Having trouble reamping using Logic X, RME Babyface, and SPDIF

• Hi there,

I am a new Kemper owner and I am having trouble getting the reamp feature functioning. My DAW is Logic, my interface is a RME Babyface, and I have the Kemper and Babyface connected via SPDIF. I can successfully record the Kemper's sound in real time, but I can't get it to playback the Kemper's sound from a DI signal previously recorded. I am new to reamping so I may be missing something obvious or not intellectualizing the routing between Logic and TotalMix correctly. I've stepped through the wikpa.com article on reamping multiple times, as well as followed the advice from other threads, but I'm still not getting it.

Below is a screen shot of my Kemper Input and Output windows, my Logic project window and the TotalMix Fx window. My guess is my I/Os are wrong, but I'm not sure. When I hit record on the Kemper Reamp L channel, there is no input of the DI signal from the RHYTHM L channel, and there is not output of the Reamped sound from the Kemper (I couldn't capture the recording or the line levels through a screen shot for some reason). In the TotalMix window, there is signal to the SPDIF L Channel in the Software playback. There is also signal to the SPDIF Channel in the Hardware Output.

[Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/If6Hwxn.jpg] [Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/Y6D7Ujt.jpg]

[Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/NirSSHR.png

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

• Its strange, I'm having some problems with reamping too.
    I've checked that my audio interface is sending audio to the KPA through its Return input. The cable has signal and the Kemper Input is set to Return Reamp, but its not making any sound out of it and the input/output leds are not flashing too.
    Anyone with this issue too?

• As a side message, I found the solution to the problem I was having, though its a bit wierd. Its just that I had the SPDIF volume set to the minimum (in Output options page 5) which seems to be controlling the reamping via Return Input also.

• Thanks for the replies everyone.

Following KoMa and nighlight's suggestions, I tried each output routing for the DI track including the one that's supposed to be SPDIF (Output 5-6), but still not luck.

I tried following Ola's Reamping video too but he's reamping a real amp using a Torpedo so it's a little different: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hm46WaRUkFw#t=152 no luck with his tutorial either.

Kukulkahn, are you using an interface that utilizes TotalMix as well? I check all the volume sliders and nothing was set to minimum.

Thanks again everyone, I really appreciate the help.

• your logic i/o configuration is definetly (one of?) the problme(s) here. for instance your rthm l is on the output 5-6. It should be a mono output. you're sure that 5-6 is your spdif-out in logic? at elast set it to output 5 or 6. And input 1 on your reamp tracks is for sure not right. so lets say 5-6- is the right ouput, check your input 1. I suspect that's the missing link.

You need to figure out what each input and output of your interface does in logic. then you should be fine

Good luck :D

• Check that little fire symbol that pops up when you activate the Babyface. The one next to TotalMix. Are your SPDIF outputs active?

Yep, I have that correct.

your logic i/o configuration is definetly (one of?) the problme(s) here. for instance your rthm l is on the output 5-6. It should be a mono output. you're sure that 5-6 is your spdif-out in logic? at elast set it to output 5 or 6. And input 1 on your reamp tracks is for sure not right. so lets say 5-6- is the right ouput, check your input 1. I suspect that's the missing link.

You need to figure out what each input and output of your interface does in logic. then you should be fine

Good luck

I set the outputs to mono. Didn't know that I was supposed to do that so thanks! I've spent a good amount of time trying to see what each input and output does in logic and Totalmix, but I can't get a reamp signal no matter what configuration I try. The only feedback I receive is a slight hum when I turn up the master when input 1 is engaged. I have AS 1 enabled for routing in Totalmix but no signal goes through. However, I am able to record the kemper straight... so that verifies that my coaxial/optical spdif conversion routing is working.

Thanks for walking me through this guys, sorry I'm not quite getting it!

• This is the exact same setup I have. Please let me know what you discovered when you figure it out? Also, if you don't mind me asking, what are you using to get the spdif into the babyface, a converter box?

Thanks!

• This is the exact same setup I have. Please let me know what you discovered when you figure it out? Also, if you don't mind me asking, what are you using to get the spdif into the babyface, a converter box?

Thanks!

So turns out I bought the wrong converter boxes (amongst other issues). Be sure to buy 1 DIGITAL coax IN to DIGITAL optical OUT, and 1 DIGITAL coax Out to DIGITAL optical IN. I had bought digital -> analog boxes but somehow sound was being sent from front input through my speakers even though the hardware shouldn't have allowed for it.

That was part of the problem. The other issue was making sure to Solo the Output Aux along with the DI and Reamped track. If I do not solo the Output 5 Aux track for the Mono Output 5 on the DI track while reamping, then I won't hear anything.

I got everything working and reamped one of my songs which was fantastic. Then I had to change some settings to record a guitar track using my interface's input, and now I can't get the routing correct to reamp again... ?( I did not change anything with the physical routings between the interface and the kemper. I am routing my DI track to Mono Output 5, soloing the DI track, the reamped track, and Aux Output 5. I've been trying to get this working for a few days now with no luck. Thanks for all the help earlier everyone!