SPDIF recording

• Finally got a coax cable to connect my Roland Quadcapture to my Kemper.
    I set the SPDIF output volume to 0dB in the output menu, yet all I get in Reaper is a -6dB max value track.

Is there a way to make the spdif signal louder? Maybe even clip?

I'm just trying to be as truthful to my experience and personal opinion that I'm clearly presenting only as a personal opinion no more no less in an honest and truthful discussion about equipment.

• Play with the volume button in front of the Kemper but keep an eye to the output led. Stay Green

-6dbFS is loud for recording.
    Try to record around the 0db VU (-18db FS)
    EDIT: USA use 0db VU = (-20db FS) correct me if i'm wrong

• I'm sorry, I'm not recording savvy and have no clue what dB scale is Reaper using. All I see is that the bar stops at -6dB and won't go higher no matter what I do and the Kemper output is maxed out (no red led on kemper, humbucker guitar).

I'm not really complaining as my headphone problem is likely a Quadcapture issue, I was just wondering whether it is normal that I can't make a Reaper track clip. I realize it's bad practice but I kinda think it should be possible?
    Maybe there's something in Reaper I'm missing?

I'm just trying to be as truthful to my experience and personal opinion that I'm clearly presenting only as a personal opinion no more no less in an honest and truthful discussion about equipment.

• Didn't even think of that, I don't think I've opened that more than once. :whistling:

Anyways, that's not it. When I raise that volume I do get a change in headphone volume (so that's one problem solved) and the "mixer" panel shows the increase in signal level and some clipping (somewhere) but it doesn't do anything for the level of the signal hitting the Reaper. Still stuck at -6...

• of course. This also affects the headphone situation but again, no effect on the Reaper signal (as expected, tbh)...

• It could very well be. The Kemper out is maxed and no matter what I fiddle with on the QC makes any difference.
    Still, very much appreciate your input. I completely forgot about the control panel. :rolleyes:
    Thanks!

• I'm not really complaining as my headphone problem is likely a Quadcapture issue, I was just wondering whether it is normal that I can't make a Reaper track clip. I realize it's bad practice but I kinda think it should be possible?
    Maybe there's something in Reaper I'm missing?

SPDIF is a digital signal. If you were to clip on the way in - you'd most likely also be clipping in the Kemper.

-6 dB is loud. There's no need to go louder than this when recording - you're worrying needlessly

• Alright then... good to know! :thumbup:

• ) and the "mixer" panel shows the increase in signal level…

The "mixer panel" I assume is for the quadcapture... software that came with it?

The way it works is.... the signal leaves the KPA at a certain level. The Quad should see that signal at it's exact level. If it leaves at 0dB the quad should show 0dB, etc... Likewise... Reaper will simply see that same level, it is simply reading the interface.

Now you could, in your 'mixer panel' of the quad, pull the level down. So you would have KPA 0dB >> Quad pulled down to -6dB >> Reaper will show -6dB.... and likewise there is an input trim fader in Reaper that you could pull down or boost.

The Quad and Reaper should have their faders set to 0dB. Meaning they simply pass and record exactly what is coming from the KPA.

I unfortunately do not have a KPA yet, so can't tell you where to look, but you are correct, you -should- be able to hit 0dB going to the QUAD and Reaper. As others have said, not the greatest idea but you should get a handle on where your levels are from in to out and you should be able to set them where you want them and not where they simply choose to be on their own.

I would first check to sure you are using correct driver for Quad and that it is not set to -6dB as a safety precaution.... ex.. It's faders are not set to 0dB... Reapers inputs will be at 0dB by default.

I would think this may be the culprit.....

"AUTO-SENS automatically sets the input level for you
    With AUTO-SENS, you can achieve perfect input levels quickly. Simply by playing
    for a short amount of time, QUAD-CAPTURE analyzes the variations in volume
    and calculates the optimum value, setting the optimum input levels for the source.
    This function is tremendously useful when recording under tight time constraints"

• I'm sorry, I just haven't had the time to plug in the last few days and try all the suggestions. The life just got the better of me.

I will get to it soon and report back.