Those of you using cabinets as well as going DI... do you have different patches for each setup?

• So having owned the Kemper for a week, I already can't imagine a scenario where I won't use it. I love it!

I've been playing it mainly DI'd into my monitors at home and I've used it on a few gigs where I've DI'd to the desk an used in-ears and it sounds tremendous. It also sounds great through my Suhr 1x12 cab, albeit different. I'm wondering if those of you who occasionally use both - I'm thinking the scenario where I might not be going through the PA on some gigs, jams etc - do you set up patches for use with just your cab as well as the DI ones?

What I mean is, do you tend to have a separate bank for patches dialled in for DI/in-ears and patches dialled in specifically for the cabinet?

• So far i used my kemper this way:

Main Out to FOH
    Speaker Out (Powerhead) to Guitar Cab (1x12 Vintage 30)

I just selected the 2 Profiles i liked best and organized them with different gain settings in 2 performances.
    For all of them i chose the same cabinet (4x12) to keep the sound consistend.
    So the FOH gets the 'amps' through a miced 4x12 and i hear my self on stage through a 1x12.
    I don't see the need to have different profiles, because they sound good through my guitar cab and through FOH.
    Nevertheless i am aware, that i don't hear exactly what the audience hears. I don't really need it, because i initially set up my sounds through frfr monitors and i can trust my kemper to sound good ^^ .
    But i think sooner or later i will switch to frfr to have the same sound on stage as through FOH. But even then, i think i would just hook up my guitar cab to the speaker out if i like and play the same profiles through it.

Did this help you? ?(:/

Regards,
    LH

• For this application you should look at merged profiles. With merged profiles you get the best of both worlds, you can use a FRFR monitor, in-ears or a guitar cab on stage while sending the full (mic'd) sound to the mains. In any case you can expect really good results, I'd say 90-99% as accurate as the real thing depending on the quality of the profile.

My second choice would be Direct Amp (DA) profiles with 3rd party CAB's or imported IR's, these are not as accurate as merged profiles but I've got some really good results and this method gives you a lot more options because you have a lot more CAB's to choose from.

• For this application you should look at merged profiles. With merged profiles you get the best of both worlds, you can use a FRFR monitor, in-ears or a guitar cab on stage while sending the full (mic'd) sound to the mains. In any case you can expect really good results, I'd say 90-99% as accurate as the real thing depending on the quality of the profile.

My second choice would be Direct Amp (DA) profiles with 3rd party CAB's or imported IR's, these are not as accurate as merged profiles but I've got some really good results and this method gives you a lot more options because you have a lot more CAB's to choose from.

Well at the moment i don't think using IR would be a good route to take. Some bug in either Cab Maker or the KPA itself changes the sound of the IR too much.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.

• Well at the moment i don't think using IR would be a good route to take. Some bug in either Cab Maker or the KPA itself changes the sound of the IR too much.

I agree that Cab Maker has some issues, I do hope that Kemper addresses these issues or gives us another method to use IR's in the KPA without converting them first. If I can run the KPA into my Torpedo CAB and get accurate results then I have to believe that Kemper can give us the ability to run IR's within the KPA, I'm hoping that they will do that soon.

But honestly, I have got some usable results from Cab Maker, they are not accurate but some of them do sound okay, they kind of remind me of using a modeler, oops, did I just say that out loud :)

Seriously though, I use the KPA because it is the only authentic digital processor that I have ever used, and I have used a bunch of them. When I need to use Cab Maker the KPA is no longer authentic and this bugs me. Merged profiles are authentic but they require more work to make and you are limited to the single CAB that you merged from the equivalent studio profile. Being able to load IR's directly into the KPA would give us the option of using different cabs with DA profiles that are perfectly accurate.

Sorry for the short rant, but I think that you raised an important point that needs to be discussed.

How do I know if I'm using merged profiles? I currently have the cab sims off for my cab and the master volume only affects the cab, whilst I have the full on modelled sound going to FOH.

• How do I know if I'm using merged profiles? I currently have the cab sims off for my cab and the master volume only affects the cab, whilst I have the full on modelled sound going to FOH.

If I understand correctly, the only way to know if a profile is merged is if you make it yourself or if the person who made it tells you that it is merged, there is no embedded tag or anything like that to tell you if a profile is merged (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

If you are not familiar with Direct Amp or Merged profiles you should read the Kemper Profiling Guide to understand how they work, it's some really cool stuff.