EQ QUESTION

• I posted this in another thread, but in someone else's post so thought I would make my own to get a response :)

I wrote this in another OP' post and might have got lost

I went from a room with carpet, sometimes a blow up bed and and an office desk 12 X 10 or 12x 14 maybe , 2nd floor, to a room on the third floor , wooden floors with roof above the ceiling and generally the same size with a slightly different shape.

Had a kemper a few years ago, and had it sounding great in the room with carpet, but now have another kemper , same profiles though, and struggling a bit for over driving single note lead sounds.

I have tried EQ ING but I am just blind in turning knobs cause I don't really know what I am doing.

Is there a general formula to start with for the HS and kHz to cut or boost , is there a high and low cut that is best for this environment to be a starting point ?

I am using Adam 7x. The same I used a coule years ago in the carpeted room.

I have found a few presets las,t night that I EQ'd with high cut and graphic EQ after the amp cutting the higher frequency slightly and it seemed to help.

Is there other settings within the kemper I should be looking at to try ?

Thanks for your help.

Jerry

• Hi Jerry

first off, I am assuming that your goal is just listening, not recording here. Please confirm :)

I'm afraid there is no set formula based on the information. Its just a matter of trying.

methodology-wise id go with first the main eq on the unit. The studio eq or graphic eq next - but try it both before and after the stack to see what gives the best result .

and at least consider the possibility that it's just a memory thing - maybe the sound wasnt ALL that different in reality .

• Thanks Mike. Yeah I know it's definitely the room I just and it is for live use however I do have some recordings of my previous camper live in the room which I can try out again. But I was on the Gearpage in a lot of people responded gave me some good ideas with regards to speaker placement and possibly putting them on pads , etc.

so when I have the time I'm going to try a few of these things out and see how it goes
    Thanks for response , I appreciate the input

• My advice would be to put some sound absorption behind the speakers (you can also put them in key spaces in the room). I used to have all kinds of problems before I even got the kemper until I got some corning 703 and made some acoustic panels. There very easy to make, all you do is wrap them with breathable fabric of you choice. This is not Kemper specific, it's a general problem that needs to be addressed if you're looking for accurate reproduction of your sound system. I almost returned some studio speakers because of some rattle that couldn't be eliminated by any EQ method, until I thought of forking out some money for acoustic panels.

These are not the ones I bought but they seem reasonable.
    http://www.gikacoustics.com/pr…owens-corning-703-2-inch/

• I raised the monitors up so they are at the recommended ear level , also padded a little , and it made a huge difference.

This is room is going to be rearranged soon. We basically use it for storing extra clothes , and odds and ends, and it has become my dedicated music room.

Previously, I had a spare office / bedroom that sometimes had a mattress (air bed ) and a desk and carpeted. In that room I just got very lucky.my monitors were on the floor but the kemper sounded incredible through them. It was just chance that the room was acoustically good for how I was using them.

But once we get this room settled I will look into the treatment . I appreciate the link !

Thanks again