How to get the right sound...? Help!

• Ok, got the Kemper a few weeks now. I use cabinet (Blackstar 2x12). Not really happy with the sound especially when playing high gain and distortion. Somehow sounds like a can of Coke.

Is it my guitar ES 335 (I tweaked the clean sense does not help)?

Is it my cabinet (I turned cab sim off)

Is it the camplifier built into the Kemper?

I love the clean sounds though..

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks ! ;)

• Have you found any gain sounds that you like in studio monitors, a good pair of headphones, or even home stereo speakers?

If you haven't tried that yet, find a couple of likely candidates.

Then, try them with your cabinet. You will hear if the cabinet's sound is the issue, Try using the output EQ to adjust them to sound more like they did with the above gear. If you cannot get them to sound good using the output EQ, you may be happier with a monitor cabinet instead of your guitar cabinet.

• You're talking about high gain and distortion with an ES 335. I'd say it's simply the "wrong" guitar for these kind of sounds.

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

• Thanks guys. Indeed, I have to say the Kemper sounds great using headphones (and I have quite a cheap set), also the high gain and distortion sounds. So, it must be related to the cabinet/guitar combination, or the guitar.

With my Engl Gigmaster my ES 335 sounds great on high gain and distortion, so .... And Clapton and others let it roar as well...

So, is my Blackstar the problem? Can I solve it with just tweaking the EQ? And where do I start, id it the mids, the presence or...

Just to be sure: I ticked the box "cab sim off" in output, but my "cab" light in the middle section still burns. If I turn of that light, the sound is different (still bad). I thought when ticking that box it would be by-passed.

Watch out: I am a Kemper beginner....

• "Cab sim off" in output menu turns the cabsim off only for monitor output while it is still on for the main outputs. If you turn it off in "the middle section" it is off for the main outs too.

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

• You need to switch off the middle button. That could explain why you had sub-standard results. Another thing: try out some direct profiles with your cabinet, you might like the sound better because it eliminates the cab from the signal chain.

And be reassured! Firmware 3.0 is coming out soon and will make it easier to separate amplifier from cabinet, at least with profiles created using the new profiling engine. Around that time, you should see a lot of new, fresh stuff coming out on the rig exchange.