Are these studio monitors ideal for Kemper?

• Hello!

Today I unplugged my Kemper from my active monitor (wedge) and hooked it up to some old studio monitors I have to see how it would sound. I actually liked the sound much better from the studio monitors. The monitors I have are nothing special I bought them used years ago and used them mainly for listening to music from my computer. The studio monitors I have are Alesis M1 Active 620's (link http://www.amazon.com/Alesis-M…620-Powered/dp/B000H8XW1E).

Are these ideal for use with the Kemper or would the Kemper sound and perform better if I bought better ones? The reason I ask is these studio monitors have mid range, treble and bass controls so I assume this is not a FRFR type of speaker you should use with the Kemper.

Call me crazy but for whatever reason the studio monitors seem to bring out much more detail and character of the actual amp that is profiled. With my wedge a lot of the profiles sounded very similiar. I know that it doesn't make sense but it was enough for me to decide to sell my wedge.

I'm not opposed to buying better studio monitors if you guys feel it would be worth it? If you think the difference in sound would be negligible please let me know. Appreciate your input!!

• Those speakers are fine for monitoring at home, and if they sound good stick with them. The EQ controls are probably there to help make room adjustments as needed. If it ain't broke, don't mess with it And enjoy playing.

• Thanks everyone for your input. I'm definitely enjoying the monitors more than the wedge I was using. I swear I hear way more character of the amp profile than I did with my wedge. Having the stereo effect of two speakers is definitely an added bonus.

Ingolf- It's funny you mention the HS80's because I've been looking at those. I like the idea of an 8 inch speaker over the M1's 6.5. On a side note man I read this forum a lot and you are always very helpful. Many questions I've had that I researched through this forum you seem to always be the one with some of the best input/answers. You and MeamBobbo and many others here deserve many thanks for taking the time to help.

• I have a better tone from my Rokit 5's than the cab that I'm using, because I'm getting more or less a FRFR sound. They sound fantastic, and they are, by no means, top of the line monitors. It's convinced me to go FRFR as a Christmas gift to myself :)

Guitars: Parker Fly Mojo Flame, Ibanez RG7620 7-string, Legator Ninja 8-string, Fender Strat & Tele, Breedlove Pro C25
    Pedalboard: Templeboards Trio 43, Mission VM-1, Morley Bad Horsie, RJM Mini Effect Gizmo, 6 Degrees FX Sally Drive, Foxpedals The City, Addrock Ol' Yeller, RJM MMGT/22, Mission RJM EP-1, Strymon Timeline + BigSky
    Stack: Furman PL-Plus C, Kemper Rack

• Ingolf- It's funny you mention the HS80's because I've been looking at those. I like the idea of an 8 inch speaker over the M1's 6.5. On a side note man I read this forum a lot and you are always very helpful. Many questions I've had that I researched through this forum you seem to always be the one with some of the best input/answers. You and MeamBobbo and many others here deserve many thanks for taking the time to help.

Thank you, and you're welcome.

• Have alesis m1, sounds good, but too little headroom for guitar. I now Use 2 Yamaha HS80, these go relatively loud, if you put kemper main vol on max, and rig volume also between 3/4 to max it gets fairly loud but still no air movement. I am still missing the "moving air" percussion effect from my 40w fender amp, so planning to look at dxr12 or something similar or guitar cab to put more power behind the kemper.
    as these differences show more on clean to crunch sounds, less on heavy distortion, it kind of depends what music you play.

• Have alesis m1, sounds good, but too little headroom for guitar. I now Use 2 Yamaha HS80, these go relatively loud, if you put kemper main vol on max, and rig volume also between 3/4 to max it gets fairly loud but still no air movement. I am still missing the "moving air" percussion effect from my 40w fender amp, so planning to look at dxr12 or something similar or guitar cab to put more power behind the kemper.
    as these differences show more on clean to crunch sounds, less on heavy distortion, it kind of depends what music you play.

I'm also in the market for an active amp. I was told the DXR10 is even better for KPA application.

• I only spend like 30 min in a shop comparing them, and had to swap power lead and jack each time, so it was only a vague impression I had. But still. Other thread with video comparison spend more time on it compared both der 10 and 12 and , for clean to crunch, found the 12 less boxy/little more airy. However for overdrive , not sure you can hear the difference, hence my point earlier about type of music. And as said so many times, all this is very personal. And evolves in time. I remember testing kemper w headphones in shop and couldn't hear much difference between different profiles, so left disappointed by the hype, until I ordered one from Internet to try out, and learned to use it and appreciate it. More I start using it, more I can get great tones and like it. If anyone wants to get together around Belgium area, happy to bring along HS80, and do shootout. Might even order a dxr12 to try out, if someone can provide CLR or other popular FRFR or amp/cab setup to compare. Would love an HS80 sound but with the power of a Marshall 4x12 cab./stack. Playing percussive notes with hand damping just doesn't do it on monitors like my clean Fender can. Maybe we should hire a room somewhere and do a "user conference" rather than trying to describe sound with words ... ?