Stereo or mono?

• Hi

when using the default output setting of the Kemper ie Main Outs. Do I record to a stereo track in Protools

Thanks

2 x Folreden Relic Strats - Folreden Les Paul - Kemper Stage - Cubase Pro13 - Suhr Classic S

• There is no default setting. Simply choose between stereo, mono or whatever you need. I believe that most of us track in mono. But if you like to track in stereo of course you have to choose a stereo track in ProTools.

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

• Thanks Kempermaniac

if I choose mono can I use one xlr cable instead of two?
    Also do the fx loose the stereo image?

Daft question I know lol

2 x Folreden Relic Strats - Folreden Les Paul - Kemper Stage - Cubase Pro13 - Suhr Classic S

• Yes, only one cable when tracking mono. Does your audio interface provide SPDIF?

Regarding stereo image: Anything that's mono is lacking the stereo image. But the stereo effects of the KPA are summed to mono so they still can be heard and of course tracked.

• I'm using an Apollo Twin it does have spdiff but I think I need a converter to use with the Kemper

• Don't know about the converter but SPDIF is another usable output for tracking and it keeps the signal all digital without AD/DA conversion. Also you're maybe interested in "reamping" (lots of threads about this here in the forum).

• I always track all my guitar parts in mono and add any effects in the DAW itself. That gives me much more flexibility in assuring that everything "fits" the way I want it to, because what sounds good solo often doesn't work well in the overall mix.

• The KPA before the post FX is mono in general. Just like most preamps. The signal path of stereo effects doubles the mono signal so you have two sources of the sound, which you need for stereo. So, as stated above by Kempermaniac, running only one side (think: source) from the output can never be stereo at all. That being said, you need to decide, wether you might want to add stereo effects in your DAW afterwards. Though I don't know Protools (nevertheless sure there is a way to put stereo fx on mono tracks in there somewhere), I'd recommend s/pdif, too. Since your Interface has an optical dig in, you will need something like this:

http://www.amazon.de/Coax-Tosl…r-Konverter/dp/B00548PAR6

I did not test that one in particular myself.

Gear: Strats & KPA. Plug Ins: Cubase, NI, iZotope, Slate, XLN, Spectrasonics.
    Music: Song from my former band: vimeo.com/10419626[/media][/media][/media] Something new on the way...

• I disagree about mono :)

Personally i record anything that has any kind of stereo effect like delay, reverb, chorus etc as stereo. The only thing i record as mono these days is a dry distorted guitar. No real reason not to these days.

I guess you're in the minority with your approach but if you're 100% confident about your time based FX why not print them when recording.
    In fact I want to experiment more with printing FX on the go for a more spontaneous and raw performance, like you do.