TC electronic G System - use with Kemper Powered Rack

• So the 'estimated delivery date' for my Kemper remote keeps getting pushed back a month at a time! Figured whilst I'm waiting I reckon I'll implement my TC electronics G System into my Kemper rig :)

Has anyone done this and can provide any tips/hints/advice etc. ? -- I did a forum search for G system but no results cropped up...

First off, looking at 4 cable method ...

My understanding for connecting things up would be:

1) Guitar -> G System input
    2) G Sys Insert Send -> Kemper input
    3) Kemper Direct Output/Send -> G Sys Insert Return
    4) G Sys L (mono) Output -> Kemper Return Input

Just want to ensure this is correct before I go ahead and do it (don't want to inadvertently damage anything!)

All the connections I use between the G Sys and (other) are TRS - TRS to create that pseudo-balanced signal path (all except for the 1) Guitar -> G System Input)

CURRENT:
    (FLOOR) Kemper Remote w/ Mission exp + EB VP
    (RACK) Kemper PowerRack

• If you want the Kemper post effects to be after the G-System post effects, you can connect it as you posted.

I started out using my G-System settings with the Kemper, so I had the Kemper in the G-System's Insert Loop, with all of its effects before the G-System post effects.

1) Guitar -> G System input
    2) G Sys Insert Send -> Kemper input
    3) Kemper Main Output Mono -> G Sys Insert Return
    4) G System Output to my monitor

I had the Kemper in the Insert Loop of my G-System for two years, until I got The Remote. You can use all your current G-System effects until you replace them with the Kemper's effects.

BTW - if you search for "G-System" instead of "G System" - you will see comments from multiple users.

• I use my G-Force in the effectloop and Place it in the x-slot for only some dely and reverb. It work very Nice! be sure to set the mix100. less than that sounds strange!

• Many thanks! Once again, a tremendous help dude! Though, in the 2nd setup there where should cable 4 go if I'm not looking to send it to a monitor...?

CURRENT:
    (RACK) Kemper PowerRack

• I use my G-Force in the effectloop and Place it in the x-slot for only some dely and reverb. It work very Nice! be sure to set the mix100. less than that sounds strange!

Awesome, thanks for chiming in :)

What is your cable routing for that? And how do you place it in the X Slot - is it by selecting 'Stereo loop' ? Good pointer also!

CURRENT:
    (RACK) Kemper PowerRack

• Wicked. I've just popped the Kemper into my rack setup and plugged the G System in as I originally posted (so that Kemper post-FX are last in the chain... I may try this other setup at some point but am aiming to downsize everything to just the Kemper - just waiting on the Kemper remote to replace the G floorboard at this point...!)

How do I change MIDI programs on the Kemper ... ?

My G System is set to output on MIDI channel 2. And if I remember correctly it doesn't utilise MSB (MIDI banks) whilst the Kemper appears to -- all I need is for when I select a switch on the G floorboard to send the program change message so that it selects the correct Performance Slot on the Kemper...

CURRENT:
    (RACK) Kemper PowerRack

Edited once, last by nEVH5150 ().

• Also, is it necessary/required to have a STOMP slot enabled/LOCKED as "Loop Mono" on each PERFORMANCE slot at all times in order to use the "hardware effect (ie. G System) in your signal flow" as per the 'Return and Alternative Input' section of the Basics manual below ...

"The ALTERNATIVE INPUT can be used as a rear side guitar input, which is convenient for Rack and Power-
    Rack in particular. The RETURN input is available as TRS or XLR input. The RETURN input can be used as a
    loop return in external hardware equipment. Select “Loop Mono” or “Loop Distortion” in one of the stomps
    to include a hardware effect in your signal flow. When combined, the RETURN and ALTERNATIVE input
    can be used as the stereo loop returns for external stereophonic equipment by selecting “Loop Stereo” in
    the EFFECTS section (X or MOD). Both the RETURN and the ALTERNATIVE input can also be used as aux-
    iliary inputs. You could, for instance, use this feature to mix in music from your Mp3 player to the sound of
    the PROFILER to play along. You will find the corresponding mix controls in the Output Stage. Please note
    that the PROFILER”s XLR input does not provide phantom power. More details about the usage of the RE-
    TURN, in context of profiling, can be found in our Profiling Guide."

