Question about Low pass or high frequency cuts for live use

• Hey all

I've noticed lots of the more high gain profiles can sound pretty trebly, bordering on harsh sometimes for live use through my dxr10. I know reducing definition in the amp section and if course using the front panel can cut this a bit, but I also found setting a post amp studio eq high frequency to 10k or so and reducing that down by the max -12 helps. But I don't think this is the optimal method either. In my daw I'd just add a low pass at around the 10k but for live use, what do you do that works best?

• My magic number with the studio eq (also use the KPA through a DXR10) is a 1 - 4 dB cut at 5800 - 6200 Hz.

Some times I'll also shift the highs at the cab section by -0.1

Some times I'll lower the highs in the tonestack by 0.3 - 1.2 instead of using the studio eq

Also remember that harshness can be overcome by adding low end, which I find missing in many rigs. In order not to turn things into mud, use one of the studio eq parametric bands with Q 0.600, frequency 160Hz and boost by 1 - 5 dB (depending on how thin the rig sounds).

I mess with the definition usually as a last resort because to my ears it interferes with the rig sweet spot.

I also keep the low cut switch in the DXR10 set to 100Hz at all times.

• Thanks for the replies. In reply to Chamelious : I just thought it wasn't optimal as an eq acting as Low Pass in my daw will cut out all those frequencies above the specific point, whereas the Kemper just reduces the volume by a certain amount, not cut completely - although this is probably not necessary. However, I'm happy that it sounds like I'm on the right track;)

Deny, thanks for the reply too, I'll try adding some of that low end magic, as I find some miss low end too. Thanks for the specifics:)

• You should add bass on the monitor output only.
    It is counterproductive to add bass for the FOH as it would interfere with the bass instrument.
    The factory profiles are very balanced, but a good FOH guy will attenuate the bass frequencies due to that reason, as he would with a regular tube amp.

• You should add bass on the monitor output only.
    It is counterproductive to add bass for the FOH as it would interfere with the bass instrument.
    The factory profiles are very balanced, but a good FOH guy will attenuate the bass frequencies due to that reason, as he would with a regular tube amp.

That's possible for some rigs, in fact now that you've mentioned I believe adding bass in the monitor output is indeed possible for all factory rigs that I've tested, but some profiles require the use of the studio eq in order to add bass in a slightly upper frequency range in order to avoid boominess. Also I always check with the sound guy if my tone has too much bass, and tell them that if that's the case they can engage the mixing board 100Hz cut switch for the guitar channel. All of them have told me they didn't even have to press that switch and have left the channel eq flat.

• Again, thx for the replies. Still love it when Mr Kemper chimes in;) I can't really rely on a 'good FOH guy' though. Many places I play have none or, even worse, useless ones;) I understand that adding bass could impinge on the bass player's territory though, or even the kick drum but thanks for pointing this out. I find the profiles generally very good and extremely usable but there are some that are a little harsh for me at high volumes, and I'm just interested in people's different methods for dealing with this in live situations:)

• One thing which can determine this is tweaking at home volumes. Raising the sound level makes highs more perceivable, so if you tweak at lower volumes your rigs will always have too much highs for your taste when performing.

Tweaking at stage volume is mandatory IMO

HTH

• For me, it's approximately -3.5dB high shelf at around 62Hz (7-string guitar. You could probably go as high as 80Hz without any downsides),
    and -7.0dB low shelf at around 12kHz.

It's my starting point at home, with my monitors, and it's what i use live with a 15" active wedge.

"But dignity is difficult to maintain
    stamina requires constant upkeep
    repetition is boring
    and you pay for grace."