Boosting the Cab volume makes the profile sound 'better'?????

• Afternoon All,

So today has been spent routing down to my favourite 10-12 profiles that work really well with my guitar and new pickups...

What I have found for each od/distorted one is the following (all volume settings were initially on 0db.)

reduce volume to -4.6db on profile,

In CAB section, pump volume of Cab to 4.2db

I have found that reducing high shift by -0.3 and character to +2.2 works for me also...

But, to my ears this seems to give a more 'juicy' 'organic' profile to have both the cab and volume levels on 0db as seems to be the 'standard' with profiles.

Anyone else tried this and found it brings out some mojo????

-Tonerider

• I would have thought turning up cab volume would change the sound. Wouldn't it bring out the character of the cabinet more? (I've not tried it, and my kpa is at work so I can't test it yet)

• I would have thought turning up cab volume would change the sound. Wouldn't it bring out the character of the cabinet more? (I've not tried it, and my kpa is at work so I can't test it yet)

No, because it's not a "mix" parameter (where you would turn up the cab volume in relation to something else, e.g. a signal that bypasses the cab).

The volume parameter for any given stomp/effect and for the cab section simply determines the total output volume for that section as it feeds into the next step in the chain. Turning up the cab volume means that the X effect slot receives a higher-volume input signal, but that signal itself, the result of everything that has happened previously in the chain, doesn't change.

psychological effect= louder/better
    but its not true, sound is the same

The OP compensates the higher cab volume by turning the rig volume knob down by a roughly equal amount. In itself, these volumes should cancel each other out so it shouldn't make a difference to the resulting sound, but if there are any effects in the post-amp section they could behave differently due to the higher-volume input they receive from the cab (I think).

• I can't try it ATM, but we should investigate further (or have some wisdom from Mothership) whether when some parameters in the Cab section have been tweaked (i.e. brought to a different value than default) then the Volume control in the cab actually empathizes such tweaks Vs. increasing the volume in a different section.
    Can someone try a little recording by compensating the Amp and the Cab volume? We might as well discover a bug X)

Also, the cab block is logically placed after the FX section, despite its physical position, so its Volume control is the last before the "Volume" knob (and The Master Volume of course).