TIP: Volume and Tone balancing many sounds for live use

• Here's a way to get your sounds set up for live use, without using up too much rehearsal time -

Before rehearsal:

Choose just one gain sound to use at the next rehearsal.

Choose just one clean sound to use at the next rehearsal.

If you cannot turn up to rehearsal/stage volume at home, you may have to re-adjust these at the rehearsal space, but, adjust the clean and gain sounds to have a good tone and volume balance, so you could switch from a clean to a gain sound during a song.

At rehearsal:

At rehearsal volume (or stage volume, if it is different), you can make the final adjustments to be sure the clean and gain sounds have the tone and volume balance you need to be able to switch from a clean to a gain sound during a song, and for both sounds to sound right onstage. These are now your two Reference Sounds.

After rehearsal:

Add the other sounds you need.

With each new sound you add, compare the volume, bass, treble, etc of the new sound to the the clean and/or gain Reference Sound.

BTW - If you have to turn down at home, your two Reference Sounds will be affected by the change in volume - that is OK. If you adjust your new sounds to balance closely with the Reference Sounds, they will still be balanced when you turn up for rehearsal/performance (or, be so close to being balanced that only a minor tweak will be needed).

• Excellent post Paults. Once you get the reference tone and volume of the clean and dirty you model all the others from that. Think I will try that today. Thanks!

• a possible solution:
    at rehearsal
    take one Sound for clean and one for Distorsion

at home
    take the rehearsal Sound and Play it external to a looper at same volume level(so you have the reference volume)
    now you can dial each rig by playing the loopsequence and playing the new rig, so you can adjust them, it works for me, the most important Thing is to adjust the eq!!!

Cry Baby Slash Classic Wah -> KPA -> main to FOH ->KRK6 -> Monitor out DXR10 -> EXP DVP3 -> Remote: Guitars: Slash Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop - James Tyler Variax JTV59 - Epiphone Les Paul with EMG 81 - Furch GN2 Nylon -> Maybach Lester 60 -> Kemper Powered Cab -/ Focusrite Scarlett

• I think this is a highly recommended procedure for choosing the basic Stack-Sounds (Amp, Eq, Cabinet).

Adding effects a different kind of thing, especially for intensity of reverb and delay. Tweaking during the rehearsals is still always necessary (for me).

For me another method is successful:

Playin in a bluesrock-trio, I got mix of drums- and bass-tracks from our last CD and use it as a playback (in live-level loudness) via our P.A. in the rehearsal room and tweak my sounds. This happens an hour before our rehearsal starts. For me it's also a good starting point.