So many new options! Camplifier or Ambrosi plus what cab?

• I have a toaster and Matrix q12a. I play my kemper most through my near field monitors, but would like a rig with more of an amp feel.

I've been following all of the kemper/matrix/atomic/mission-engineering/blue-amps/kpa/Ambrosi releases and reviews for 18 months. With the kemper 3.0 firmware release I'm back to square one!

Anyway, between the Camplifiers and Ambrosi amps, what do I need to know? I want a gritty amp sound with a low and and need a great cab recommendation too.

sorry if this seems lazy. I'm just confused all over again!

• Welcome! There are many satisfied users of the Camplifier line already.
    The Ambrosi amps are being built and shipped as we speak but I've seen no reviews yet apart from Gianfranco's review (he Initiated and beta tested the project).
    I have one on order though. ;)
    When you say you want a gritty amp sound: Remember this will have to be supplied by the profile you use in your profiler.
    You want the poweramp to be as neutral sounding as possible, or IOW: No grit from the poweramp.

• I guess I just want a more natural amp sound from the guitar cab than I get from the main outs to my studio monitors. With the Ambrosi (or Camplifier) can I still run stereo run the board and send the amp signal to the guitar cab?

Can the Camplifier do this with stereo as well?

• Thanks Ingolf. I guess I just need to pick a cab. I don't need too much power. Small club and home studio use for the most part.

Well, then I can recommend this one: http://www.thomann.de/de/palmer_pcab112gbk.htm
    You can get it with a Celestion V30 as well, but IMO you can't go wrong with a Greenback.

• Hi GregGibbs,

they :
    http://www.thomann.de/gb/helpdesk_shipping.html?country=ury
    will ship the Palmer to you for 60,- Euro.

Shipping for our kit to the US will be about 50,- Euro or so.

As soon as the kit will be available, we will offer a completely assembled cabinet with the kit already installed into it.
    It might be worth to do the math on which option (palmer + shipping + kit + shipping or complete cabinet + shipping ) is the best option for you.

" Best of both worlds with an FRFR and a guitar cab."

I would like to point out that this is not exactly the case.
    A guitar cab has a guitar speaker in it, like the Greenback Ingolf mentioned.
    Those guitar speakers leave a large footprint on the overall sound result. You will never be able to eliminate that footprint from your sound.
    Say you use that greenback.
    If you use a Deluxe Reverb profile, you will hear a DR played through a Greenback. If you switch to a MESA profile....MESA through a Greenback.

The Camper Plus does not do that. Even if you switch to GFR (guitar flat response), it will leave a minimal footprint on the overall sound. It will reproduce the speaker profile out of the KPA as accurate as possible.
    Therefore the speaker simulation/profile should be ON in the KPA.

If you would connect the Camper Plus cabinet to a tube amp, it would not sound very good, because the "guitar speaker footprint" is missing and the tube amp sound would be to harsh.

I tried my best to explain all of that in the first video in the Camper Plus thread, but I imagine that there is some language barrier here that I am not quite able to overcome....
    Tilman

• Interesting. In which situation would you best use the GFR jack, then?

I'm just trying to be as truthful to my experience and personal opinion that I'm clearly presenting only as a personal opinion no more no less in an honest and truthful discussion about equipment.

• When you want the Camper plus to be as neutral as possible for accurate recreation of different profiles.

Oh ok, that makes sense. I must have mixed up the terminology here. For some reason I thought it was GFR+FRFR when in fact it's guitar+FRFR?

I'm just trying to be as truthful to my experience and personal opinion that I'm clearly presenting only as a personal opinion no more no less in an honest and truthful discussion about equipment.

• ??? The Camper Plus is GFR+FRFR.

It is NOT a traditional guitar cabinet with added FRFR . Not. It is not that.

It is GFR+ FRFR.

The 12" speakers frequency response is flat.

Too flat for a distorting tube amp.

Why? Because there a too many high frequencies, that a guitar speaker just does not have.

Why do we want to have a flat response here ?

Because we want to be able to hear a Greenback profile AND an Jensen profile with this speaker.

