Direct profiling and after that adding cab simulations of other profiles (3.0 firmware)

• Hi all,
    I am thinking on making some profiling of my amps, but I have only a SM57, a small mixer, and not too much knowledge (only basics) about how to mic a cab, so I guess that the result will not be very good, but since 3.0 firmware, I am thinking of profile only preamp+power amp with a DI and add some other good cab simulation from other 3.0 profiles. I think that it would sound good, so if I choose some cab profile that matches mine (2x12" with V30), it must sound similar that mine.
    Do you think that it will work? some advices?

Thanks in advance

• Propably 80% of the most famous + best Guitar tones were created with a simple Single Sm57. I have + tried many mics..the sm57 on the right spot is still my favourite so just try.
    Maybe do some testrecordings and move the mic again. When you are happy - profile that.
    Be aware of 5mm can make a huge difference. I could do 50 profiles or more with the same mic on the same cab in different positions sounding different. The position works like a EQ. Closer to center - brighter....farer darker and so on.
    Everyone does + likes it different but start with the center of the speaker..straight and close. Listen to that...than move it it bit to the side like the edge of the cab. For my needs..there is usually the sweetspot but this one can be anywhere on the cab edge. Also try to pull the mic back maybe 2 fingers...also try to angle it a few degrees. Straight will sound more in your face and cut more, a bit angled (off axis) will sound smoother. Depends on your needs + taste. Just try it..its not that hard.

Other V30 miced cabs from merged profiles will work with your direct profile but it will never sound as your cab even the same brand.

Also keep in mind that on a 4x12 V30 cab...all 4 speakers will sound a bit different :D

You got time...give it a try...profiling is fun ;)
    Hope that helps..if further questions ask!

Cheerz
    Lars

• so if I choose some cab profile that matches mine (2x12" with V30), it must sound similar that mine.

No, that´s a common mistake. There are so many variables within a guitar tone that you cannot get the same sound by using a profile of a cab with a similar configuration. The miking positions alone makes a whole world of difference. Just try both methods. Use other cabs and try profiling for yourself. Both methods are fun and can give you great results.