KPA in conjunction with AxeFX -- setting levels

• I'm using my KPA in the effects loop of my AxeFX and I am not 100% sure on the best way to ensure that all levels are set as they should be.
    I'm contending with the effects loop block level, input/output levels on the axefx and the levels on the kemper.
    How can I be sure that I'm setting the levels on everything correctly?
    It feels like a lot of 'feel' is lost when I make various changes and then when I dial it in to sound awesome; either the dynamics are missing or it sounds too sizzly.
    Anybody have any suggestions (besides not using the AxeFX; which I would love to avoid doing if the KPA could do everything I need it to.)?

• Here is how I would do it even if I never tried it. I would consider the chain (from guitar to AFX input to send) as if I used normal pedals chain in front of the KPA. So you have to adjust the Clean sense properly to get the best input signal without clipping on the KPA. Second I would adjust the FX return (AFX) the same way. I would use a very clean tone to recognise the clipping vs distortion. Good luck! :)

• Input and output LEDs on the Profiler are your best friends :) Be sure they don't go into red.

Also, on wikpa.org you'll find a chapter related to using the two units in conjunction, it might give you some more hints :)

• I've been messing with this quite a bit lately and think I've found what works best.
    I found another post mentioning that the level in the effects loop block of the AxeFX should be set to +20; but I've found that this does NOT work well and causes the signal to be far too hot.
    Bringing this loop block level up can help a little if you want more volume, but setting it too high can cause some seriously hot levels.
    What seems to be working best for me so far is leaving the effects loop block on the AxeFX set to -0-, then setting Input2 on the AxeFX (signal coming back from the KPA) to somewhere between 10-2 o'clock. Setting the Output2 (signal feeding the KPA) to max; then on the KPA, setting the clean sense to about +8.5 or so.
    I'm trying to keep the volumes at unity gain in as many places as possible to avoid future issues with bringing in other patches that may be set differently.

• I've been messing with this quite a bit lately and think I've found what works best.
    I found another post mentioning that the level in the effects loop block of the AxeFX should be set to +20; but I've found that this does NOT work well and causes the signal to be far too hot.
    Bringing this loop block level up can help a little if you want more volume, but setting it too high can cause some seriously hot levels.
    What seems to be working best for me so far is leaving the effects loop block on the AxeFX set to -0-, then setting Input2 on the AxeFX (signal coming back from the KPA) to somewhere between 10-2 o'clock. Setting the Output2 (signal feeding the KPA) to max; then on the KPA, setting the clean sense to about +8.5 or so.
    I'm trying to keep the volumes at unity gain in as many places as possible to avoid future issues with bringing in other patches that may be set differently.

I guess you took the +20db tip in the FX LOOP Block from my post: Axe FX II + Kemper together (Kemper in the Axe FX II FXLOOP), the ULTIMATE TONE RIG!!!!!!

If you have the Kemper loaded with profiles at "regular" volume, the signal is not too hot, same thing if you have the level outputs in the Kemper set right.

I tried your configuration and your level settings and I can assure you that you are losing a lot of dynamics (specially in the clean/overdive profiles) because you are feeding the signal going to the KPA(thru Axe Output 2) too much.That is basically your guitar signal, so, turning that signal up , will make all your guitars or pickup configuration sound the same, as you are feeding the KPA with a boosted version of your guitar signal, so your original guitar tone is changed.

Is very easy to detect if you A/B the guitar with an A/B pedal going thru the Axe with that configuration and to the Input of the Kemper directly.

Also, as you are boosting the guitar signal, all the guitars will sound kinda the same, even if you adjust the input for each guitar, as long as you are boosting the original guitar signal that is going to the Kemper thru the Axe Output 2.

I went that road before, and the output 2 adjustment that I explained in my post is the configuration that keeps the original guitar signal exactly the same going to the Kemper thru the Axe Output 2 as if you were going directly from the guitar to the Kemper, tested and A/B'd that with a pedal, changing that Output 2 setting changes the original guitar signal going to the Kemper from the Axe Output 2.

That's why you have to set the +20db in the FX LOOP block, to equal levels/volumes in the output....that doesn't change any tone, is just a matter of volume, but changing the Output 2 levels in the Axe DOES change the signal and the tone, not just the volumes.

Proud Kemper+Axe FX II user.....yes, you can hook'em together, they WON'T explode.

Edited 2 times, last by SteelEdge ().