Ambrosi Amps' K-Power Amps - Retrofit poweramp solutions for the Lunchbox - With pictures & videos

• I know man, that was just wishful thinking on my part.... having finally found what seems to be a perfect solution for me, cut me some slack for jumping up and down with my hands in the air going "oooh! oooh! oooh! here! here! gimme! gimme!" ;)

Whenever this thing happens, I'm all in. Thanks for putting in the effort, much appreciated!

I'm just trying to be as truthful to my experience and personal opinion that I'm clearly presenting only as a personal opinion no more no less in an honest and truthful discussion about equipment.

• OK, so anyone got a tip on a 1x12 cab that won't break the bank (already broken by Kemper purchase, think all the king's horses and all the king's men) and is as linear and frfr as it gets realistically?
    I remember reading folks changing speakers in TM60s but when this thing happens I'll need something without a poweramp.

I'm just trying to be as truthful to my experience and personal opinion that I'm clearly presenting only as a personal opinion no more no less in an honest and truthful discussion about equipment.

• , so anyone got a tip on a 1x12 cab that won't break the bank (already broken by Kemper purchase, think all the king's horses and all the king's men) and is as linear and frfr as it gets realistically?I remember reading folks changing speakers in TM60s but when this thing happens I'll need something without a poweramp.

Speakers (in the closed cab of your choice !):
    http://www.toutlehautparleur.com/beyma-12ga50-8ohm.html
    http://www.monacor.co.uk/produ…coaxfullrange/vnr/104240/

• I know man, that was just wishful thinking on my part.... having finally found what seems to be a perfect solution for me, cut me some slack for jumping up and down with my hands in the air going "oooh! oooh! oooh! here! here! gimme! gimme!" ;)

LOL

where's in fact the :happyboucing: icon when one needs it? :D

OK, so anyone got a tip on a 1x12 cab that won't break the bank (already broken by Kemper purchase, think all the king's horses and all the king's men) and is as linear and frfr as it gets realistically?
    I remember reading folks changing speakers in TM60s but when this thing happens I'll need something without a poweramp.

Would a passive CLR be a bankbreaker for you? It's the best I can think of, and if you are in Europe it would be a real bargain :thumbup:

Anyway, sad to say, forget that a linear cone in a box makes a linear cab. You'll need at least two transducers, you'll need to calculate the resonance frequency of the box in relationship with the amplitude response of the transducers and a lot of other things.
    The world would otherwise be full of linear cabs, while in fact they all sound different :)

good stuff :) thx for the vids Gianfranco.

Thank you Renaud :)

• Would a passive CLR be a bankbreaker for you? It's the best I can think of, and if you are in Europe it would be a real bargain :thumbup:

Anything Atomic I always felt was beyond my means but admittedly all the references to it were to the powered box so I didn't look into it at all. Care to elaborate how's that a bargain if I'm in EU (which, incidentally, I am ;) )? All the prices I see are in $ which usually means shipping+import duties.

Also, this is quite discouraging
    "EU, UK and Scandinavian requests will start being filled by mid February."

Anyway, sad to say, forget that a linear cone in a box makes a linear cab. You'll need at least two transducers, you'll need to calculate the resonance frequency of the box in relationship with the amplitude response of the transducers and a lot of other things.
    The world would otherwise be full of linear cabs, while in fact they all sound different :)

Oh I do realize that. As with the poweramp I'm looking for a bang for a buck, not really the best absolute solution. I'm a bedroom player and the money is tight so I'm looking for "Ambrosi equivalent" in the cab world. Something worth spending money on, but not necessarily powerful enough to play Wembley. Something that can do Kemper (and Ambrosi amp) justice without costing an arm and a leg. I don't play for thousand folks every weekend but at the same time I don't want to significantly limit my own experience if a little research can get me most of the way to the solutions costing many times over.

• OK at first I was actually considering the CLR but if those prices are without VAT then it's not gonna happen.
    What's the next best thing that's more palatable pricewise?

• OK, good stuff Ingolf!

From what my google-fu tells me, that one is fan cooled. How loud is it? Usable for "bedroom" jamming or does it need to be cranked to cover the fan noise?

I'm quite sure this has all been covered ad nauseam around here but as a noob I'm simply overwhelmed by all the information available...

• That's great!

I don't mind a little bit of noise (none of my amps were ever dead quiet anyways :rolleyes: ), as long as it isn't obnoxious at which point I'd probably open the thing up and put the fan on a switch.

Just found your A vs Y test on YT so checking that out!

• The Yamaha is an active cab tho. I was referring to passive cabs. A passive CLR costs 750 $, more or less 600 €. The cabs arrive from Ireland, you'll only spend around 20 € for delivery.

As for the overall power of your system, I think more in terms of linearity than wattage: true, you don't need the most powerful solution, but more linear is always better :)

• The Yamaha is an active cab tho. I was referring to passive cabs. A passive CLR costs 750 $, more or less 600 €. The cabs arrive from Ireland, you'll only spend around 20 € for delivery.

