Kemper sounds tinny and thin over HK Elements BigBase

• Hello everybody,

because the web is full of praise about the Kemper I want to make my own "test".
    I don´t write much words, because I´m not very good in English...

The Kemper sounds tinny and thin over HK Elements BigBase. I plug into over the master out into a yamaha 01v 96i Mixingconsole.
    No EQ and no Comp is activated in the 01V. I´m sitting 3 meters in front of the HK Elements an the Sound is very indirect.
    I´t a strange Feeling when you playing in this way. Everyone says, that the Kemper sounds very good over the PA, but not above the HK Elements.
    The Sound is very artificial and has no power?

I´ve tried some of the Profiles from Thomas Dill, and some Proviles which I have edited.
    In his Video the Sounds are very good, but what big differences to my PA...

Additional I send the Monitor Output (Cab are turned off) to a Nepomuk Ampifier to hear the differences.
    The Sound that I hear from the Nepomuk ist good, but not so over the HK Elements.

I´´ve send the Kemper back and order an Power-Kemper and pluged it in a 2x12 Box.
    Maybe I have to put i mic in front of the Nepomuk Cabinet and go not directly in the PA?

But is this not one of the Advantage of the Kemper?

What have I done wrong - I would be very thankful for every help.

Sorry for my English - Thank you!

James

• Thank you!
    I dont´know what you exactly mean?
    Do you mean that I have turned the Input gain (for the chanel) to high?

• I´ve put the main Outs (Kemper) in the MIc-INputs from the Yamaha, but for the line Level there are Special Inputs in the yamaha (13/14 and 15/16).
    But therefore I have to use the mono jack on Kemper and on the Yamaha.
    Maybe this could be the error?

May I ask something else?
    What do you use at your live gigs? (Power Kemper and 4x12 cabinet and do you go directly in the PA, or do you use Mics and go then in the PA)

• I´ve put the main Outs (Kemper) in the MIc-INputs from the Yamaha, but for the line Level there are Special Inputs in the yamaha (13/14 and 15/16).

Sure you overload your mixer.

May I ask something else?
    What do you use at your live gigs? (Power Kemper and 4x12 cabinet and do you go directly in the PA, or do you use Mics and go then in the PA)

i have an unpowered Kemper and use a Yamaha DXR10 FRFR cab or an Atomic CLR

You can do it this way, but be sure to activate the PAD button to reduce the signal about 20dB and lower the input gain for the channel. On the other hand you can reduce the Kemper Output for approx. 20-25dB. I think it's in the output menue.

• Hey
    have you tried plugging the Kemper straight into the hk base? (To see if the problem comes from the Yamaha) For example monitor out (with cab sim on) to the hk with a 1/4 inch jack.
    I sometimes use a hk elements pa and it sounds massive with the Kemper

• Could also be "phase cancellation" the way you describe it. Did you summon two signals from the Kemper into monitoring in you desk? Then you must be sure all cabeling is 100% , if not then you can hear exactly a thin kind of strange phasey sound.
    Depending on the profile some can sound a bit thin or harsh especially when playing loud, but when you scroll through the Factory presets definately not all are thin sounding. .. So i guess it must be something from cabeling, input setting on your desk as Ingolf said, or routing in your desk.

• Thank´s a lot for your answers. I´ve sended the passive Kemper back and have ordered an active Kemper and an active Yamaha DXR10 (as Ingolf does it) to try all possibilities:
    - passive Kemper: Monitoring: DXR10 -> Yamaha 01v -> HK Elements BigBase
    - passive Kemper: Monitoring: Nepomuk Combo (Speaker Sim=Off) -> Kemper-MainOut:Yamaha 01v -> HK Elements BigBase
    - Power Kemper Monitoring: 2x12 Cabinet (Speaker Sim=Off) -> Kemper-MainOut:Yamaha 01v -> HK Elements BigBase
    - Power Kemper directly in the BigBase to except Problems with the Yamaha Mixer

barefly: I use two channels in the yamaha: Kemper-MainOutLeft=Yamaha-Channel1 (Pan=left); Kemper-MainOutRight=>Yamaha-Channel2(Pan=right)
    Maybe that´s basically a mistake and a have "phase cancellation" ?
    The PAD button to reduce the signal about 20dB is active.

• Hi James, when you set you mixer set hard legt and right , that is oke. Do you hear the thin sound if only 1 monitor is playing? If nog than phase cancelation can be your problem. Look whether you have dialed in 'phase Invert' or something like that on your desk. You also should check your cabling on broken wiring or shortcuts or wrong connection.
    Does the Kemper sound good on the dxr10?