U.S. Pricing, EU Pricing and the Exchange Rate

• Hi All,
    I'm very interested in this product, but we're in an interesting spot with currencies right now. Given the current exchange rate, the KPA actually is less expensive to purchase in euro (by about $300) if dollars are converted.
    I hope that the U.S. dealers will start discounting, because they're obviously catching a massive break on the wholesale end with this exchange rate. The Euro won't be moving up anytime soon either in $US.

I look forward to getting a unit, but the current U.S. pricing makes no sense.

Cheers,

JD

• The current pricing of US stores is based on what they paid a couple of months back, when they have the unit in stock.
    The developments will kick in for sure - but it usually takes a few months until you see retail prices following currency rate changes - both ways.

90% of the game is half-mental.

• I just looked up the US price for the Kemper and found this: http://www.makenmusic.com/guitar-amps/kemper-amps.html
    $1,975 are about 1750€.
    In Europe the Kemper Amp costs 1590€, so the difference is about 160€ / $180.
    I have no idea, how much customs or taxes you have to pay, when importing musical instruments from Germany, but the difference isn't as big as you describe.

Edit: Okay, I guess I found a price, which is cheaper than the usual price, with which you calculated.. In the Kemper Store, it costs $2,143 .So perhaps it will become available for $1,975 everywhere in the US.

• Yes, I was working off of the $2143 price and the 1590E, which as of today is $1781.83. I agree that it will take the retailers a bit to catch up because of current stock.
    My step brother lives in Paris - perhaps he can pick one up with US voltage??

• Hi All,
    I'm very interested in this product, but we're in an interesting spot with currencies right now. Given the current exchange rate, the KPA actually is less expensive to purchase in euro (by about $300) if dollars are converted.
    I look forward to getting a unit, but the current U.S. pricing makes no sense.

Be careful, duties could kill you!
    (They often determine them on the paid price+ delivery total).

• That's, high, but if it's brought back during travel (My folks are visiting him next week, so I'm going to ask NICELY for them to schlep this thing back)

From EU to US, it looks like the duty would be $54. FIrst $800 in value is duty-free, next $1000 value is taxed at 3%, and then any value above $1800 is taxed between 3%-10%, depending on what type of item on the Harmonized Tarriff Schedule. For musical instruments, it is 6%. If the Tarriff is based on an MSRP of $2200 (rounding up), that's how I got $54. My stepbrother tells me that the VAT is already included in the EU price.
    https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/454/kw/duty rate travellers

• That's, high, but if it's brought back during travel (My folks are visiting him next week, so I'm going to ask NICELY for them to schlep this thing back)

From EU to US, it looks like the duty would be $54. FIrst $800 in value is duty-free, next $1000 value is taxed at 3%, and then any value above $1800 is taxed between 3%-10%, depending on what type of item on the Harmonized Tarriff Schedule. For musical instruments, it is 6%. If the Tarriff is based on an MSRP of $2200 (rounding up), that's how I got $54. My stepbrother tells me that the VAT is already included in the EU price.
    https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/454/kw/duty rate travellers

When I looked it up (having just ordered something from Germany) the said the duty free was $200 for SHIPPED items. But when I receive it I'll let y'all know if I get taxed. The item cost $378 so it's either taxed 3% what's over $200 or else its freeeeee! ;)

• Really, don't consider listing prices (-_-) but aside from that I wouldn't concern myself a great deal on exchange rates. But, considering you can just have someone purchaseand treat it as carry-on? You intend to get a case too or have them pack around a product box : /
    It's rare that I ever pay full 'street price' for anything. 'If that's the quote youre 'getting then just inform the vendor you're moving on!

My SM7B mic I got for less than 275 new, my guitars I usually talk down the price by at least 25% (and they still profit), the Kemper that's incoming came at a great price too and it matched close to what I was hearing from other merchants as well. The 2100 USD price is what I've seen posted for a while now for a couple of years. I was getting quotes closer to what the Kemper debuted at. I'd take every opportunity to either correspond with someone 1-on-1 either in person or on the phone and work their price down. 1781.83 is over what I was being offered for an unpowered unit, here stateside.