Can someone with a video camera try this?

• Can anyone do me a favor? If you saw my previous post about the issues I was having with my powered toaster and profiling, I made a video to show the noise that the KPA was adding when introduced to the chain.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Kemper support has been very helpful but they couldn't replicate the issue from my backup that I sent them. Everything works fine except for the following:

I plug my guitar directly into my Marshall DSL100 head and I get my normal amount of hiss/amp noise. The green channel with crunch engaged and gain at 10.

When I plug my guitar into the kemper's input and run a cable from the direct out of the kemper to the Marshall's input (just like you would when profiling), it adds what seems to be double the amount of hiss/noise. The kemper is even on a clean profile with all stomps and effects off so I'm sure that's not what is adding the noise.

Also, when trying this with a JCM800 and a small Peavey combo, not only does it add all that noise, but it altered the tone in a bad way. It took the amp's body away, became brittle and thinner. I tried these amps in a pro studio and we spent 5 hours trying to figure out the problem. We tried numerous cables, power supplies, moving everything around, etc...you name it.

What I'm asking is if someone can make a short video like I did here and do what I did with a high gain amp. Plug directly into it, then add the kemper using only the direct output on the back to the amp's input and try to capture with your camera's mic if there is any noticeable noise being added. Would appreciate it! I have a new unit coming in a day or 2 but I'd like to try to figure out what is causing this. I did all kinds of firmware rollbacks, flash reinitializing, system resets, etc...none of that had any effect on it.

• Hi Richard............just a dumb one: is this the first time you're having the issue? aka it is something new? how did you do before?

and why are you hooking like this? to profile the amp?

michael

"...why being satisfied with an amp, as great as it can be, while you can have them all?" michael mellner

"Rock in Ecclesia" - new album on iTunes or Google music

• Hi Richard............just a dumb one: is this the first time you're having the issue? aka it is something new? how did you do before?

and why are you hooking like this? to profile the amp?

michael

This is my 2nd toaster. I owned another a year or 2 ago and did a few profiles that went smoothly (Rich's DSL 100 on the rig exchange).

I just got this powered toaster at the start of the new year. I went into a studio a few weeks ago to profile a fender bassman. We found that the profiles were much thinner and brighter than the actual sound of the amp.

I went back this past weekend to profile a JCM800 2205. We had insane amounts of power interference/radio interference in the studio which has never had these issues before. After fixing that problem, we noticed that the kemper was adding volume to the amp's natural high gain amp hiss, doubling it at the very least. We also noticed that it made the amp sound different than when the kemper was not attached to it. It became brittle, brighter (like ice pick) and lost it's body (fullness). We tried it with different cables and such to no avail. We then tried it with a peavey combo amp. Same issues...it changed things.

The video I posted is from my office studio at home. I just wanted to see if it was a power/interference issue at the studio but as you see and hear in the video, the issue exists here too. I'm thinking that it shouldn't be adding that amount of hiss when connecting the direct out to the amp's input.

• Can you record the direct out of the two KPA and take some measurements in the editing software (maybe over a spectrum) with the same RIg , volume,master volume and , gain levels?
    Maybe this will give you a hint?

If I correctly understand the DI output in case(settind the levels) depends of the rig is actually set before the profiling switch on. Please try to lower Gain knob.

From manual:
    "Next, turn the chicken-head to the PROFILER position. At this point, you will still hear the previously selected
    rig. "

So basically what are you connecting to the amp is another amp no the instrument by it self - so the noise is +KPA rig noise " + "profiled amp noise".

Next thing is that if you are in profiling mode the output functions may not working as in browser mode. Go to the Browser mode and try then adjusting output volume.

• but you have grayed out Direct volume on video (guitar analog)- you have to set it to Stack I think. Check also the input section - clean and distortiond sense- tis is dependent on the previovus rig selection.

I understand what you're saying but we went through all these settings in the studio. I just tried here at home and the hiss was added and the amp's tone got brighter/more treble and not as full.