CURRENT:
    (RACK) Kemper PowerRack

• The Kemper will respond to regular MIDI Program Number changes.

If you use the Kemper in Browse Mode, you assign a MIDI program number to each Rig. (This is done in the System Menu)

If you use Performance Mode, they are automatically assigned.

You can set the G-System MIDI Output channel. And, you can set the Kemper MIDI Input channel.

The G-System Manual describes how to set the Output Channel, and how to assign MIDI Program Numbers to each Bank and Switch. It can be downloaded from this page:

http://www.tcelectronic.com/g-system/support/

• Nice one. That's sorted naow :)

But what about my other comment above ...? It doesn't appear to be necessary to have a STOMP with 'loop mono' enabled (FX send/return for the G System connection) for each and every performance slot... DESPITE the Kemper manual stating so - unless I'm mis-reading / mis-understanding it :/

CURRENT:
    (RACK) Kemper PowerRack

• I'm looking to profile more than one mic now.

Have a Focusrite 18i20 and just wondering how best to go about it... (I've read threads/posts/blogs and an accepted way to go about it would seem to be the following...)

Mics > Interface (18i20) > Placement of mics determined by phase relationship (using 'Utility>Gain' Plug-in on Logic Pro X to invert the phase of a signal) > Mix levels of mics > send this as a summed mono ? signal from Logic Pro X back to the 18i20 > from 18i20 OUT to Kemper 'Return In' (via a TS to XLR lead)

Not sure whether it should be a stereo or mono signal returning to the Kemper ? (ie. TS or TRS to XLR lead or custom TS/TS 'Y' cable to XLR)

CURRENT:
    (RACK) Kemper PowerRack

• If you want the Kemper post effects to be after the G-System post effects, you can connect it as you posted.

I started out using my G-System settings with the Kemper, so I had the Kemper in the G-System's Insert Loop, with all of its effects before the…

Hi! Did you eventually replace the G System live? Is there anything you miss?
    I have a G System and am thinking about going Kemper.
    For example TC Chorus is rather classic can you get as good on the Kemper?The System is still a decent switching system the Kemper remote doesn't look that amazing ... I wouldn't use it's looper much.

• Hi! Did you eventually replace the G System live? Is there anything you miss?

Yes - I replaced My G-System and KPA combination Rig with The Remote and the KPA. While the TC has more parameters in the effects, the musical results of the KPA effects are great - I don't miss anything. The Remote can control the effects of the KPA in more sophisticated ways than the G-System can, and accepts up to four expression pedal inputs (up to eight foot switch inputs).

You could use your G-System the way I did, as a MIDI controller and for effects, in combination with the effects in the KPA. One thing that the G-System does NOT do is transmit MIDI continuous controller messages from connected expression pedals. If you want to control the KPA with expression pedals in a G-System/KPA rig, you have to connect them to the back of the KPA.

• I liked the 'halo' coloured lights around the switches of the G system...

Wish the Kemper remote had those and scribble strips!!

CURRENT:
    (RACK) Kemper PowerRack

• Yes - I replaced My G-System and KPA combination Rig with The Remote and the KPA. While the TC has more parameters in the effects, the musical…

Thanks for that info Paul No transmission real time over midi means my ancient Lake Butler Midi Mitigator is still more advanced!

I liked the 'halo' coloured lights around the switches of the G system...

Wish the Kemper remote had those and scribble strips!!

Yes I am thinking that the go may be Kemper for amp tone >digital out > digi in of Line 6 Helix> good EFX and great pedal control, efx editing, scribble strips and multi coloured illumination ( for a live rig at least ).