Anyone smarter than me in electronics that can answer this ?

• i already have a shortened fcb1010 running external exp pedals via trs plugs and get my midi in and out and power over cat 5. I've also added four additional momentary switches to the board that can plug trs cables into kemper back. What I would like to know is could I add these trs cables midi in, midi out and power on the Same cat 5 ? In other words, can I combine my dc power positive and neg with midi like ppoe? I'd rather not just add 9 volts DC to midi connector and see if it fries my fcb board... Also Could I just run the tips and rings through cat 5 and sleeves all to ground on pedalboard? 4 twisted pairs leaving 8 total wires available...

Edited once, last by tntent ().

• Thanks again Paul, have to look into the gk13.
    Normally I would take just about anything you say and run with it, however what I dont understand is how many power over ethernet applications are able to mix data and dc power. Then again Im no electronics engineer. This is apparently and industry standard even and sometimes used at up to 48vdc. http://www.tayloredge.com/reference/Interface/POE.jpg

• What about a common ground for the 9V supply and the switches?
    This depends on the actual circuit of the KPA pedal Jacks.
    A CAT5 cable has 8 conductors plus common ground/shielding, 4 go to the momentary switches, 2 for midi out (using common ground for the 3rd pin), 2 for midi in (no ground needed).
    If you sacrifice one of momentary switches and the common grounding would work (someone from Kemper would need to verify this), it would be possible to use 1 conductor for the +9Vdc. everything else would have to be done with a couple resistor networks like it is for 48v phantom powered circuits.

• What about a common ground for the 9V supply and the switches?
    This depends on the actual circuit of the KPA pedal Jacks.
    A CAT5 cable has 8 conductors plus common ground/shielding, 4 go to the momentary switches, 2 for midi out (using common ground for the 3rd pin), 2 for midi in (no ground needed).
    If you sacrifice one of momentary switches and the common grounding would work (someone from Kemper would need to verify this), it would be possible to use 1 conductor for the +9Vdc. everything else would have to be done with a couple resistor networks like it is for 48v phantom powered circuits.

Thanks for your input.. Im now considering taking paults suggestion of using the gk 13 cable. locking and high quality cables available in various lengths... 13 pins available plus shield. Now I want to up the ante even more but not certain where I will be able to share ground. This is what Im thinking. midi in, midi out, 4 momentary switches via to trs, AND GUITAR TS SIGNAL. POSSIBLE ? this would allow me to plug in at pedalboard and have only one cable going to back of kemper. Anyone with any thoughts on wiring configuration, and or how to connect for lowest noise in signal possible feel free to make a suggestion..

• Well now Paul youve just gone toooo far...(maybe) LOL..... These cables tend to be stiff though and connections are not quite as quik. I think I may just use a gk 13 cable soon though.. I will have to post some more pics of my rig and this custom controller in its various stages of development if I ever stop improving it. Probably even make another for backup at about 135 for a new fcb under 200 with new chip and all switches, connectors etc. and already have paint and labels

• I wouldn't consider sending my (passive) guitar signal through one of these DB /Sub-D cables. The capacity of the wire and shielding is probably not made for the HiZ signal of a guitar, and I guess there would be a significant loss of signal quality. The GK Cable may be a different story, but I never really liked the way these plugs clicked into the their jacks.
    Why don't you just tie the optimal selection of cables together with some kind of cable wrap?

• I wouldn't consider sending my (passive) guitar signal through one of these DB /Sub-D cables. The capacity of the wire and shielding is probably not made for the HiZ signal of a guitar, and I guess there would be a significant loss of signal quality. The GK Cable may be a different story, but I never really liked the way these plugs clicked into the their jacks.
    Why don't you just tie the optimal selection of cables together with some kind of cable wrap?

Thanks for the input. I'm assuming the the sub d cable is the printer type cable. I was not planning on using that for reasons you've mentioned and cable flexibility. The gk13 does carry guitar signal though. Currently, I have all in one with seperate trs cables in a cable wrap. Of course it's never good enough!

• FOR THE BENEFIT OF OTHERS... AFTER RECEIVING THE CABLES I ORDERED FROM EBAY THE QUALITY OF THESE ARE LESS THAN ASSURING. THEY ALSO ARENT VERY FLEXIBLE. After some digging, it seems these cables are not as widely available as I had thought and anything of decent quality will be priced quite high. Unless someone has a source for some quality, flexible cables at a fair price so I can have a few lengths and backups for various setups I will probably just stick with my cat 5 cable wrapped with trs...