Comparison of one box stereo amplifiers

• Hi all,

I am still on the quest for my perfect kemper amplification solution. My needs are that I want something for home. Not too big, but big enough to be loud (no neighbours). I am currently using the Yamaha THR-10 which is pretty good to be honest, but not quite loud enough so I easily get it to distort. I also feel like I'm missing some bottom end oomph. In general I will be sitting about a metre or 2 away so I'm not worried about stereo imaging.

Anyway, I have done a comparison table on google sheets of the ones that I have seen on the internet and shortlisted. It is a bit of strange mix of sizes and target markets, but I think I have picked up on the most suitable products. If you have anything to add in please let me know. My main problem is that it is going to be hard to listen to these in person, much less find them all in the same place so that a back to back comparison can be done.

Google sheets link here

Unfortunately this forum doesn't accept embedded html so I can't show it directly here (please follow the link above), but the list of amps is as follows: (feel free to suggest other relevant ones)

Audio Pro Allroom
    Blueamps 3
    IK iLoud
    Marshall Hanwell
    Marshall Woburn
    Mission Gemini 2
    Monitor Audio s300
    Roland AC-90
    Thodio iBox XC
    Yamaha THR-10

Edit: from namm 2015 Ashdown BSocial

• Well I was a bit surprised that no-one was interested as these are the perfect bedroom solutions.

Anyway, I bought the marshall hanwell which is very good. Let me know if there is any interest in a youtube demo,

• Well, other than the THR, I've never heard of any of the others.
    Would certainly like to see a vid of your amp choice and hear the rationale behind it.

I'm just trying to be as truthful to my experience and personal opinion that I'm clearly presenting only as a personal opinion no more no less in an honest and truthful discussion about equipment.

• Blueamps 3 = BlueAmps "Blue 3" ;) And there are no coax speakers inside.

If you talk about the frequency range you have to take a look at the spectrum plots and the 2 points, where the line is flat. The range of the "Blue 3" is 30 - 25.000 Hz if you want it -15 dB like many other manufacturers. Loudness max is 120 dB, weight is 14 kg and notes: bluetooth receiver inside!

http://www.blueamps.de/ampscabs/blue-3/

• Thanks for the update. I will add/change that info.

I haven't added price info alongside them all, but there are significant differences - along with the significant differences in capability.

• Very good point.

I'm going to try to set up a shootout with the amps I have on hand here.

Tone King Imperial
    Princeton Reissue
    Yamaha THR-10 (with and without kemper)
    Marshall Hanwell

I already know that the hanwell blows the THR out of the water for bass and volume.

• I already know that the hanwell blows the THR out of the water for bass and volume.

How's the price comparison on these two?

I'm just trying to be as truthful to my experience and personal opinion that I'm clearly presenting only as a personal opinion no more no less in an honest and truthful discussion about equipment.

• Well, I bought my THR for about £220 when they first came out.

The full retail on the hanwell is about £5-600, but I got mine in an online blowout for £250.

The Hanwell only has one input and is 'just' an amplified speaker. The THR does a huge amount more and is great in its own right...but the Hanwell is hugely louder without a doubt.

• I made a video of the hanwell vs a real amp

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Thanks for this, great work! :thumbup:

• Thanks, very useful video for me. I'd have liked to have seen you just focus on the Marshall and run through some other profiles. Say a plexi, a twin, a Vox etc. Can't believe these little Marshalls and their ilk aren't more popular with Kemper owners. It makes for a great little portable practice rig imo.

• After the video by Allenhuish I was curious about the Hanwell as I was looking for a bedroom solution for my Kemper. I didn't want to buy a Yamaha monitor box or anything likewise big and loud and when I had the chance for a used & bargain Hanwell I bought one. I was absolutely surprised and had to tweak my profiles and setup my Hanwell only a little (Hanwell bass 4, treble 5-6) and got clear and brilliant sounds instantly. I don't have too many comparisons of other bedroom setups but I don't see the need to change anything or buy something else right now. And if you buy some higher rubber feet for your Kemper in a DIY store, you can easily stack both. For me, it's a very well working bedroom solution and I can just recommend the setup. Thumbs up :)

• After the video by Allenhuish I was curious about the Hanwell as I was looking for a bedroom solution for my Kemper. I didn't want to buy a Yamaha monitor box or anything likewise big and loud and when I had the chance for a used & bargain Hanwell I bought one. I was absolutely surprised and had to tweak my profiles and setup my Hanwell only a little (Hanwell bass 4, treble 5-6) and got clear and brilliant sounds instantly. I don't have too many comparisons of other bedroom setups but I don't see the need to change anything or buy something else right now. And if you buy some higher rubber feet for your Kemper in a DIY store, you can easily stack both. For me, it's a very well working bedroom solution and I can just recommend the setup. Thumbs up :)

Cool!
    How much did you get the Hanwell for?

• Hi Allenhuish! I am currently having the similar to your starting rig (Kemper + Yamaha THR10). I mostly play and record in headphones, but still like to have some decent speaker for home use only. I do not need any additional volume though.

How would you compare sound quality between Hanwell and THR10 (especially on the low levels). Would you recoment upgrading from THR to Hanwell to improve the quality?

• Hope the OP doesn't mind me chiming in but I got the smaller Stanmore and it's a huge improvement over my THR. I always felt the bottom end was lacking with the THR though it's hardly fair comparing a Kemper + Stanmore/Hanwell to the little THR10. Although smaller than the Hanwell, the Stanmore has a pretty huge, tight bottom end for such a small unit. It also goes ridiculously loud without breaking up though I don't tend to use it at huge volumes. I have other powered speakers for that. I'm still breaking it in but so far I really love it and it's also doubling as a powered speaker for my laptop, phone etc. I'm having to tweak most of my favourite profiles a little to sound their best with it but that's to be expected. Definite thumbs up from me.

• Thanks a lot for your info, Davy!

I ended up ordering Audio Pro Allroom Air One with a crazy discount. Still waiting for it to come, but I will surely share the results. It seems to be very similar to those little Marshalls but I like the wireless compatibility, as a bonus.

• That's a very nice looking bit of kit, I definitely overlooked that one. I just noticed it on Google at half price as well which is a brilliant deal. I'm still surprised there aren't more threads on all of the small powered speakers like these. Definitely post up your thoughts on the Air One.