In ear monitoring via Auxiliary Input and headphone output?

• One band in which I play has a desk with two possible feeds for in ear monitoring. The drummer takes one feed into a separate small mixer into which he mixes samples and the other channel is vocal heavy for the two singers who take a wireless feed.

I was thinking at a gig last night if I could take an auxiliary output from the drummer's small mixer, feed that into the KPA auxiliary input and mix this with guitar in the KPA to an in ear mix for me. I wouldn't need to be wireless as I am tethered by my guitar cable anyway, so could use cable ties and join the headphone cable and guitar cable together.

Does anybody already use this method successfully? If not, will it be a good solution? The obvious answer is to try it although I do not have suitable headphones and would need to purchase a pair. The other obvious solution is to buy a new desk, although that is not my department!

• Hi Guitarjazzman,

your idea should work flawlessly, if you connect the mixer aux to the Kemper Alternative AND Return Input, otherwise you hear the signal only left or right. It was requested a while ago to implement a mono/stereo switch for the Kemper Aux In, but I'm afraid that isn't a feature, yet...

To connect headphones and guitar to the Kemper Input and Headphone Out I've used a twin microphone cable (Mogami 3106 or Cordial CMK 422), but you can tie your guitar and headphone cable together as well. I didn't like it too much because it kept tangling whenever I used it...but I'm moving quite a bit on stage :D I'm now using a wireless although the sound quality was better with the cable. I've also used a Fischer Amps Mini Bodypack to have a master volume for my headphones within reach. If plan to get a good cable solution, I would go for the Sommer Cable Tricone Symasym, which came out recently. That shouldn't tangle too much because the guitar and headphone cable are housed in one round cable.

Cheers,
    Stefan

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guitars for what I told her they cost.

• Thanks Stefan, good to know the idea is a possibility. The Sommer cable sounds like an excellent solution. I just need to decide on some good quality in ear headphones.

If I also purchase the Kemper remote to replace my FCB1010 and it fits in the Kemper bag, I will only need to take guitar and one bag to the gig. This is getting better and better! :)

• Thanks for the cable tips @malleus! I don't mean to derail the thread but to add to the cable options, I've been using the Rock On Audio CAB-001. It's a ready to use solution, but the downside to it is that it is just two cables in a sock so it is prone to getting a bit tangled inside. Not a big deal so far and I have been careful to treat it well when I roll it up.

I am also using a Fischer amps bodypack but I'm getting my mix from the board, through a Behringer headphone amp.

Although now with @Ingolfs review of the Wi Digital Audiolink I might have to try that!

• Going this route is very feasible and to me sounds good for the guitar signal. Just make sure the feed you get from the drummers mix does NOT have your guitar signal in it. If it does and there is any kind of latency or phase issues it may make your guitar signal direct from the KPA sound bad when you put them together.

sean

• It may not be a huge difference but worth listening for. Listen to the guitar signal straight out of the KPA headphone then mix in the guitar signal from the monitor mixer and see if it alters the sound or makes the guitar sound thin out

seanSean

• Hi Guitarjazzman,
    I use IEMs but found mixing Aux outputs with my guitar signal in them caused lots of phasing and latency problems.
    I now take a main mix from the desk to
    a headphone amp and put up with no control over levels. We don't have enough Auxes to send one without guitar to me, but if we did, I could then
    simply mix my guitar in on the Kemper with no effect on FOH.
    I hope to be able to find a way to do this in stereo but it requires a new desk!
    I use the cable listed below to avoid wire ties and cable tangle but it's not a high quality robust piece of kit. just the only one like it I could find at the time!
    I hope this helps?
    http://www.andertons.co.uk/gui…uitar-headphone-cable.asp
    Cheers
    Pre-Amp