As for the overall power of your system, I think more in terms of linearity than wattage: true, you don't need the most powerful solution, but more linear is always better :)

There is of course no DSP on the passive CLR which means that it could be more difficult to get the same result as with an active one out of the box. Some EQ may have to be apply. Here is what Jay Mitchell said about it in another forum:

''I'll say this one more time: there is no way a passive CLR with a power amp - no matter which power amp - will ever perform better than an active CLR. The very best that can be achieved - assuming you have sophisticated test instrumentation, parametric EQ, and the ability to use those two items - will be to produce the same sonic results with a passive CLR/power amplifier combination as you will get right out of the box with an active speaker. But there is absolutely no way you will manage to design the active CLR's built-in transducer protection measures into your package.''

Also the Active CLR has an active crossover and is bi-amplified. Just some considerations before going this route.

• Oh, believe me when I say I know almost everything (from a user's standpoint at least) about the CLR in any version ;)

Muddyfox was considering getting a K-Power Amp, and asked for a passive 1x12" to couple it with. The passive CLR won't behave any worse than any other passive cab on the market with the K-Power amp.
    Buying an active cab is of course a different pair of shoes, and falls outside the scope of this discussion :)

Please guys, do not hijack the thread. Thanks :thumbup:

OK, I still haven't figured out whether that's the final price or is there a VAT to be added to it?

• Sorry,don't want to hijack the thread at all, I am a potential buyer of a K-Power Amp and was considering my choices about the cab I would use with it. The passive CLR is on my list but maybe a passive Matrix Q12 (or CFR112) would fit the bill better considering that their active counterpart doesn't use any DSP and are not bi-amplified.

• OK, I still haven't figured out whether that's the final price or is there a VAT to be added to it?

Well, since there's no VAT in the USA your local trade laws will apply. It depends on your country. Why don't you ask for the final price on the Atomic site? :)

Sorry,don't want to hijack the thread at all, I am a potential buyer of a K-Power Amp and was considering my choices about the cab I would use with it. The passive CLR is on my list but maybe a passive Matrix Q12 (or CFR112) would fit the bill better considering that their active counterpart doesn't use any DSP and are not bi-amplified.

The CLR is certainly more linear than Matrix' cabs. I guess it depends on what you want to achieve. People who bought the Matrix usually say they are very happy with their purchase :)
    I'm missing the link between better fitting the bill and the active versions not using a DSP tho :)

• Oh, believe me when I say I know almost everything (from a user's standpoint at least) about the CLR in any version ;)

Muddyfox was considering getting a K-Power Amp, and asked for a passive 1x12" to couple it with. The passive CLR won't behave any worse than any other passive cab on the market with the K-Power amp.
    Buying an active cab is of course a different pair of shoes, and falls outside the scope of this discussion :)

Please guys, do not hijack the thread. Thanks :thumbup:

I'm sorry for derailing this somewhat, I'm still trying to wrap my head around all the amping possibilities for my toaster. :rolleyes:

At first, I was looking for a cheaper (and possibly better) alternative to Camplifier, just to stick it in there and be able to use any and all guitar cabs I run across (with sonic caveats, of course).
    I'm still not convinced that passive CLR, costing 600eur (more, if VAT isn't included) is the most cost-efficient way to go for me. And if I were to go down that (expensive) route, as per Jay's own words, wouldn't a powered CLR make more sense than a K-Amp + passive CLR?

I find it hard to believe that a Kemper into a K-Amp into a decent guitar cab will sound like crap... it may sound nothing like the amp profiled, but not being a corksniffer myself, I'm guessing it can still sound excellent in it's own right? Are CLRs, DXRs and Qs the only way to go for "real toanz" out of the toaster and everything else is just not worth the hassle?

I'm not trying to troll here, genuinely interested in real world experiences from people who've gone both ways. Money is tight around here and I'm just looking for the wisest way to spend it.

• An active cab makes sense, but you won't be able to use any other guitar cab, which is the purpose of retrofitting the Profiler. If you go the active route and are not interested in guitar cabs any more, you'll be good to go.

It's not a matter of sounding crappy, but rather of what you want to achieve. Since you are unsure about that, and still figuring it out, a not-expensive, linear retrofit is more versatile, because it will allow you to either use linear cabs, traditional guitar cabs, or in-between cabs such as the Matrix.
    What I just said is that the CLR is the most linear passive cab on the market in its price range: it's not a mandatory choice nor probably the only one able to make you smile, specially since many diehard rock guitar players want a guitar cab behind them :thumbup:

Now, please, let's stick to passive cabs and retrofitting amps :D
    There are many other threads about active cabs, let's possibly continue the discussion there :)

• Roger that! :thumbup: I'm gonna investigate the active line elsewhere on the forum but as it stands, I'm still most interested in amping the toaster and using a passive cab with it, mostly because of variety and availability of options.

That said, and I've sent an email to TK about pricing in the meantime, what's the next-rung-down-the-quality/price-ladder when it comes to passive linear cabs that I should take under consideration?