Connecting Kemper to audio-interface via pedal patch-cables = wrong???

• Hi All,

I'm currently looking at my Kemper setup as finding a LOT of profiles have too much high-end that does not translate well when playing on headphones. Using a wah lp before the amp and wah hp after the amp go a long way - but I'm starting to examine three things -

1) Kemper hook-up to audio interface (Edirol UA-25.)

Currently, this is just hooked up out of the master out 1/4" jacks into my UA-25. Each channel is hooked up using home-made patch-cables, previously used for connecting me Eleven Rack to Torpedo IR loader. Would a jack > XLR make any difference to quality? I use my audio interface 99% of the time when jamming with tracks when playing with the Kemper.

2) The guitar itself

LTD EC-1000 with SD Black Winters. Using a BKP paper and oil jensen capacitor. If I'm experiencing a lot of unwanted highs with the Kemper, could swapping the tone cap help tame them?

3) I just can't stand SM57 mics...

Sure, they might sound great in the mix, but for solo guitar play I'm simply not a fan. Thinking back to my Eleven Rack days, I never liked the representation of the 57 then - I always went to a Ribbon 121 off axis, or Condenser 67 / 87 - and the Dyn 421.

So, as a non-amp owner - I'll start swapping cab patches out for those type of mics. I might even try using the updated cab converter to run with the new f/ware 3.0 when it hits.

If anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know. And share your thoughts on the above - I'm not giving up on the Kemper, just aware it's presenting a LOT more high energy/frequencies than my old Eleven Rack. It's these I want to tame, to just get back to enjoying guitar. Another good move would be to lock the lp/hp setting and scroll through presets to audition them, as the grain / distortion of the 57 up close and personal just grates me.

Cheers,

-Tonerider

• You could always just set the Output EQ to tame the highs... I'd personally audition a couple of different leads before anything else, however, just to take them out of the equation.

Cheers,
    Sam

• Thanks Sam,
    After going through a whole bunch of cabs via my KRK's - It's the V30 speaker I don't like....going from one of these patches to D.Baldringers Mars 4*12 Green Pack literally tames ALL the low pass shaping I'm doing on the eq - yes, the presence and treble being dropped on the output section help - but for me, a Greenback 25w is much smoother and pleasant to the ears...time to sort my cab collection!!!