reamping question

• Got me Kemper last week and it's a dream, ridiculously good guitar tones are going on to my tracks.
    The manual is another thing, not too impressed tbh.(or maybe I'm thick...)
    So can somebody walk me through the reamping scenario please?

I have a new SPDIF cable ordered as the one I had doesn't stay in place in the KPA, should be here soon.
    Do I need 2 SPDIF cables to do reamping?

Thanks,
    Mike

• Yes, you'll need two, otherwise you'll have to make do with the 1/4" outs when reamping.

Steps to take:
    1) Go to output section. Change SPDIF output to Guit/Stack
    2) Create mono track in DAW. Record left input, that's your DI signal. You can monitor the right input to hear the actual tone, minus delay and reverb.
    3) Go to input section on Kemper. Set input to SPDIF.
    4) Change output of SPDIF or your main outs to master stereo or stack, depending on whether you want to add delay and reverb then or later.
    5) Route signal from DAW to Kemper. Re-record resultant signal in DAW.

• Well, I did all that and got the recorded track in but...
    I'm getting the whole track back in to the KPA not just the track I want, obviously my sound card set up isn't right within Cubase.
    The card is an EMU 0404 and I cant for the life of me find out how to send that one track from Cubase to the SPDIF. I've appended strips on the 0404 and none of the combinations have worked.
    It's getting on for 2 hours now...:)
    Anybody know how to set up the KPA-Cubase-0404 combination?

Thanks,
    Mike

• You should do the routing in Cubase, not within your EMU Mixer. Just select the track you want to send to the Kemper and mute all the others or ensure that they are not outputting to SPDIF. Then, change the output of the DI track to SPDIF. You'll have to create a bus for this with the SPDIF as output. Remember to go to the Kemper input section and set it to SPDIF input. Hit record and you should only be recording the track you want to.

Remember, if multiple tracks are set to output to SPDIF, they'll all be send to the Kemper. You want just one to be doing that.

• Thing is, to make a separate out within Cubase I have to have a separate port available (in this case the SPDIF)
    If I change the outs to SPDIF in Cubase everything is routed through it, hence I need to create a separate out in the EMU patchmix.
    Problem is when I do this the Asio outs within Cubase disappear.

• Cubase has a system of buses for transmitting signal.

1) Go to the section called connections in Cubase
    2) Create one pair of stereo outputs for your speakers. This will be analog 1+2 usually. This will be Bus 1, you can set a name for it.
    3) Create another pair of stereo outputs for SPDIF. This will have SPDIF left and right channels. This will be Bus 2, set a name for it.
    4) Go to the track you have a DI on. Set it to Bus 2
    5) All your other tracks should be set to Bus 1, so that they playback through your speakers.

You are not supposed to change your master outputs. Just the output for that specific DI track ^^

• Mate, if it was that easy I'd have done it already.
    The way the 0404 works with Cubase, the spdif doesn't just show up as a separate isolated track, the patchmix has to be appended in a certain way.
    Still working on it...
    Thanks for the help,
    Mike

• Got it working finally.
    I had to create a new strip in the Emu patchmix, reconfigure the Cubase ins and outs and then create a send within the patchmix
    to go only to the SPDIF and re-route the track within Cubase to the new out.
    I did a test recording and the signal is quite low coming back in to Cubase from the KPA (normalising helped)
    Are there suggested volume settings within the Kemper?
    I thank you.
    Mike

• Glad you got it working.

Don't forget reamp sense in the Kemper input settings dialog. This allows you to boost the level of the DI through the Kemper.

I usually get a too hot signal from my DI and I find lowering the volume of the track in Cubase helps to feed a more neutral signal to the Kemper, similar to my guitar level.