KPA through a PA: Signal is still too hot

• Our sound guy has been telling me that my guitar signal sounds distorted through our system. I brought the KPA to reharsal last night and noticed the same. The red Peak light remained lit whenever I played. Please keep in mind that we
    use a different board at rehearsal vs gigs.Sadly, the result is the same. I connect to yhe PA via the left XLR out, set to mono.

Any help would be appreciated.

Best
    Ron

• There are two things you should do to please your soundman:

1. Cut the main output level by 10-20dB (about -15dB is usually ok) in the output section if you use XLR outputs. Many moden pro-level digital consoles operate all inputs as mic pre's. For line-level inputs they require the use of external DI boxes. You may run the KPA 1/4" main outs through DI to the desk, but you can just as well run direct XLR-XLR if you pull back on the level.

2. Detach the main-outs from the master volume in the output section. Then you can mess about with other volumes (headphones, monitor) as much as you please on stage with no effect on the signal going to FOH.

• There are two things you should do to please your soundman:

1. Cut the main output level by 10-20dB (about -15dB is usually ok) in the output section if you use XLR outputs. Many moden pro-level digital consoles operate all inputs as mic pre's. For line-level inputs they require the use of external DI boxes. You may run the KPA 1/4" main outs through DI to the desk, but you can just as well run direct XLR-XLR if you pull back on the level.

2. Detach the main-outs from the master volume in the output section. Then you can mess about with other volumes (headphones, monitor) as much as you please on stage with no effect on the signal going to FOH.

Thank You. How do I "detach" the main outs?

Best
    Ron

• Ron, just to check things: are you saying that it's the Profiler's output LED to clip red?

If this is the case you have to lower the Volume knob. Then (provided you're not clipping the PA's input) you can compensate via the Master volume knob.

:)

• Well, just turn down the volume! ;)

Regrettably, that doesn't work. Thanks for your insightful response.

Well he's right .Just turn the volume down. there are several places in the KPA where you can decide which volume to send at what level on the OUTPUT page. you can decide the volume for every different output Spdif , master , monitor

sometimes opening a manual helps !!

• How do I "detach" the main outs?

Press "Output". Then use the page-buttons to scroll to page 2/5. The checkboxes at the top of that screen indicate which signals are affected by the master-volume knob. Press the button above "Main out link" to deselect.

• Gianfranco:

Thanks for your reply. I'm clipping the PA's input. I noticed it at rehearsal on Friday.

Do you have the input set to MIC or LINE? It still may be necessary to use the Channel Input Gain knob on the PA mixer, if the Kemper is sending a -21db signal to a MIC input.

Microphone level is usually specified between -60 and -40 dBu.

Pro Line level is considered to be +4 dBu.

"Prosumer" line level is -10db.

• I'm a bit taken aback by the flood of threads recently about output being too hot or too low. Seems to me you'd just have to go into the output section to rectify this. Alternatively, if the problem is on the interface side of things, it's just a simple matter of selecting +4 db, 0 db or a negative db option to rectify the issue.

Also seems a lot of the problems are centred around XLR outputs. Could someone run a test to see if anything has changed?

• Here are a couple of possibilities:

Kemper Profiler Operating System 2.4.1 Public Beta
    This firmware introduces the following new features.
    -added: reset of global parameters 'Init Globals' in System menu

Kemper Profiler Operating System 2.2.1 Release
    fixed: Compatibility issues with older output presets are fixed. Output presets created under 2.2.0 need to be recreated.

• Could someone run a test to see if anything has changed?

I haven't run any formal tests, but I haven't registered any changes in output-levels from the KPA between any of the firmware releases I've tried in the 18 months I've had the profiler. There has been issues with settings being lost in upgrades, but once set levels have always seemed constant to me.

• You, viabcroce? The creator of the wiKPA telling someone that clean sense will stop their input from clipping?

Just kidding. I find it behaves the same way too. If Mr CK comes here, I'm sure he'll mumble something about no one truly appreciating his creation ^^

You're absolute right tho, I saw "PA" and read "KPA". Original post corrected!

IMO, the PA's input sensitivity is too high, wnatever the OP says :D

PS: If you do not mind, would you please be so kind to cancel the statement you quoted, in order to not ingenerate misunderstandings? I can already see people writing on this board "I've read on the forum that you have to lower CS in order to not overload the console" :whistling:

:)