Question about ver 3 profiles and monitor out without cab.

• Here we go: if i have a direct amp profile and import a cabinet preset, will the monitor out still sound the same as with just the direct amp? (kemper has"cab off" set to on)

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.

• A direct amp profile with no cab present will sound fizzy on all outputs unless monitor out is used and connected to a guitar cab.

if you use a direct amp profile and add a cab to the rig. Then main outs will sound good and monitor out will sound the same unless you turn cab driver off, which would be what you do if using a guitar speaker cab with the KPA.

merged profiles are when a direct profile and a studio profile have been used together to create a merged profile. This is where the cab portion of the profile can be completely removed.

• Err thanks for your reply, i have a cab box (costum built to me by t-rex engeneering, it sounds fantastic) patched in on those direct amp profiles. I do know what i am doing, and how things will sound if i have no cab emulation of any sort on the main outs.

I asked about the monitor output not the main outs :)

so perhaps this is one of those threads were i should say please no "why would you want to do that" type-ish replys.

• Err thanks for your reply, i have a cab box (costum built to me by t-rex engeneering, it sounds fantastic) patched in on those direct amp profiles. I do know what i am doing, and how things will sound if i have no cab emulation of any sort on the main outs.

I asked about the monitor output not the main outs :)

so perhaps this is one of those threads were i should say please no "why would you want to do that" type-ish replys.

Ok sorry if I offended you. So what are you actually asking then ? :)

• A Direct Profile is basically ONLY the Amp + EQ.
    A standard profile is the Amp + EQ + Cab.
    Direct Profile + Cab = Merged Profile

A merged profile and a standard profile, at the end of the day, will sound identical (nuances aside).

Guitars: Parker Fly Mojo Flame, Ibanez RG7620 7-string, Legator Ninja 8-string, Fender Strat & Tele, Breedlove Pro C25
    Pedalboard: Templeboards Trio 43, Mission VM-1, Morley Bad Horsie, RJM Mini Effect Gizmo, 6 Degrees FX Sally Drive, Foxpedals The City, Addrock Ol' Yeller, RJM MMGT/22, Mission RJM EP-1, Strymon Timeline + BigSky
    Stack: Furman PL-Plus C, Kemper Rack

• Additionally, if the cab is off, it's going to sound like a pre+power amp chain. It might sound truer to the original amp with a Direct Profile, but you'll be pretty similar in both cases.

Guitars: Parker Fly Mojo Flame, Ibanez RG7620 7-string, Legator Ninja 8-string, Fender Strat & Tele, Breedlove Pro C25
    Pedalboard: Templeboards Trio 43, Mission VM-1, Morley Bad Horsie, RJM Mini Effect Gizmo, 6 Degrees FX Sally Drive, Foxpedals The City, Addrock Ol' Yeller, RJM MMGT/22, Mission RJM EP-1, Strymon Timeline + BigSky

• Ok sorry if I offended you. So what are you actually asking then ? :)

No problem, on a forum noone knows if a new user is "clueless" or not if you get my drift.....

I have made direct amp profiles of the jmp-1 sounds i regularly use. I made them as direct amp profiles. And because i had gigs coming up i didn't have time to do both direct amp profiles and studioprofiles with the t-rex box and then merge them.

So now i that i have no gigs until next weekend i did make yet a single direct amp profile, a studio profile with the box on and merged the two. I then saved the resulting cabinet as a cabinet preset. The cab preset sounds quite good though it has slightly less bottom, but that is alright.

So now i want to import that cab preset into all the sounds i only have direct amp profiles of, so i can take the t-rex thing out of my rack. And since i run a regular guitar cabinet from the monitor out i want to make sure the output is not affected.

• Additional question. Shouldn't it be possible to merge a direct amp profile with a cabinet preset in order to make a merged profile?

• If you have made a merged profile you now have a Cab which is totally free from any profile and can be used with any direct profile and should sound exactly like that amp and cab would if they were together in the real world :)

And they (almost) do. Close enough anyway :)

Let me ask another way. In order to get a good sound in my guitar cabinet (connected to the monitor out) i just profiled all my sounds as direct amp sounds and had only the amp switched on in the amp section. Will it affect the monitor out sound if i import a cab preset into the stack section (and turn cab on in the stack section of course)?

The monitor output in the output menu is set to "cabinet off".

• No, it won't affect the sound in monitor out as long as cab is off for this output. But the cab sim will affect the main outs, but this is something you want anyway. This way you can have your stage sound via monitor out (cab sim off) with your guitar cab and a full signal chain with cab sim on for FOH via the main outs. Advantage: You don't have to mic your guitar cab.

And to your additional question: Merging is only for the Direct Amp Profile with the cab of the Studio Profile you made for the same amp. Later you can of course apply any cab sim you want to the Direct Amp Profile, but don't merge again!

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

• Direct profile + Studio profile is what makes a Merged profile :)

Yep, that's what I meant to say. It is rather confusing.

• No, it won't affect the sound in monitor out as long as cab is off for this output. But the cab sim will affect the main outs, but this is something you want anyway. This way you can have your stage sound via monitor out (cab sim off) with your guitar cab and a full signal chain with cab sim on for FOH via the main outs. Advantage: You don't have to mic your guitar cab.

And to your additional question: Merging is only for the Direct Amp Profile with the cab of the Studio Profile you made for the same amp. Later you can of course apply any cab sim you want to the Direct Amp Profile, but don't merge again!

Thanx. That was the reply i was looking for :)

• You're welcome. Let me add that there's imho also a disadvantage with your setup: Likely the sound on stage is not the same like the FOH sound (due to your real guitar cab on stage and the cab sim for FOH). But if you can live with it, everything's fine. :)

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

• That's the thing. That cab sim sounds very very close to the two celestion vintage 30 speakers in my cab. I have done albums, gigs of any kind from theatre to large scale, tv shows etc etc and always had soundguys come to me afterwards to tell me how amazing that little "black box" sounds.

Edited once, last by Kim_Olesen ().