DIrect Output not hot at all

• All, here is my situation. I have the KPA powered rack and I’m using the direct output TRS 1/4" to XLR (balanced) going to my Apogee Duet which is using the XLR, from duet to pro tools.

On the KPA I have the direct output set to “Git Studio” as per the reference manual, I have the duet set to +4 so I am not using the pre-amp inside the duet and within pro tools I am using input monitoring.I am getting a signal and the sound, sounds good. The problem is that the signal coming out of the KPA it is not hot at all, barely pushing anything. And I can't seem to get anymore out of the KPA it at all, to include adjusting the input sense.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to make this set up work better? Am I missing something? I don’t have s/pdif access so that’s out. I would like to be able to adjust the input levels to the point where I would have to back it off a little.

Thanks,
    Paul

:thumbup: "A single note can be short lived but a melody will last a life time." Paul Muller

• What is your main output set to? Chances are that it has been lowered a lot (-15 to -20dB) if you have used a direct XLR-connection to a mixing-console or recording desk in the past. This would make the 1/4" output quite low.

• A quick question : why would you want the signal to be any hotter? 24-bit recording doesn't require signals to be as hot as in the analogue days, where traditionally they'd be hotter to make the most of the poorer signal-to-noise ratio. If you're tracking with peaks of anything higher than -12 - -10 dbFS then you need to think about your gain staging.

Cheers,
    Sam

• The direct out volume is set to -0.0db and the main out, monitor out, direct out and headphone links are all checked.

The main output volume is set to -1.2db.

I agree with you Sam but I am not getting anything higher than -12 - -10 db. more like around -20db. I was wanting just a little more signal.

Any ideas….

:thumbup: "A single note can be short lived but a melody will last a life time." Paul Muller

• The level on Direct Output when set to Git Studio is dependant on the Input parameter Clean Sens. Try bringing up the Clean Sens and you'll see how the level rises, same happened to me.
    I also find that when setting the Clean Sense according to the manual making clean profiles sound as loud as distorted ones, the direct output level is still a bit a low, but sure you can find the intermediate point.
    Hope this helps!

• Thanks for the reply. I will check that again, I read that in the manual but when I adjusted it last night it made no difference on the output. I have time on about two hours to mess around with it. I'll keep you posted.

• Ok so here it is. The inout sense setting have no direct affect to the overall signal going to the duet or pro tools. I am recording at -20 - -14 db I can not seem to figure out a line level recording situation where I have to ability o clip the signal. No, I don't want to clip but I do want to have control over the signal strength. When using a line level input which is the best source to use, I don't have s/pdif and the best place to attenuate it from. I am close but con not figure this out. Anybody out there got anything on this one.

• Have you tried to use XLR directly to the Apogee? I use direct XLR-connections for the mains for both live and recording purposes. To avoid complaints from the FOH/recording enginners about an overly hot signal I have to back off 10 to 20dB on the KPA's main outputs. If the apogee is able to handle hot (line-level) signals on XLR you may not even have to limit the KPAs output.

• What I am trying to accomplish is recording my guitar signal from the KPA through the Duet to Pro Tools. I am coming out of the KPA Direct Out using a 1/4" and going into the Duet with a XLR. Is this the right way to record into Pro Tools? Like I said I am getting a signal just not a strong one mostly between -20 - -14 db. It doesn't really cut through.

• I am coming out of the KPA Direct Out using a 1/4"

Ahh ... I didn't notice that about direct out. Was thinking a direct connection from main out rather than using the port named "direct out".

Direct out is just a "copy" of the input, as if you're plugging your guitar directly into the computer's soundcard. Some people record this signal alongside the regular amp-output for re-amping purposes, but to do so you either need an audio-interface with a high-impedance input, or to run the signal through a flat/neutral preamp such as one found in an active DI-box to bring the signal up to either mic-level or line-level depending on the interface you're plugging in to. It is quite common for multi-port audio-cards to have one or two inputs labelled "Hi-Z" that you can plug a guitar directly into. With such a card there's no need for a DI

Edited 2 times, last by heldal ().

• Found the problem, I was using a balanced cable instead of a unbalanced. Works great now. Thanks to everyone for the help.