3.0.2 Boot Up / Start Up Time ..... 45 Seconds. and only (9) Rigs on my Kemper ..... can this be addressed ?

• In terms of gigs I use a UPS.....here in the UK I only found quite a big box....about 6kg and 30.5 x 17.8 x 8.9 cm...it can run for about an hour! I'm sure there are smaller versions you could find that would help you survive a few seconds of power loss or brown out.....

• In terms of gigs I use a UPS.....here in the UK I only found quite a big box....about 6kg and 30.5 x 17.8 x 8.9 cm...it can run for about an hour! I'm sure there are smaller versions you could find that would help you survive a few seconds of power loss or brown out.....

I take it you are not using the 600 watt Power Head / Power Rack version, and powering either a FRFR monitor or a guitar cab. ;)

I am just kidding. I am sure that you would still have a few minutes, which would get you through any conceivable momentary power loss or brown out. I just was wondering about the "it can run for about and hour", if you had a powered KPA connected to that UPS. Of course, it is all a moot point, since you certainly wouldn't continue playing (assuming your were gigging at a venue), if the power actually went out. Or, I take that back, you could definitely score with the chicks, as you would be the only one who could actually continue playing music...besides, perhaps, the drummer (and he doesn't count). :D

In all seriousness, the UPS is a great idea...because it probably has excellent filters and surge protection features. I wouldn't connect my $2,500 Power Rack to a cheapo surge suppressor or even a rack "power conditioner". I use a Furman AR-15 Series II Voltage Regulator.

Edited 2 times, last by Tritium ().

• I have a 7 year old Core2Duo Laptop running an old 1st generation SSD .... I recently put Windows 8.1 on it and it boots from cold-off to the desktop in under 15 seconds ..... and I'm surfing the 'net in another few seconds ....and that's a 15GB o/s ......

good for you - but I fail to see what this means for the Kemper.

90% of the game is half-mental.

• I'm not opposed to a faster start-up time, but only see advantages in a very limited set of circumstances. If I were asking Kemper to expend their limited resources, I'd certainly pick something else for them to work on. Way, way down on my wish list.

• I take it you are not using the 600 watt Power Head / Power Rack version, and powering either a FRFR monitor or a guitar cab. ;)

I am just kidding. I am sure that you would still have a few minutes, which would get you through any conceivable momentary power loss or brown out. I just was wondering about the "it can run for about and hour", if you had a powered KPA connected to that UPS. Of course, it is all a moot point, since you certainly wouldn't continue playing (assuming your were gigging at a venue), if the power actually went out. Or, I take that back, you could definitely score with the chicks, as you would be the only one who could actually continue playing music...besides, perhaps, the drummer (and he doesn't count). :D

In all seriousness, the UPS is a great idea...because it probably has excellent filters and surge protection features. I wouldn't connect my $2,500 Power Rack to a cheapo surge suppressor or even a rack "power conditioner". I use a Furman AR-15 Series II Voltage Regulator.

He he....joking aside, I do have the powerhead and tested playing with a 2 x 12 cab attached at rehearsal volumes along with the FCB1010 for about 20 mins and then decided to plug it back in.....now I have a DXR10 and so I guess the UPS would last for less time.....but yeah, more than enough to keep up with the band....the idea is to avoid a blip stopping me playing when the best of the band continue (edit - typo, I meant rest of the band but if the hat fits...) ..... And I've seen USA voltage versions of my UPS that are the size of a large effects pedal but not in UK voltage.....

Here is mine: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/pro…=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Cheers,
    Andy

• This thread proves my theory: people will bitch about anything.

yep and in the (theoretical) case everything would be perfect, they would bitch about that, because there was nothing to bitch about anymore.

My start-up time is 45 to 50sec. I keep less than 70 rigs on my KPA, running latest OS including remote; works for me; the Kemper usually beats my cappuccino machine.

90% of the game is half-mental.

• You call out a guy for mentioning his laptop boot up time vs Kemper and then think that your cappuccino machine brewing time vs Kemper is relevant? Or should I just say: good for you - but I fail to see what this means for the Kemper

Less than 5 seconds from cold-off-to-playing-a-rig - and its fully stock/original with everything loaded.

This is true of just about every digital pre-amp in existence. Ignoring all of the deep technical questions (e.g. non-volatile memory type etc.) it really just begs the question: what the hell is the KPA doing on every single boot-up, and is it really necessary every time? Why should it matter, for instance, how many rigs are stored in NVRAM? The KPA shouldn't need to read data concerning anything other than the one loaded at start-up. If there's some kind of preventative housecleaning that's happening every time we start up, perhaps this should be done on a less frequent or incremental basis (or possibly as an option triggered by the user as needed.)

• my opinion: if you turn on a marshall head it takes a bit less but similar time. it might be 15-20 seconds to warm up the tubes. compared to 40 of the kemper i don't see anything bad on the kemper boot time......

This. 45 seconds is not a very long time, even if you have to restart it at a gig. If they can optimize it then hurray, if not it's not the biggest problem in the world. :)

• True!
    Still I am wondering, why there are so many sooo different boot times?!?
    From 10 seconds someone mentioned up to 50+?
    From the posts here it does not seem to be the number of rigs - so, what else?

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mu7JUgits84

Less than 5 seconds from cold-off-to-playing-a-rig - and its fully stock/original with everything loaded.
    Ben

That video is from 2011. Two years later 2013 the Axe fx 2 has gotten more than 100% longer boot up time, 12 sec. And it's longer today. Link on the fas forum.
    http://forum.fractalaudio.com/…akes-12-seconds-boot.html

You know, this is actually quite an interesting topic/discussion. Does anyone know what Kemper uses for it's non-volatile memory system/architecture?

I am guessing it has to be something like NAND Flash memory, rather than EEPROM. In any case, the relatively long boot-time is suggestive that the KPA is running some type of high level OS (Linux, perhaps?). This is a completely different beast, as compared to, for example, a Digitech GSP1101, a Line 6 POD HD500X, or an Eleven-Rack.

It would be interesting to know what the Kemper is running on, but some staff recently mentioned on this forum it was not Linux.

In a logical serious world wouldn't the Pod HD500 be a superior product with its instant boot time. Or is it the other way around, longer tube amp authentic boot time means a more advanced OS and technology and therefore a better product? :D