Home Amplification < €450-ish

• My Roland MA-15D manage to make my Kemper sound quite bad compared with the Camper Plus.

I have decided to delay rolling out my KPA for live use as I am struggling to find the time to put together the right mix of rigs with the last year of my Engineering degree in full swing, and so am thinking of cancelling my remote order and picking up some speakers so I can enjoy myself at home.

I know there are lots of threads discussing monitors, but they seem quite unfocused in terms of price range so I thought I'd have a more defined attempt :thumbup:

I don't record or mix anything so they are just for use with Kemper and listening to music (not into EDM or anything bass heavy like that).

My room is 2.6x3.4m

If I make an equilateral triangle with my monitors and my head then the spacing is about 0.8m

What do you guys recommend for my situation?

Some speakers that have caught my eye are:

• Presonus Sceptre S6 - I like the idea of coaxial placement, but don't know if it's just marketing spin in this case
    • Behringer Truth 3031A - Ribbon tweeter seems cool, but the internet makes be scared of the big-B even though my own experiences with their gear have been largely positive

Any thoughts on those? Anything else I should be considering?

• The JBL Lsr305 have been received quite well. It's hard to find any bad reviews about them and they are only 300 a pair. Huge plus is that they have a pretty large sweet spot due to their tweeter design.

The equator d5 are also in your price range, but I went with the JBLs due to the sweet spot issues. I want to be able to move my head around while playing without the sound changing too much.

I don't have a reference but I am very happy with the JBLs so far. Only negative thing is that they have a little bit of background noise (only audible when your room is quiet). From what I've read, this is quite common, so if that is a no-no for you, you probably shouldn't consider them.

Edit: The JBLs are rear ported! So they should be placed 15-20 cm from a wall. This of course is true for all rear ported speakers. Just something to consider if your desk is near a wall.

• I've been using a pair of B3031A for home practise and listening for about 3 years. I wanted something inexpensive that sound similar to the pair of Adam A7X I otherwise use. The 3031s have a similar construction and do the job surprisingly well at a fraction of the cost.

• Hey
    I have a tech 21 PE 60 (bought used for 250 euros). I swapped the speaker for a Beyma 12Ga50 (100 euros)
    To me, it sounds way better and amp-like than my studio monitors (but it's not frfr). Great for home use, practice and live
    ++

• I got me a pair of these... I'm not much of a corksniffer and I have severe tinnitus but they do what I need them to do, decent Kemper/pc/ipod playback.

http://www.thomann.de/be/tannoy_reveal_402.htm

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I'm just trying to be as truthful to my experience and personal opinion that I'm clearly presenting only as a personal opinion no more no less in an honest and truthful discussion about equipment.

• +1 for the Equator in terms of P\Q.

In a room as small as the on you're planning to use, taming the resonance will be the most effective move tho.
    Also, if you plan to place them on a desk, spend some more money and treat yourself with a pair of MoPads... the best investment you might do IMO :)

HTH