sensitivity set too high?
    Any EQ setting?
    Does the sound improve when heard through headphones or different cabs (computer for example)?

Then, I'd give my attention to the Profiler: does switching cabs on/off make for a better sound?
    Do you have any red LED lit when you play (input/output)?
    Are you aware of how a close-mic'ed amp sounds when distorting? At high distortion rates the sound can be frizzy indeed...

These are some hints, I'm sure others will chime in... Meanwhile, feel free to check the above-mentioned items and report back, if you don't mind :)

• Thanks for the response.. The EV monitor sounds fine.. I have hooked it up to my computer, music sounds great... same from my Iphone...I'm not sure how to set it for a line level signal? Input sensitivity seems fine... Flat EQ on the monitor...
    From the profiler> cabs on definitely sound best.. Input output is all green.... So I guess my only other question is which output to recommend for running through a FR monitor.... monitor out or main output.. they both seem to sound the same to me. Sorry for the ignorance.. this a a big learning curve vs. my old school tube amp...

• Welcome.
    Make sure the cab light in the stack section is lit and the 'cab off' option for monitor output ( in the output/ master menu) is NOT flagged.

Ingolf, cab of is NOT flagged. Thanks for the help.

• I have the same speaker. Make sure you go line in and not mic in. If you have the mic in switch it will sound fizzy like the speaker is bad or going bad. Set your monitor out to be controlled by your kemper volume knob and you can then adjust your EV speaker volume to the high side and then adjust your output volume from the front of your Kemper without going back and forth behind your speaker. Let me know if this does it. I played with this a while before figuring it out and thought the speaker was going bad or that I blew something.

"More Guitar in the Monitors" :thumbup:

• Bshaw92,
    I have the ZLX, my bad.. not the ELX.. I don't see a line in / mic in switch.. there is just a dial for adjusting.. I have it more on the line side with the overall volume up. It does sound a little better. I will listen to some profiles, then play them and they don't sound correct to me.. I may look at running from the KPA, to my samson power amp to push my Egnater TM 212 cab. That may sound better.

• I have the ZLX and set it to Music. It should sound fine and not fizzy there with everything else on it set to flat. There must be something else going on, my 1st thought was the Monitor Cab Off button is selected in the Output section but it could be other things as well. Go through the system setup again and read the manual as much as you can, the answer is in there. If you need more help let me know.