atomic reactor question

• New kemper owner (loving this thing). I bought a used 18watt atomic reactor and i noticed when plugged in with the kemper cab on im getting a good sound but a little on darker side. Once cab is off its brighter but also it gets closer to the amp in the room sound im getting from my tube amps. Should the cab be off when using that type of cab. Sorry if this is covered already i tried to find something on it but could not. Thanks for any insight.

• Welcome! ;)
    I used to own one of these 8 years ago.
    The speaker in the old Atomic Reactor amps is neither fish nor flesh. It's not a typical guitar speaker and it is not full range either.
    If you like your sound go with it. There's no rule to how cab sim should be set, on or off. Simply use what sounds best to you.

• Welcome! ;)
    I used to own one of these 8 years ago.
    The speaker in the old Atomic Reactor amps is neither fish nor flesh. It's not a typical guitar speaker and it is not full range either.
    If you like your sound go with it. There's no rule to how cab sim should be set, on or off. Simply use what sounds best to you.

Those amps were supposed to be the best in FRFR for modellers when they were still current. In that respect, I think you'll get good results with the cabinet turned on.

• Appreciate all the input. Thinking about adding a camplifi and using a 2x12 cab with a couple of greenbacks in it i have laying around.

• I had one for about a year. I used it with a Line6 POD HD500 and later with my iPad setup. And I did try it with an Eleven Rack as well, but only briefly.

With both of my setups, and the Eleven Rack too, I had the cab sim on at all times. Without them I found the sound to be too harsh to my ears.

In conclusion, I would trust my ears over anything else.

I hope that helps!

• I had one of these but the passive version when I first got the kemper. I found the sound not to my liking at all, really boxy and like there was a blanket over the speaker. I quickly swapped it for a dxr10 and haven't looked back.

One thing is that I am sure you can get a decent tone out of it but... You need to tweak just about any profile quite a bit to do so and to me, that not only defeats the point a bit, but it's not an easy thing to do well as a new owner: so many parameters etc you can be tweaking for days when what you want to do is load up a profile, maybe adjust the front eq settings slightly and the gain, and then be able to play and enjoy the profiler in all its glory!

• I had the 2x12 50 watt version. It is now a custom passive 2x12 guitar cab. Using
    Eminence Governors in it. They sound nice with the individual large 1x12 compartments
    with the ports plugged up.

I used to love it with a Tonelab LE before I hacked the amp out of it.
    The FR version I have now is a nice in the middle between true FRFR and the
    "amp in the room". I still want to pick up a CLR one of these days, though.
    I quit using my Mackie DLM12 since I've had the Atomic Reactor FR 50watt 1x12 with horn.

I am a Profile Whore... Sometimes a Recovering Profile Whore...
    but mostly a Complete and Utter Profile Whore... I want them all... aCk!!! 8|:love: