A Little bummed out.

• Once again only on this forum an ERROR to the Dropbox link. ?(

Not sure what the problem is I've been posting the same Dropbox links here for 3 and a half years and previously they always worked?

• I def do not need a sub woofer! ( never said there wasn't enough bass in fact I dial some out) But thanks for the advice.

I will look into adding these cabs. I'll be honest Im nervous about messing with updates and importing stuff. Im afraid I'll somehow wipe out the work Ive done !!

I downloaded rig manager and have no idea how thats supposed to work...I need to get my KPA / computer skills together!

Can anyone reccomend a great DI profile ? I want to try the EVM /power amp route

Realistically I only use 3 main amp tones..clean ( Fenderish ) Mid gain ( Marshall JMP/ Trainwreck) hi gain ( 5153 / Soldano/ Friedman)

• Hi Sugarlou,

Please do not take this the wrong way, as I mean no disrespect. Please bear in mind that am trying to help. However, your first two sentences raise a few questions.

A) Do you know exactly what Firmware you currently are running on your KPA? If not, do you know how to go about determining this?

B) Have you been making regular backups of your KPA using a USB Flash Drive. "Regular", is a relative term, but I would recommend once a week...and especially after you have spent considerable time in creating/tweaking/customizing your own "Favorite" Rigs. If you make backups, then you should have zero worries about losing any work you have done, up until the moment of your most recent backup. So, I guess what I am recommending is...RUN, don't walk, to your KPA, plug in your USB Flash Drive and make a new backup file. Then, plug the USB Flash drive into your computer, and make a 2nd COPY of the new backup file and save it on your computer. BOOM! You are now prepared for the Zombie Apocalypse / Robot Uprising / Ebola Pandemic / Asteroid Strike.

C) There is no way you will lose any of your work by upgrading Firmware, or importing new Rigs or Presets, However, should something weird happen (and shit does happen), DO NOT PANIC -- you have a fresh, new backup from which you can restore everything. That is, assuming you have followed item "B".

D) If you are not comfortable in working with a computer, as it applies to your KPA, do not fret, do not feel bad, do not beat yourself up. Just get a friend, relative or co-worker who is more computer oriented, to help you with this. Yeah, yeah,...you didn't buy the KPA to monkey around with a computer. You just want the damn plug & play amplifier that you expected when you bought the KPA. I completely understand and empathize. For the majority of owners, this is exactly what the KPA delivers.

However, your particular situation is a bit unusual. You love the Headphone sound of your KPA, but you are not satisfied with the tones you are getting when connecting and playing through normal speakers (either guitar cab or FRFR). So, quite reasonably, you started this thread asking for help. The Kemper community has responded...we are trying to help you. But if you are going to take advantage of many of these recommendations, you are going to have to roll up your sleeves, dust off your computer, and get to work. Making a backup, and getting comfortable with moving information from your computer to your KPA, and vice versa, is absolutely necessary in this situation. This is because you will be wanting to load various Cabinet profiles and Direct Amp profiles, to work through this situation, and hopefully achieve the results you are expecting.

E) You do not necessarily need Rig Manager to do any of the things discussed in this thread. It can all be done with your computer and a USB Flash Drive. However, with that said, Rig Manager can make things much easier and faster, especially if you are importing or exporting a LOT of rigs/profiles. It also has other fantastic features...such as being able to easily view the fine details on any Rig -- e.g. the type of amplifier, the type of cabinet, the mics used, the author, Rig specific comments, etc.

F) I would encourage other KPA Forum members to offer their suggestions on the three Direct Amp profiles "genres" you are requesting. I am sure you will get a bunch of recommendations. For my part, I would recommend starting with the free Factory Merged Profile Pack I mentioned in a prior post. There are 49 Merged Profiles in this Pack, which means that any of these can be used as Direct Amp profiles. For the three tone examples you have asked about. I would suggest:

1) Clean (Fender-ish):
    Profile Name: MB 3rd Cln BF
    Based upon a 3rd Power MB100 "Black Face", by Michael Britt

Profile Name: TAF - Gentle King
    Based upon a Tone King Metro combo, by TAF (The Amp Factory)

Profile Name: TAF - RoBotZ R GAINY
    Based upon an Evil Robot Combo, by TAF

2) Mid Gain:
    Profile Name: MB OTS OD 1
    Based upon a Ceriatone OTS (Dumble clone) , by Michael Britt

Profile Name: MB Mars MP Tim*
    Based upon a Marshall model 1987 50W Plexi, pushed with a Timmy OD pedal, by Michael Britt.

Profile Name: TAF - TM Again!
    Based upon a Marshall JTM 45 (??), by TAF

3) High Gain:
    Profile Name: MB 5153 Ch3
    Based upon EVH 5150 III, by Michael Britt

Profile Name: MeBo Still Netto Fluiddrive# or MeBo Still Netto Tightddrive
    Based upon Mesa Boogie Stiletto, by Deadlight Studios

Profile Name: Engle Powerfall Hi Sue
    Based upon Engl Powerball, by Deadlight Studios

Good luck and cheers,
    John

• I will look into adding these cabs. I'll be honest Im nervous about messing with updates and importing stuff. Im afraid I'll somehow wipe out the work Ive done !!

You can't wipe out anything by importing Cabs into your Kemper and you don't need Rig Manager to do it.

Simple, download the Cabs from the link on sambrox post (thanks sam).
    Format a USB stick in your Kemper.
    Copy and Paste the Cab files into the Shared folder on your USB stick.
    Put it in your Kemper and Import.
    The Cabs will now automatically be in the Cabinet section of your Kemper.

You want BIG 4X12 tones, it's right there in the Till's Cabs.

• No disrespect taken..Im not arguing with anything here...all very helpful and extremely appreciated!

When i got the KPA I backed up the rigs...and did a firmware (3.0) update. Then people started reporting issues. At one point I thought maybe the DI rigs were to blame. I got panicky as I gig with the KPA so I stopped any further updates out of fear. If you all say its safe to update Ill go ahead with it!

I'll refer to the manual on the update procedure as Ive only done one and it was a while ago

• No disrespect taken..Im not arguing with anything here...all very helpful and extremely appreciated!

When i got the KPA I backed up the rigs...and did a firmware (3.0) update. Then people started reporting issues. At one point I thought maybe the DI rigs were to blame. I got panicky as I gig with the KPA so I stopped any further updates out of fear. If you all say its safe to update Ill go ahead with it!

I'll refer to the manual on the update procedure as Ive only done one and it was a while ago

Yes, Firmware 3.02 is safe and stable, and was elevated to an official public Release.

• Rigs backed up

Firmware up to date

Uploaded Tills/ Mike W / merged rigs pack 2

Of course I spent a couple hours playing and listening to the newly added stuff (with headphones..its quiet time here)

Awesome stuff!

3 questions

Was there a Merged Rig pack 1 I missed?

And how can I tell what rigs are merged (recorded w DI)

Does it say somewhere? I want to run just the DI amp into my EV /Bogner cab

Also can I run a DI signal to the monitor out and an amp/cab signal to the main out at the same time?

Im also looking forward to auditioning some cabs with the CLR as soon as I can crank things up. This might be the solution.

I don't want to be the guy who gives up trying and blames the equipment !

I really want to show my "purist" buddy that this is not only the future but the present. But it has to sound legit!

Edited once, last by sugarlou ().

• Hi Sugarlou,

Glad to hear your Firmware update went well.

There are currently only two Factory Rig Packs that contain Merged Profiles...and they are also the most recent Factory Rig Packs. I assume this is what you are talking about, but just to clarify, these are the titles, as listed on the Kemper site -->Support-->Downloads-->Additional Factory Rigs:

-- Michael Wagener Signature Rig Pack (May 2015)

-- Merged Rigs Pack (February 2015)

In the "Michael Wagener Signature Rig Pack (May 2015)", there are 17 rigs with 9 of them being merged.
    From the 2-page .pdf release notes that is included in the download file:

We had the extraordinairy opportunity to visit Michael in his Wireworld
    studio and have the man himself conjure up incredible guitar sounds.
    These rigs are merged profiles, with the exception of the ones taken
    from the MTS* and Egnater* modules.

So, the six (6) MTS module profiles and the two (2) Egnater profiles are regular Studio Profiles. The remaining nine (9) profiles are Merged Profiles.

In the "Merged Rigs Pack (February 2015)", all profiles are the Merged type (49 total).

As to your last question...indeed, that is the beauty of the new MERGED Profiles. You can run just the Direct Amp part of the Merged profile through your KPA's Monitor Out. You simply turn off the Cabinet section. This can either be done on a rig by rig basis, or it can be done globally, in the Output Menu, by selecting and toggling "Monitor Cab / OFF". Meanwhile, the full Studio Profile (Amp + Cab) will be sent through the MAIN Outs.

