live cab or internal cab?

• I'm sorry if this is covered elsewhere, but just a quick question: if you can already go to FOH with cab sims via main outs and turn cab sims off with monitor out to a power amp / guitar cab with all of the profiles, what benefit do merged profiles offer?

• In merged profiles the amp/cab seperation is better. So when you switch off cab sim, you'll get a true amp profile. Before FW 3 the seperation was not as good as now, which was leading to amps and cabs which contained a certain amount of each other.

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

• So what about profiles of the commercial type? Let's say you paid for some smokin' profiles will they re issue those as improved ( merged ) profiles? Or will there be a whole new category? If they start a whole new category there will be some lag before the selection is as vast as now. And all the older ones will be kinda mouldy and forgotten. People like me that haven't yet received our Kempers will hold off until the new and improved profiles emerge.

• @Danger : If you mainly use studio profiles like me you don't get any benefit from merged profiles at all.
    Some of the commercial profilers already have stated that they don't intend to step into this territory.
    Also don't misunderstand @Kempermaniac. I think he meant to say (by saying 'better’ separation) that the separation between amp and cab is more accurate with merged profiles, but not that the resulting Profile is necessarily better (which is subjective anyway).

• So what I'm taking from this is that prior to the improvement there could be residual cab character that would stay with the amp sound after de activating the cab? The new method is more precise and less or no cab colours the amp now, correct? So this would suggest a HiWatt cab could be selected for a Marshall head and the Marshall cab would not migrate into the HiWatt cab? Or simply eliminating the cab for an amp connection would yield a more pure amp sound? I hope I'm understanding this right?
    Is there a limitation on swapping amps and cabs? Let's say you have 100 amps and 150 cabs, can you mix and match any amp with any cab? Or is this wishful thinking?

Edited once, last by Danger ().

• So what I'm taking from this is that prior to the improvement there could be residual cab character that would stay with the amp sound after de activating the cab? The new method is more precise and less or no cab colours the amp now, correct? So this would suggest a HiWatt cab could be selected for a Marshall head and the Marshall cab would not migrate into the HiWatt cab? Or simply eliminating the cab for an amp connection would yield a more pure amp sound? I hope I'm understanding this right?
    Is there a limitation on swapping amps and cabs? Let's say you have 100 amps and 150 cabs, can you mix and match any amp with any cab? Or is this wishful thinking?

You got that right.
    With merged profiles (i.e. profiles where amp and cab can be separated accurately) you can mix & match any amp with any cab, but keep in mind that at the profiling stage still amp and cab were influenced by each other and thus not 100% separable.
    Or IOW: The profile of an amp x was obtained with a certain cab/load y and would likely sound different if obtained with another cab/load z.
    But this is getting philosophical now and certainly is hair splitting territory. ;)