options for amplifying unpowered toaster

• Hey guys,

I'm trying to determine which route to choose regarding the intended future live use of my unpowered KPA.
    with the advent of firmware 3.0, it seems there would be mainly 2 feasible options (criteria to be matched: budget
    well under 1000,- € if possible - hence no clr - and high portability. Mainly to be used on small to medium sized stages,
    mostly for jazz/pop-music, no metal etc.

options:

No. 1: yamaha dxr12 (or 10, not sure which one would be best suited for my needs), or
    No.2: ambrosi poweramp plus 1x12 box.

questions:

a) do you think one option has clear and and undeniable advantages over the other? If so, which are these, and why do you think so?
    b) is there a 1x12 box (preferable tweed) that you guys would recommend for use in scenario 2?

thx for chiming in and helping me with the decision :)

• Option 1, the FRFR option, is way more faithfult to the true sound of profiles as they were intended to be because the cab is not colouring it.
    Option 2 will always colour your sound the way the used cab sounds.

To get the most out of the profiler I'd always recommend option 1.
    Only for people that cannot to the paradigm shift to FRFR I'd recommend option 2.

• a) do you think one option has clear and and undeniable advantages over the other? If so, which are these, and why do you think so?

Advantages of Option 1:
    a) You can use different cab sounds and avoid double-coloring.
    b) If you use acoustic or synth sounds, you can hear those more clearly with a FRFR monitor.
    c) If you sing, you can control your own monitor mix. No more asking the sound guy for "more me."

• As I said in another thread, a powered Profile does not imply the use of a guitar cab. You can use linear cabs (the so-called "FRFR"), "FR" cabs, guitar cabs, even in combination like some seem to like.
    I just googled for "passive PA cab", it seems there are 420,000 entries 8o

:)

• thx for chiming in, guys. i may come across as old fashioned or something, but MAN, do those dxr10 (and/or 12)
    look nasty. they may be the best option sound-wise, and that, of course, is top priority. but i dont know, somehow
    i would really like the look of a good old, trusty cabinet at the back of the stage.

do you think it would be possible to have them covered in tweed or something like that? or at least black tolex?
    look, i KNOW this must sound crazy to you, it does to me, too :D but that's just how i am, can't help it. i like to look at
    stuff that's easy on the eyes and makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. those DXR's - well, they don't.

maybe i should consider going for the atomic clr, after all. at least they look a BIT like your classic combo-amp.
    having said all that - of course, in the end, sound and money over looks, all day every day. ingolf, you recommend
    the DXR 10 over the 12, right? for less boxiness?

• having said all that - of course, in the end, sound and money over looks, all day every day. ingolf, you recommend
    the DXR 10 over the 12, right? for less boxiness?

It wasn't me who did the comparison, IIRC it was @heldal (and @lightbox as well).
    Their consensus was that the 10" was better and that the 12 " tended to be a bit boomy.
    If you're more into conservative looks check out the new project by KPA-solutions.
    They're modifying a conventional Palmer 12" box into a dedicated FRFR solution.

• It wasn't me who die the comparison, IIRC it was heldal (and lightbox as well).

In most cases I believe there is little difference between the DXR10 and the DXR12. A notable exception are those who need to play very loud with extreme drop-tunings or 7/8 string guitars who may prefer a 12" or maybe even 15". Speakers with a bigger driver potentially sound a bit more "boomy" in certain situations depending on the room/location. Don't buy bigger speakers than required to reproduce the frequencies in your guitar-sound.

• You could always have them facing you like monitors so people will think your playing with no cab. And wont see the uglyness that you mentioned ;)

• thx for chiming in, guys. i may come across as old fashioned or something, but MAN, do those dxr10 (and/or 12) look nasty. they may be the best option sound-wise, and that, of course, is top priority. but i dont know, somehow
    i would really like the look of a good old, trusty cabinet at the back of the stage.

Why don't you consider an FR cab then? They look like a guitar cab :D

• thx guys, i settled for the atomic clr cab (active) in the end. i figured i didn't go for second best when buying the kemper in the first place,
    so why should i do when picking the appropriate amplification for the puppy :) can't wait to have the thing delivered and see (or rather, hear)
    for myself wether all the rave and hype is justified. in any case, thx for helping me make up my mind. i think i made the right decision,
    even if it's a couple bucks more than i originally wanted to shell out. at the end of the day, all that matters is to get the best sound possible,
    regardless of looks or pricetag. now wish me luck in explaining that to the missus... :D

• Option 1, the FRFR option, is way more faithfult to the true sound of profiles as they were intended to be because the cab is not colouring it.
    Option 2 will always colour your sound the way the used cab sounds.

To get the most out of the profiler I'd always recommend option 1.
    Only for people that cannot to the paradigm shift to FRFR I'd recommend option 2.

Depends on what you are trying to do. If you are trying to radically change from a fender vibrolux reverb to a marshall stack option 1 might be preferable but if you are trying to get an in-your-face-in-the-room sound going through a power amp and an open back cab will always sound better IMO. There's something about the feel of the guitar coming through a teeny little midrange speaker or horn that just doesn't feel right to me.

But the disadvantage of the guitar cab is that you will need to disable your cab on the profiler and then your actual guitar cab will color all your sounds so all your profiles will have a similarity to them that may or may not be what you intend.

• Yep, that would certainly be the best thing you would do. Of course, this is an issue we've been facing for 70 years, and the way most guitarists are still accustomed to...

:)

• I forgot to mention that I also prefer how FRFR monitors (esp. my CLR) spread the highs around. With guitar cabs I had a hard time balancing my on-axis and off-axis sounds. The Mitchell Donut probably would've helped.

Me too. I don't do much variation regarding profiles during one show and surely would get by with a 2x12" with Alnico Blue's or Greenback's.
    But the dispersion of the CLR or the DXR is so much better and gives me much better consistency on ANY stage.