Tilman

• Well that's exactly how I figured it works. So my original question still stands. In which situation would you better use the GFR jack over the FRFR jack?

• Well that's exactly how I figured it works. So my original question still stands. In which situation would you better use the GFR jack over the FRFR jack?

As I understand it, the FRFR Jack activates the tweeter and you get more high frequency content (useful for example when you use something like shimmer or a pitch shifter etc.).
    I find this to be a very cool concept!

• I know what you're saying but isn't this something you'd like available all the time when connected to the Kemper?

• Gotcha Gotcha Gotcha.

So now I should just pick an amp. KPA or Ambrosi, and a cab. The Palmers look great with the greenbacks. There are tons of options I could go with there. Anyone have experience with the Matrix NL12 and NL212? We can get them domestically now. I have researched this board and Fractal for reviews. Just wondering how it will work with Kempers 3.0 version. Like I said, I want the best of both worlds, the FRFR and straight up guitar cab capability.

• I know what you're saying but isn't this something you'd like available all the time when connected to the Kemper?

One would think so, yes, but this is a typical theory and practice example.
    The reality is, that some players even modify their FRFR cabinet so that the tweeter can be switched off.
    Some feel that a tweeter (no matter if the tweeter sits inside the 12" cone ,as it does in a coax speaker, or close to the 12") is in the way when it comes to crunchy sounds, such as the typical AC30 grind.
    For some players there are just too many high frequencies in the mix with the tweeter.
    Some are really happy when they switch from a FRFR to a GFR (like our standard Camper 112 or 212). They feel that only then the sound has the real "amp feel".

Why is that ?

I believe the reason is that NO tube amplifier (we still want to reproduce that sound, right ?) ever used a tweeter in the cabinet section.
    The tweeter sound does not sound "natural" or "real" to those players.

Another reason might be the profile itself and the way it has been taken from the original amp / speaker.
    If you point the profiling microphone "too" close to the center of the speaker you wish to profile, the overall sound gets to harsh (too much treble).
    Away from the center - it gets muddy.
    Sound engineers spend years just with the positioning and the right microphone choice when they want to make a recording of a guitar cabinet.

If your profile is a little on the trebly side, the tweeter in your FRFR cabinet might be very dispensable.

For modern sounds like Marillion, Mike Oldfield, special effects (as Ingolf mentioned) , acoustic guitar and other instruments, FRFR, hence the tweeter, is useful or even necessary.

Some players say they NEED the extra treble a tweeter provides.
    They find GFR dull and not "sparkly" enough.

It all comes down to a matter of taste, as always.

However, from experience Marco and I found it very helpful to have the choice between GFR and FRFR.

That is why we choose that concept for the Camper Plus.

Tilman

• Excellent! Thanks for the play-by-play, T.!
    Makes perfect sense and I'm glad to have the options available, whatever my preference ijn the matter ends up being.

Now, if it the C+ kit would only appear in the webstore earliet than expected.... :D

• Well Tilman, if a cab is really neutral it really outputs what the Profiler outputs: you can even add a supertweeter, but if it's flat say 70-17,000 Hz you won't find a single dB more than those outputted by the Profiler.

I also believe that most users expect a rig to sound the way they would hear the amp sounding, which is definitely not the case (unless you take a profile following the golder rules Jay Mitchell has given for getting a profile that sounds like the notorious "amp in the room").

IMO, the point is that

• most "FRFR" are not actually "FRFR";
    • the close mic'ing of a distorted amp can be extremely harsh. If one put their ear where the mic is, and had its amplitude response, that's what they actually hear.

Having said this, if the profile is faithful to the rig and the cab is really flat, you hear what the mic heard, which is the purpose of the Profiler driving a flat cab.
    Killing the tweeter equals to applying a lowpass to the whole signal, furthermore drastically changing the cab's directivity.
    Not that the sonic result can't sound pleasant, of course :)

• Thanks Ingolf, Tilman and viabcroce.

I split the difference with Tilman and viabcroce. I ordered an Ambrosi Amp & a the Palmer for the Camper +. I also ordered a Port Cit 1x12 guitar cab to run for the old school amp sound. Thanks for your input and thanks for making desirable products.