changed my recording setup - trying to use spdif out on kemper for recording: assistance no output

• I changed myrecordingsetup and dumped a Digidesign Rack 003 with the kemper connected via XLR and moved to an apogee ensemble thunderbolt audio interface.

this works fine with the inputs, but I'm trying something different with my kemper based on the advice of some much more advanced kemper users then myself.

I'm connecting the kemper spdif out to the ensemble thunderbolt spdif in, then I select interface->S/PDIF/Left (Mono) (or right doesn't matter) within pro-tools 11.
    Select record enabled on the track, and hit the guitar, there is no input.

When I hit "output" and page to spdif I don't see a volume control and the dial under spdif changes the setting to git/stack or stack

When I hit the guitar there is no input/volume, so nothing can be recorded, am I approaching this wrong ? do I have to do something on the kemper to see/set the spdif output ?

Thoughts or advice ?

• There is no word clock connector on the Profiler. It means that the Profiler needs to be the sync master in a digital environment if you want to record through it.
    You need to set your interface to be the sync slave so it will follow the clock that is being send over the SPDIF out from the Profiler.

• that maybe a problem then (hence my question about world clock) as the apogee is the world clock master for the other audio devices that are hooked into it

I assume I'll have to not use spdif then and go back to the analog output.

I assume that would account for the zero output then ?

• I have no experience with the Apogee interface but some interfaces will not produce any sound when the sync is not set up properly while others will let sound through but add clicks and pops to the signal. Anyway-if you do not want to use the Profiler as the clock master you will need to use the analog i/o instead.

• Just select in the Apogee I/O settings Clock Source / Extern. S/PDIF To make it slave and select "Digital" for the 2 Input channels you want go in. Your session sample Rate Have to be 44.1khz at any event.

At least that's what I do when recording with my Avid HD I/O Interface, when I record guitars I just switch the Clock source to external, for everything else in my session I go back to Internal so my interface Is Master again, I assume you dont need the other digital devices
    when tracking ? If, go for Analog, I also do now because want to record in 48 khz for example. Yep