Preparing to profile my 2103 Splawn Quick Rod "Low B+" - Advice requested ..

• and let me know if this seems right.

Took some advice from FastRedPonyCar on how to get 2 mic's set up for 2 independent sets of profiles. It'll be one set with my SM57 and a set with the same settings but using a Sennheiser e609. 1 set with the Splawn 2x12 loaded w/Celestion Creamback 65's and a set with my Jet City USA cab loaded with a V30.

Here are the profiles I plan to make:

Clean Channel:
    • Straight clean
    • Clean w/drive 9:00, 10:30, Noon, 2:00, full
    • Same as above boosted w/Maxon 808X and Black Arts Coven

Gear 1/2/3:
    • All would be set to the same gain options as above but using both OD1 and OD2
    • Would also use the Maxon OD808X on each setting

I would do the first profile, say Gear 1, OD 1, SM57, gain at 9:00, then do the same but unplug the 57 and plug in the e609. Then wash/rinse/repeat.

Does that seem the be the best way to make a lot of profiles at once while using 2 different mics?

That would be 36 profiles on the clean channel alone! Yikes.

This may be quite the undertaking.

Here are sue clips of me just quick tracking my Quick Rod. I am pretty happy with them so I am guessing the profiles SHOULD sound close when I am done with them. ***NOTE: THESE ARE NOT PROFILES. Just sounds I have gotten in my little home studio with my amp.

http://www.tonefinder.com/file…797655-QuickHeavyTest.mp3
    http://www.tonefinder.com/file…Splawn_Mooer_RockLead.mp3

Edited 2 times, last by JerEvil ().

• I've got a few for you.

First, try profiling one mic at a time. A trained ear can approximate how it will sound when combined (or simply reamp with both profiles and test it out for sure).If you feel you could use a hand with that, i'll gladly help.

As for multi-mic setups, do you have a sound-card with two inputs?
    If so, just use something like Waves InPhase, Meldaproduction MAutoAlign or Soundradix Auto-Align. I might be able to help with these as well.
    If you only have a mixer and no DAW, you should use the white noise trick, which i'm guessing is what FastRedPonyCar explained?

Thoroughly profiling an amp as diverse as the Quickrod is an undertaking, no doubt. You should narrow down some stuff as i believe you'll find that some settings might sound overly similar when recorded - but you can only find that out the hard way :)
    I do believe it's worth it, though. For many, many reasons.

None of which have anything to do with the fact i *really* like Splawns and don't yet have a good Quickrod profile...

Anyway, if you need any help, give me a holler :thumbup:

"But dignity is difficult to maintain
    stamina requires constant upkeep
    repetition is boring
    and you pay for grace."

• Will do. I have a Focusrite Saffire Pro 24.

My preference is to NOT mix the 2 miss but offer profiles with the same amp settings and the option of the 609 OR 57. I know I mentioned dual miss but I doubt I will do that. Good advice on the "too many options". I have seen some guys do EVERY notch on the gain knob of their amps. I figured at least low, mid, high, extreme gain settings (even though I NEVER have it over 1:00).

I'll definitely need some help on the reaping option. Thanks so much for the input.

• I have a Splawn Competition (50watt) without the clean channel... so a never heard a clean Splawn...

It is really difficult to process 2 mics because you risk some phase issue. I suggest to you instead to use one mic at time with different mic position for each amp settings.

Can be interesting to take a full set of profiles from a DI box (with the new experimental firmware o waiting the official 3.0). The reason is that there are a lot of well made speaker/mics profiles that you can use as a reference or to make experiment without purchase mics or cabs...

Good luck!

• Thanks.

I am going to edit the OP as I may not have stated clearly, I am looking to have 2 sets of profiles. One set with the 57 and the other set with the 609. Both independent sets of profiles. I mentioned the dual mic option as I have seen a few folks create profiles with a 57/other combo. That would be last on my list of "to do's".

Hopefully this clears up what the scope of my first profiling project is.