popping sound during playing (Solved)

DamianGreda10 hours ago

Two questions?
    1- Do you connect your output always to the same interface? Did you try to play with headphones output of the KPA) ?
    2- When the Pop occurs do you notice that the output diode is flashing red?

Thanks for the suggestions Damian!

1a) I don't connect the unit to an interface, only to rig manager. The studio speakers are connected to the unit with XLR cables.
    1b) Hmmm, that's an interesting idea, I'm a bit hesitant though, since these pops are already very loud on my studio speakers, if they have a comparable volume on my headphones, I think it might damage my ears.
    2) I tent to look at my fretting hand when I play, I will also check this tonight, that is if I will get it running with sound again.

Could it be possible that this issue has something the do with the fact that I use XLR cables? I play in my "man cave", afterwards I always disconnect the cables and take the kemper back inside the house.
    The fact that I re-connect and dis-connect these XLR cables daily could not damage the unit?

• Thanks for the advice, would that mean opening a thread in "Profiler related issues and trouble shooting help"?

Code
    [quote][quote][/quote][/quote]

[/quote]
    This means that you have to go to the kpa website and open a service ticket. After that you recieve a mail and you are directely in contact with a service guy from kpa.
    Those guys couldt help you very quick.

• So I logged a service ticket as Eltzejupp suggested, thanks for your patience with me Eltzejupp ;-).
    KPA helpdesk gave me some suggestions which I verified as soon as I came home from work.

They suggested that I had to check if my SPDIF OUT was active, since this creates problems if your interface is not on 44.1 kHz at 24 bit. Of course it was active, and the sound card of my computer was set to 48 kHz at 24 bit :whistling:
    Switched the SPDIF OUT to inactive and to be on the safe side also changed the setting of my sound card to 44.1 kHz at 24 bit.
    Tested all weekend long and did not have anymore loud pops!

Pretty dumb mistake.....I know, the basic manual also mentions it, I even remember reading it....but since I never ever record something, I read it and forgot it.
    So even if you don't record and don't have any interface like reaper or something installed....remember to also adjust the setting of your sound card, if you don't want to blow the cones out of your speakers!

• Hi all,

first, let me thanks Trasher for sharing his problem.

I got the same problem here while playing, 300% volume brief crackling pop agressive sound, randomly.

Changing cabinet seems to resolve that issue, I said "seems" because I didn't play enough to be sure about it.

Anyway, I search for the problem and found Trasher's thread.

For now, I turn off the SPDIF output and will do test this week.

I'm playing 90% of the time with the REIGN IN BLOOD profile. I just got my Kemper for two month and have that problem only since two weeks (weird) .

I didn't hear that problem when playing other profiles (i.e. Fireball Metal 1 from Zaubermaus).

Chain= EMG 81 ---> Whirlwind cable ---> Kemper front input ---> 1/4 stereo main output ---> analog mixer ---> analog amplifier ---> headphones

No others inputs or outputs get a cable.

I tried with a second guitar and another cable, passive pickup Dimarzio Super Distortion and got the same result, Crackling sound occured.

I will post result in a week.

WhipsMontreal

• Same problem here too. The extremely LOUD bangs scare the sh*t out of me, especially when playing clean. I cannot reproduce it though, they randomly appear while playing aggresively. I do use EMG's though, so maybe it's an input volume issue?

• I don't think it has anything to do with your emg's or an imput volume issue. I had this problem with emg, blackouts & black
    winter's. In the end turning off the spiff didn't solve the issue completely for me. The loud bang's didn't occur anymore, but they were replaced by glitches and a couple of weeks later the unit would stop producing sound. When this first happened I could restart the unit and it would work as normal again. But in the end it would stop producing sound after a couple of minutes playing and I was spending more time restarting the unit over and over again then playing.
    I had to send unit back to the kemper repair centre and it took something like a month before I got it back, after this I had no more problems.