Profiling Clean Amps help.

• HI Guys,

First just want to state I love my Kemper and its amazing, so get that out of the way, haha.

Next, I have trying to profile a few of my clean amps, but mainly my Mesa Lonestar. While I can get a pretty close sound I feel like something is missing. I switch back and forth between the profile and amp and while the tone is close I feel like the profile gets less 3D and more flat sounding. It seems to lose the dynamics and push and pull of the amp when I switch back. Maybe this is just the limitation of the technology.

I have played the amp definition and all that stuff and it does sound better but I still feel like it looses something in translation. If this is just the way it is, then its no problem because it still sounds good but want to get it as close as I can hear it and feels. Any ideas or tips?

Thanks
    Jason

• Thanks,

I am very experienced on micing, etc, so that doesn't seem to be the issue. The issue seems to be when comparing the Profile VS the Amp after the profile it seems to lose something. Using the Profile/Reference amp button after the amp is profiled. It seems to compress it some or lose the spank/3D of it.

• Since you are experienced with mic technique, that removes many variables:)

Is the sound of the guitar cabinet completely isolated from your listening space, or are you getting some of that 3-D effect from the physical location of the cabinet?

Although, even if the cab is isolated, it may still sound a little more open - the KPA has absolutely no room sound in a profile, but a close-miced amp may have a little bit of room in the sound.

The Space parameter can help.

• Thanks, I am getting alittle bleed but not much to be honest. I feel like the profiled version just loses some of the dynamics of the amp. It doesnt push and pull, but maybe I need to more experimenting and use headphones and test so I get no bleed, etc.

• I have only profiled my favourite Koch Multitone, and I used a SM57. I will say its 95 % like the original. Trough PA i think its very difficult to hear the difference.. In my opinion the Kemper diliver better sounds overall live trough PA. But offcource nothing beat a masterbuilt tubeamp in your boysroom! I bought the Kemper because i play 98% live and wanted less weight to carry!

How dynamic your amp sounds depends on many things.. mic placement, type of mic, what amp you play, what guitar and what pickups you play with.. what you in the end are listening trough is also very important!!

• Even when making a DI profile, the tone loses that 3D representation and is more compressed. Through PA you may not notice that but is obvious through studio monitors.

It's good enough for me but, for recording, i prefer a real amp and it's corresponding workflow.