Kemper PowerRack in rehearsal (/live) scenarios...

• Just wondering if someone could walk through the steps to take (they take...) using the Kemper PowerRack in a live situation such as with a band in rehearsal space...

I will have the KPA plugged into a) an 8ohm 412 cabinet + b) a PA through the Main Outs (ideally looking to use TS to XLR cables so that phantom power is never a worry...) and potentially, c) some kind of monitor wedge that is sometimes at the rehearsal space (not sure of brand or model currently...)

Basically, wondering what the outputs dB's should be set at (and whether or not 'links' should be engaged to the master vol...?) and how others go about set up for different live scenarios (where volume is required!)

N.B. I have gone through all of my slots in performance mode and adjusted pretty much EVERY rig volume... But yeah, wondering about all the different options in the outputs page(s)

Thanks in advance

EDIT: I could of course read the manual but would like to hear about others' experience to get my own ideas / habits down... :)

CURRENT:
    (FLOOR) Kemper Remote w/ Mission exp + EB VP
    (RACK) Kemper PowerRack

• And also, with the power rack and power heads on the 'Speaker Outs' (to guitar cabinetry) is the speaker sim of the profile automatically disabled/missed out from this signal path (since you will be using a guitar cabinet from this output and it would otherwise be differently coloured...)? Akin to the monitor cab off function where you can dis(engage) cab sims for use with FRFR units...

I think I read somewhere that it does it automatically but since the majority of profiles are snapshots of entire rigs (unlike merged profiles from FW3 onwards...) ie. Amp -> cab -> mic(s) then I'm guessing it's not possible (since merged profiles were introduced for this exact purpose)?!

CURRENT:
    (RACK) Kemper PowerRack

• The speaker out is just a powered mirror of the monitor out, so Cabs off on Monitor Out has to be checked in the output menu. Me, I unlink main out volume and set it to -22dB (the Kemper's main outs are hot hot HOT!), that way you can adjust the cabinet volume without messing up the mix in the PA.
    I don't think the KPA is overly sensitive to phantom power (at least I've never taken any precautions), but that's probably one to double check in the manual.

• I do the same as sambrox. I plug in power, main out to FOH, powered speaker out to my passive monitor wedge on the floor. I unlink the main out volume and set it to -20db or so, then I can adjust the volume of my cab without adjusting the FOH volume. Works like a charm in live situations. The FOH engineer can control the guitar level the way they want and I can control my stage volume. I have never checked on phantom power either. I am now going to check the manual. You could always go into a DI box then to the board if you were worried about that.

• The manual states to avoid supplying phantom power to the KPA... which is why I will take the precaution if having XLR to jack leads for the main outs (as accidents happen...)

What dB are your other levels set at (monitor...etc?) or does this change with the master vol ?

Cheers

CURRENT:
    (RACK) Kemper PowerRack

• Good to know about the phantom power, I will make sure ours is off at the board on my channel. I believe the dB of the monitor out changes if you change the master vol (if you have it setup like described) I just set it to a level I know works well and adjust it accordingly. I almost always play in the same place though so I know the levels that need to be there.

• Appreciate the insights fellas...

What do you set your Monitor Volume to with your Main Vol at -20(ish) dB ??

Do you have it linked to the Master and leave some headroom (say, set at around -15dB then you can turn up via the Master?)

With the PowerRack you have an option of PowerAmp Boost on the 'Speaker Out' as well.... :)

CURRENT:
    (RACK) Kemper PowerRack

• Monitor volume for me varies depending on the size of the stage and room, the volume of the rest of the band and the type of music I'm playing. Obviously, I like to be able to hear myself, but not at the expense of not hearing everyone else!

• Monitor volume for me varies depending on the size of the stage and room, the volume of the rest of the band and the type of music I'm playing. Obviously, I like to be able to hear myself, but not at the expense of not hearing everyone else!

Nice one. I've just got back from the rehearsal space so can remember my settings -- it was more cooperative this time round anyway :D

Un-linked Main volume so had the bassist just set the P.A. to a level he and the drummer were happy with... (Main Vol set to -20.0dB ish)

Had Monitor Cab Off (so mirrored in the Speaker Out) and set this Volume to about -15.0dB roughly to start.

Powered a Marshall 4x12 (which was either 16 or 8 ohm - not entirely sure but safe with the Profiler...) and put the Cabinet Power Boost to max 12.0 ....

Then only had to adjust Master vol (as all my rigs in performance mode have their own tweaked Rig volumes) :)

Much better than last time overall ...but a little worried about pushing the PowerAmp in the Kemper too hard (boosted at 12.0) and for prolonged period of time (our jam was 3hrs+)

CURRENT:
    (RACK) Kemper PowerRack

• Just a thought... Is there any really point in having 'Monitor Cab Off' ticked for the majority of profiles (as you can only separate the cab from amp in merged profiles, can you not...?)

CURRENT:
    (RACK) Kemper PowerRack

• Just a thought... Is there any really point in having 'Monitor Cab Off' ticked for the majority of profiles (as you can only separate the cab from amp in merged profiles, can you not...?)

That's not entirely correct. While an 100% accurate separation amp/cab can only happen in merged profiles, in studio profiles the cabdriver feature comes into play, which has been introduced a long time ago
    Cabdriver does an estimated separation between amp and cab and in my experience the results are very good.

• That's not entirely correct. While an 100% accurate separation amp/cab can only happen in merged profiles, in studio profiles the cabdriver feature comes into play, which has been introduced a long time ago
    Cabdriver does an estimated separation between amp and cab and in my experience the results are very good.

+1

• Great, thanks! I'd read of this CabDriver at some point - but didn't realise what it related to! So it is worthwhile ticking 'Monitor Cab Off' to compare the differences - good to know :)

On the subject of cab emulations - does anyone know why I can't load a 48KHz cab IR into the Kemper cab impulse maker?

Conversely, how do you convert a cab IR from 48 to 44.1 haha?

CURRENT:
    (RACK) Kemper PowerRack