Cheers,
    John

• A) The KPA headphone output tones sound amazing..I don't use my tube amps at home anymore. Strictly headphones. Very inspiring ...play for hours!

i know what you are saying about the headphone output. and i agree .

I experienced the same thing. I did a comparison listening to the headphone output and, with the same headphones, into the sound card (with the kemper in it). The sound passed into the audio card is duller and the attack has not the same punch! I would like to record the sound exactly as it is. It may depend on what? Quality of cables? Sound card?

• I experienced the same thing. I did a comparison listening to the headphone output and, with the same headphones, into the sound card (with the kemper in it). The sound passed into the audio card is duller and the attack has not the same punch! I would like to record the sound exactly as it is. It may depend on what? Quality of cables? Sound card?

I never use headphones with the Kemper, but out of curiosity I ran some pink noise through it and recorded the monitor output and headphone out (with the same cable), this is how Ozone match eq shows the difference between them. The only significant difference I can see it that the headphone output has 0.5dB less 130Hz.

[Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/zwcIOFF.jpg]

This leads me to believe your volumes aren't perfectly matched between the headphone out and when you listen through the interface. :)

Less punch and attack is exactly how a 1-2dB volume difference between signals will be perceived.

• I really want to show my "purist" buddy that this is not only the future but the present. But it has to sound legit!

I'm always surprised by how some purists don't realize that the sound of their mic'ed amp out of the FOH system sounds vastly different than what it sounds like standing next to the cabinet.
    the audience never hears it like the performer does , unless you are playing small quiet venues wgere your stage volume is what the audience hears. (And in those instances, it is often loud and shrill to those standing in front of the amp and quiet and muddy to those standing off axis.)

• The sound passed into the audio card is duller and the attack has not the same punch! I would like to record the sound exactly as it is. It may depend on what? Quality of cables? Sound card?

Sadly, the comparison throuhg HPs can't be accurate. If the HPs' output impedance and\or voltage is different you'll get different sounds. Good chances are your card's is higher.
    You'll have to compare the two units through a good pair of monitors, because the differences between the two outputs are less meaningful there.

HTH

• "I'm always surprised by how some purists don't realize that the sound of their mic'ed amp out of the FOH system sounds vastly different than what it sounds like standing next to the cabinet.the audience never hears it like the performer does , unless you are playing small quiet venues wgere your stage volume is what the audience hears. (And in those instances, it is often loud and shrill to those standing in front of the amp and quiet and muddy to those standing off axis.)"

For this Friday night venue we do not mic amps...and they are not blaring..Its a low key restaurant thing so the amp in the room is what the audience hears/ Thats why I'm trying to get it to not sound like an amp a cab and a mic

So theres no way to tell by looking at the rig on the KPA if it is a "merged" profile?

Edited 4 times, last by sugarlou ().

• **** UPDATE******

So after struggling with getting a decent live rig set up with KPA (CLR or KPA and power amp / EVM12) I discovered what may be the best scenario yet ( FOR ME)

This past weekend I had a gig on the board walk on the beach. I was told by my band mate that it would be a big deal with a pro sound company. In my head Im picturing one of those fold out trailer stages and P.A. stack so I decided to bring ONLY a guitar and my KPA. WRONG!

It was a very modest P.A . on a small riser. I told the "sound man" Id need to hear my guitar in my wedge or Id be screwed. He said no problem but once it was fed through the wedge it was God awful. Thin and tinny. I said "can you beef it up" ? He said he would have to change the EQ for ALL the stage monitors in order to get the guitar happening. There was a Fender tube combo in the back line . I ran the monitor out of the KPA into the front of the combo ( didn't have a loop) and Ill be damned but I was able to get a decent tone happening on stage and was able to not mess with his monitor mix EQ. Main out sent to FOH naturally. The combo wasn't micd

Sooooo for shits n giggles tonight I ran the KPA monitor out into the FX return of my Redplate and into a single 12 cab with a Celestion Heritage G12 65

Viola...THE best monitoring live KPA tone yet. I can't believe this approach would yield better results (again for ME) than the CLR and the power amp / EVM12 but it does. A bit more EQ tweak and I just might keep this Kemper.

So to anyone struggling with this ( and I know Im not the only one from replies on other forums ) I suggest you try this. You may very well be as surprised as I am.

Another cool thing is if something should happen to the KPA on a gig Ill already have a backup on stage ready to go

Edited once, last by sugarlou ().