Sound card to record the KPA

• Hi,

I want to buy a sound card to reamp and record my kemper.
    My question is if anyone has experience on these two sound cards?:

Focusrite Scarlett 6i6
    Roland Quad-Capture UA-55

I only need a good sound card with S/PDIF. So I found these two but if you have any other suggestions, please let me know.

Currently, I use my Line6 POD HD pro to record my KPA, but I could not figure out how to do the reamping. I managed to record the DI signal but Return reamp did not work with my Line6. So now I want to replace my Line6 with a sound card.

I would really appreciate it if anyone can help me to choose a proper sound card!

Kind Regards
    Mahan

• Hi,

I had it down to these two few month ago. After massive research (bad experiences on the NI KA6 on my pc and no usefull help from the company) there was a reason why I went for the Scarlett.
    Unfortunately I don't remember the reason, so I don't want to disparage the Roland in any way. But I can say that the Scarlett works perfectly and hasn't let me down a single time. Support is helpful (I write to the support before I buy a product like this every time). Soundwise, I owned and compared M--Audio devices, the mentioned Native Instruments device, L6 Guitar Ports and few other modelers with sound card options. In the end, at the price range we're talking about, they all sound close and good. I run the KPA via s/pdif, so the sound going to Cubase will always be as good as the KPA gets.

Edit:
    One reason I went for the Scarlett, is that it can do direct monitoring on the s/pdif out. (As far as this is possible due to the d/a conversion on the main outs.
    Another reason was, that the headphone mix stays true stereo. Other devices sum the signal up to a pseudo stereo but actually mono mix.

I don't remember which interface failed on which aspect, but I was comparing the Roland, Steinberg's smaller interfaces and the comparable Presonus stuff, and the Scarlett made it. Does it all.

Cheers

Gear: Strats & KPA. Plug Ins: Cubase, NI, iZotope, Slate, XLN, Spectrasonics.
    Music: Song from my former band: vimeo.com/10419626[/media][/media][/media] Something new on the way...

Edited 6 times, last by Fireloogie ().

• Bit of a noob question but how does the Focusrite connect to the pc for recording? I have been asked to do a recording for someone in a couple of weeks and would like to use the kemper instead of my usual setup. Is the Focusrite all that is required?

• Bit of a noob question but how does the Focusrite connect to the pc for recording? I have been asked to do a recording for someone in a couple of weeks and would like to use the kemper instead of my usual setup. Is the Focusrite all that is required?

There are two product lines for Focusrite: One are USB interfaces, the other are FireWire. Depends on your computer what you prefer.

• Thanks for the reply, would be looking for the simplest option to be honest. I have yet to research the recording side of things with the kemper...so I appreciate your help.

If you are on Mac you'll want to go the FW route, on PC it is USB all the way.

• Went to Scarlett 18i20 from M-Audio Fast Track Ultra. Probably a little over kill for my needs but better routing capabilities, software, and support. Oh yeah as always looks cool too if not mounted in a rack so you can see the red metal :thumbup:

• If you are on Mac you'll want to go the FW route, on PC it is USB all the way.

Have a rather powerful pc so will be using that, so just to clarify..usb interface and Focusrite is all is required to sucsessfully hook everything up for recording? Any recommendations for choice of usb interface?

Thanks again

• Have a rather powerful pc so will be using that, so just to clarify..usb interface and Focusrite is all is required to sucsessfully hook everything up for recording? Any recommendations for choice of usb interface?

There's a misconception on your side. ;)
    You can buy Focusrite interfaces with a FW connection (more suited for Macs) or with a USB connection (more suited to PC's).
    No separate USB- interface necessary here. You'll want to have a look at the Focusrite scarlett series.