Single rj45 cable power and midi for fcb1010 mod

• i think it would be great to see someone perhaps smarter than me who could put together a diy mod using the existing network connection on the kemper and a neutrik rj 45 tied into the fcb that will provide power, midi in and out... I don't see any reason this is not possible now that the kemper remote is being released and only uses the network connector. Comments ? Thoughts? Perhaps someone with more knowledge in electronics than I can chime in on schematics.. Is there any standard as to which connectors are midi in out power ground for instance in rj 45 ? Power provided via existing kemper jack vs fcb requirements ?

• I was half wondering if one couldn't use an FCB and the Remote together, but if the Remote sends MIDI to the KPA MIDI OUT then it might mess with the FCB, no? I see compatibility issues.

As in: WHO controls the Kemper. If the Remote sets a profile using TCP/IP, will the FCB be able to detect the change? (MIDI sent out?) If it does, can it's integration mess up the Remote?

This is a crazy and perhaps rare likelihood but one thing I've learned in my time is that guys will put it in any averrable slots if the've got em!

• I think, they use ethernet (TCP/IP) for data + PoE for power.

If this is the case, then TCP segments are encapsulated in IP packets. So if we can strip off the IP headers, we're left with a TCP segment. At octet 16, we're given the data offset and depending on what it is we can strip off the TCP headers. If we do this, then what data are we left with? Is it MIDI? A proprietary protocol?

Also, the power is provided through pins 4 and 5. Whether or not these are dedicated conductors or not I'm unsure of. If they are dedicated, then it's likely that pins 1 and 2 are TX and pins 3 and 6 are RX. Pins 7 and 8 could also be used for bidirectional data.

• This is all very interesting. Kemper certainly does not want to tell us how this protocol works exactly but could be very useful if deciphered. It seems pins 4-5 are providing approximately 4.8 volts each. I'm wondering about using these as power for the FCB. Will they use a differential ? How can I make sure they are combined to form 9.6v ? How can I confirm or test without risk of damage ?

• Super old thread I know...

If both PINS 4/5 are providing 4.8V, you should be able to create a simple breakout cable to pull pins 4 and 5 from the ethercon and combine it with the necessary pins from MIDI in/out and send a single ethernet cable down to your foot controller.

At the foot controller, you can use a non-inverting summer circuit to sum the two power sources into a 9.6V signal, which is perfect for powering something like an Arduino Mega.

Or you could just use one pin and power a Teensy quite easily.

• Also, if the 4.8 volts off either of the pins is regulated well (no big swings), you might be able to bypass the regulator on the Arduino and feed it 4.8V directly to the 5V line.

• i have long since created my own break outbox at the back of the kemper which has power, midi Inand out,and two trs connectors to fcbwhich operate for add on momentary switches. The plugs also have power for external pedals

• What I would love to do is is use a teensy board to use the midi latching freeze/infinite function on my big sky via momentary switch. I could then add this to my homemade strymon multiswitch that allows preset up and down plus bypass. Midi out and trs out can go through fcb to my multcable to kemper. I can easily get power from fcb also. ONE PROBLEM. I can't program the teensy and really have no idea what I'm doing with this programming. Could you help ? As in write the code for me to program the board to send the midi command I need via footswitch ? Probably asking a lot..

• The power you're sending from the Kemper breakout box down to the FCB... where are you getting that power?

I have a custom made breakout box fitted in the back of the kemper that first pulls ac from mains then it's converted to strong 9 volt dc via a godlike power all inside the box. It's been quiet enough to power the board and a strymon thus far. I've built power dc output on the fcb as well

• Oh, okay. Thanks!

I was wondering if you were able to pull power off the ethernet pins. I'm planning on trying that since i only need to power my foot pedal/controller and 4.8V off the Kemper should be plenty. If I don't use a MEGA (which should run fine at 4.8V), I'll can get a solid 3.3V regulated off either pin and just use a teensy.

• ONE PROBLEM. I can't program the teensy and really have no idea what I'm doing with this programming. Could you help ? As in write the code for me to program the board to send the midi command I need via footswitch ? Probably asking a lot..

Once I get past the initial work of putting together my footswitch and have the code solid I can be more helpful. ATM I can't be of much help but what you want to do doesn't sound hard.